2022-2023 Bengals Football (Information, Predictions, & General Discussion)

22 minutes ago, theguru said:

Hey fc, what two positions do you think the Bengals need to focus on in the draft?

Well I’m hoping they still go out and sign another corner and DL. Which I think would allow them to go BPA, whatever position that may be. With that said the last two years they spent money on defense and used the draft for offense. This year they spent money more on offense, so I think we see them use the draft more for defense this year. 

Unless the center Tyler Linderbaum falls to them, or a top guard like a Zion Johnson falls to them. Then I expect to see them go defense with their first two picks being in the secondary and DL. 

Also I wouldn’t be surprised to see them go WR in the third or 4th round. WR is still a quiet need, because after the top 3 it is a big drop off. Plus IMO they may move on from Tyler Boyd after this season.  With Higgins and Burrow being up for extensions next year, they probably would need to cut or trade Boyd preferably after this year to save some money. So they need to find a young WR with speed hopefully that they can use for depth this year and then move into the top 3 rotation next year if they move on from Boyd. 

Which the WR they draft doesn’t necessarily have to be a pure slot guy to replace Boyd. It can be a guy with speed that plays on the outside. Which would allow them to move Chase around and use him in the slot more too, since they didn’t do that to much with Boyd being there. Being able to move Chase around just makes him that more dangerous and also harder to double. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, futurecoach said:

Well I’m hoping they still go out and sign another corner and DL. Which I think would allow them to go BPA, whatever position that may be. With that said the last two years they spent money on defense and used the draft for offense. This year they spent money more on offense, so I think we see them use the draft more for defense this year. 

Unless the center Tyler Linderbaum falls to them, or a top guard like a Zion Johnson falls to them. Then I expect to see them go defense with their first two picks being in the secondary and DL. 

Also I wouldn’t be surprised to see them go WR in the third or 4th round. WR is still a quiet need, because after the top 3 it is a big drop off. Plus IMO they may move on from Tyler Boyd after this season.  With Higgins and Burrow being up for extensions next year, they probably would need to cut or trade Boyd preferably after this year to save some money. So they need to find a young WR with speed hopefully that they can use for depth this year and then move into the top 3 rotation next year if they move on from Boyd. 

Which the WR they draft doesn’t necessarily have to be a pure slot guy to replace Boyd. It can be a guy with speed that plays on the outside. Which would allow them to move Chase around and use him in the slot more too, since they didn’t do that to much with Boyd being there. Being able to move Chase around just makes him that more dangerous and also harder to double. 

Thanks fc, I really appreciate it.

One last question, are we serious right now about signing either a FA corner or DL?

4 minutes ago, theguru said:

Thanks fc, I really appreciate it.

One last question, are we serious right now about signing either a FA corner or DL?

I definitely think they will sign a DL. Corner apparently they have talked to Gilmore some. However, it still would be a surprise if they got him. 

I think they may look into cutting Wayne’s, and then bringing him back on a cheap one year deal. 

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, MaddenCurse44 said:

If they was smart they would draft a linebacker where they are thin at.

Well considering that they are not thin at linebacker, that wouldn’t be to smart. DL, CB, and S are all spots they can use more depth before linebacker. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, theguru said:

What makes you think that and what couple of positions would you go after first if you were in charge?

From what I've read, this is a deep class for DB's and DL's who should be available on day 2.  I think they target those positions.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, REALSPORT said:

From what I've read, this is a deep class for DB's and DL's who should be available on day 2.  I think they target those positions.

Do you see us going after either of those positions in free agency?

14 minutes ago, theguru said:

Do you see us going after either of those positions in free agency?

I believe I saw that, after the Collins signing, they only have about $13M left in cap space.  Now, if they release/restructure somebody else, that could free up some more.  And I believe that number also takes into account where their draft picks are slotted.  So, you may have enough money to sign a backup (or two), but you won't be able to go crazy for a high-profile player.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, CincySportsFan said:

Looks like the Bengals have officially cut Trae Waynes.  Saves them $10M in salary, but still take a $5M dead cap hit.

That seemed like such a great signing.   Too bad injuries really kept him off the field for the better part of 2 seasons.   A healthy Waynes may have been worth keeping.   The version of Trae Waynes they had was not.

On 3/21/2022 at 1:36 PM, futurecoach said:

Well considering that they are not thin at linebacker, that wouldn’t be to smart. DL, CB, and S are all spots they can use more depth before linebacker. 

They have Pratt and Wilson and average backups behind them.

3 hours ago, MaddenCurse44 said:

They have Pratt and Wilson and average backups behind them.

What teams in the NFL have better than just average backups behind their starting linebackers? 

The Bengals backup linebackers filled in very nicely when Wilson missed a couple games and then when Pratt missed a game. 

On 3/21/2022 at 4:33 PM, CincySportsFan said:

I believe I saw that, after the Collins signing, they only have about $13M left in cap space.  Now, if they release/restructure somebody else, that could free up some more.  And I believe that number also takes into account where their draft picks are slotted.  So, you may have enough money to sign a backup (or two), but you won't be able to go crazy for a high-profile player.

The Bengals normally stay about $10m below the cap to add players during the season.   I think that other than "drop him and pick up him" situations, they are done in free agency.  They may surprise us though.

1 hour ago, REALSPORT said:

The Bengals normally stay about $10m below the cap to add players during the season.   I think that other than "drop him and pick up him" situations, they are done in free agency.  They may surprise us though.

All reports suggest they are not done in free agency. Now don’t expect a huge big money signing. However, very good chance they possibly sign another veteran guard to compete for the LG spot with Jackson. Also same with getting a veteran on the DL and CB spot still. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, futurecoach said:

All reports suggest they are not done in free agency. Now don’t expect a huge big money signing. However, very good chance they possibly sign another veteran guard to compete for the LG spot with Jackson. Also same with getting a veteran on the DL and CB spot still. 

I just read a short article on CincyJungle that says we need a CB, DT, and DE.  The article said the bulk of the 22 starters heading into next season seem to be set, but some work in the depth department remains yet to be done.