War in Ukraine

PP1

On pro-establishment Russian "60 Minutes" TV show, an official opined that Russia should take out Ramstein Air Base in Germany (where a huge contingent of US forces are) and should have nuked the Queens funeral since so many of their enemies were all in one place at the same time.

Hopefully this is just the mindset of one nut and not something being bantered around.

Russia put out the call for 300,000 reservist with former military experience. The call up stopped just short of instituting a full draft.

On this news the Russian stock market drop 10%. Another factor was the news that the country will tax exports to raise 3 trillion rubles (over $49 billion) to cover budget deficits.

Thoughts from the last few days.

Anti-war protest erupted in several areas in Russia this week. Many protesters arrested and allegedly being offered the opportunity to immediately serve in the military in Ukraine OR take 15 years in prison. "Russia, the land of choices."

A few weeks ago Russia reiterated their doctrine for the use of nuclear weapons. One of the main tenants was a direct attack on Russia or Russian citizens. Fast Forward to this week's "referendum", where Russian officials accompanied by armed police or military went door to door in occupied territory giving the citizens a choice to rejoin Russia or not. This would seem to give Russia, at least in their minds, justification for a nuclear escalation in Ukraine tries to retake those areas militarily. 

I still think there is a very very remote chance that Russia will use nuclear weapons. Based on the unbalanced or deranged decisions coming out of Russia, that chance though remote is a possibility. 

Latest update from US Embassy in Moscow.

The US Embassy in Moscow said in a new security alert that US citizens should not travel to Russia and urged those traveling or residing in the country to get out "immediately," warning that dual nationals could be conscripted for military service as Russia scrambles to find more people to fight in Ukraine.

11 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

Have they discovered what happened? Early reports I heard speculated that the Russians themselves did it. 

Not that I am aware of and anything is possible but why cut off your revenue sources if you are Russia.  You may want to cut other countries off but you also want to be able to supply other countries too so Russia damaging their cash cows doesn't make any sense to me.  If I was investigating it my top two suspects would be Ukraine and America. 

1 hour ago, theguru said:

Not that I am aware of and anything is possible but why cut off your revenue sources if you are Russia.  You may want to cut other countries off but you also want to be able to supply other countries too so Russia damaging their cash cows doesn't make any sense to me.  If I was investigating it my top two suspects would be Ukraine and America. 

Ukraine for sure is a suspect. US is less likely than Russia IMO.