Reds President Threatens Fans

7 hours ago, 4 Quarters said:

This is the history of the different Reds ownership groups, it's been that way for ever.  Even the big Red Machine was dismantled before its time.

Marge done as much as anyone to keep the team afloat, and she got ran out of town.

I'm not saying Little Bob chose the correct wording, but the man at least spoke the truth.  It's hard to survive in a small market.  How many of you or your friends holds season tickets?

Marge wasn't run out of town for any of the teams on the field performance.  She was run for her off the field actions, as well as a few on the field things (see her drunken World Series spiel on the military boys in the Far East.)

• Like 1

On 4/13/2022 at 2:26 PM, CincySportsFan said:

So, you're fine with owners making money hand-over-fist...just not the people that actually play the game?  Got it.

Every team is probably going to be given about $100 million this year just in the form of tv deals (both national and local).  Yet Baltimore and Oakland have a payroll that's not even half that.  Pittsburgh and Cleveland aren't even 2/3'rds.  There's absolutely no excuse for that.  They're getting $100 million without selling one dang ticket.  Pockets are being filled there...it's just not the players'.

If baseball teams (owners) were losing that much money in these small markets, you'd think they'd be up for sale a lot more often, wouldn't you?  I mean, no smart business man is going to invest hundreds of millions of hard-earned dollars into a business model that's set up against them, right?

You're joking that people playing the game aren't making money right? It's real simple....if you don't want the owners to make the money DON'T GO, DON'T WATCH. Bottom line.... it's a business. Why don't cities make owners pay for stadiums? Taxpayers foot the bill. The owners pony up money when others can't and turn a big profit. It will continue to be that and more. I think a performance based salary would be interesting. Bad year....pay cut. Good year.....raise. Actually between TV and revenue sharing the Reds will get about 154 million...and I believe payroll is around 144 million. How many people do you know that earn the MLBPA minimum salary in their line of work? Tough to feel sorry for these guys.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/13/2022 at 1:53 PM, 9068 said:

Exactly. See a lot of games with announced attendance of 12-14k....and that's counting EMPTY seats previously paid for. I live 5 miles away....never go. MLBPA makes me sick with demands. Guys hit .250 and earn 20 million. Wow. Guys throw 100 pitches and it's like a career milestone. Lost all interest.

They don’t make ‘em like they used to.   Makes me pine for the days of Wilbur Wood. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, 9068 said:

You're joking that people playing the game aren't making money right? It's real simple....if you don't want the owners to make the money DON'T GO, DON'T WATCH. Bottom line.... it's a business. Why don't cities make owners pay for stadiums? Taxpayers foot the bill. The owners pony up money when others can't and turn a big profit. It will continue to be that and more. I think a performance based salary would be interesting. Bad year....pay cut. Good year.....raise. Actually between TV and revenue sharing the Reds will get about 154 million...and I believe payroll is around 144 million. How many people do you know that earn the MLBPA minimum salary in their line of work? Tough to feel sorry for these guys.

To take merit-based rewards to the team level, let’s consider how European football works.  It will NEVER NEVER EVER EVER happen in American professional sports, but wouldn’t relegation be fascinating?

• Like 3

On 4/14/2022 at 10:14 PM, mcpapa said:

They don’t make ‘em like they used to.   Makes me pine for the days of Wilbur Wood. 

Wilber Woods 1973 season.  24-20  3.59 era  359 innings  48 starts !!! That's almost  2 seasons for these guy's now.....LOL!  It's a shame what's happened to baseball. I don't watch as much anymore. It's almost unwatchable!    imho  Cheers!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
45 minutes ago, Jumper_Dad said:

This made me snort laugh!

FB_IMG_1651545208655.jpg

Maybe if there was a (what's left of) the "BeachBoys" concert after.   But they wouldn't want to use both their big money makers in one night.

• Haha 1