2022-2023 Bengals Football (Information, Predictions, & General Discussion)

3 minutes ago, theguru said:

I just read a short article on CincyJungle that says we need a CB, DT, and DE.  The article said the bulk of the 22 starters heading into next season seem to be set, but some work in the depth department remains yet to be done.

They are correct. Need to add another veteran in the secondary and DL. Then look for a veteran like a Spain to compete for Carman for the left guard sport. 

Which I just looked up the up to date salary cap space. It looks like the Bengals have a little over 21 million left still. Some of that will be for rollover and draft picks. So should have between 10 to 12 million still to sign some more guys on probably one year type of deals. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, theguru said:

According to CincyJungle.com here are six free agents the Bengals should be interested in:

Nate Ebner - Safety and Rugby Player

Solomon Thomas - DL tweener

Kevin King - CB

Tre Flowers - CB

Jordan Evans - LB

Larry Ogunjobi - DT

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2022/3/28/22997061/nfl-free-agents-2022-6-players-bengals

I won't get into these particular players over someone else, but I do agree with the positions they've targeted.  The one thing that you absolutely can't forecast from one season to another is health.  I don't know that, as Bengals fans, you can expect them to be as fortunate as they were last year.  After having addressed the glaring weakness in their starting O-line, the next best thing they can do is to build some quality depth.

• Like 1

Just now, CincySportsFan said:

WR Stanley Morgan Jr. re-signed to a 2-year deal.  Good to have him back for special teams, but it'll be interesting to see if they try working him in more as a sub on offense, as a potential replacement for Boyd after this year.

Agree.  Morgan is someone I think has more in him. 

28 minutes ago, CincySportsFan said:

Auden Tate has signed with the Falcons, so he won't be back.  Probably a smart move by him, given the suspension to Ridley probably means more chances at playing time.

Could never figure that dude out. Seems physically that it's all there, but could never get one the field much. Hope he has a great career in Atlanta. 

17 hours ago, CincySportsFan said:

WR Stanley Morgan Jr. re-signed to a 2-year deal.  Good to have him back for special teams, but it'll be interesting to see if they try working him in more as a sub on offense, as a potential replacement for Boyd after this year.

I would think if they truly like his potential as a WR, they would have already tried to work him in a little bit more than they have. Instead he isn’t even the first WR in if one of the top 3 need a break. He only seems to be in when it’s a running play. 

I think he can potentially do more, but I just don’t think the coaches view him as that type of player. Hence why I think we see them draft a WR, most likely with some speed in the 3rd or 4th round. 

21 hours ago, theguru said:

According to CincyJungle.com here are six free agents the Bengals should be interested in:

Kevin King - CB

Tre Flowers - CB

Jordan Evans - LB

Larry Ogunjobi - DT

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2022/3/28/22997061/nfl-free-agents-2022-6-players-bengals

I would like to see them sign Thomas, King, and Flowers out of this list. Flowers basically was used as a third safety type last year, when they brought him in to cover TEs. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, futurecoach said:

I would like to see them sign Thomas, King, and Flowers out of this list. Flowers basically was used as a third safety type last year, when they brought him in to cover TEs. 

Agree. What Flowers offered is overlooked by so many. He absolutely took away some insanely productive tight ends last year. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, futurecoach said:

I would think if they truly like his potential as a WR, they would have already tried to work him in a little bit more than they have. Instead he isn’t even the first WR in if one of the top 3 need a break. He only seems to be in when it’s a running play. 

I think he can potentially do more, but I just don’t think the coaches view him as that type of player. Hence why I think we see them draft a WR, most likely with some speed in the 3rd or 4th round. 

Possibly.  If you look at the rest of the receiving corps from last year, Mike Thomas had 11 targets (but only 5 receptions), Trent Irwin had 5 targets, Morgan and Tate each had 4, and Trent Taylor had 3.  Morgan was the only one of the bunch credited with a carry (just 1).  So, not a lot of experience to draw on. 

But, whether it's someone from the draft, or one of these remaining guys, it'd be nice to get someone somewhat involved in the mix this year, because I really don't see Boyd being here after this year.

On 3/28/2022 at 11:31 AM, theguru said:

Kevin King - CB

Tre Flowers - CB

Jordan Evans - LB

Larry Ogunjobi - DT

Solomon Thomas is signing with the Jets.  It seems like the Jets have a spy planted inside PBS. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, CincySportsFan said:

Possibly.  If you look at the rest of the receiving corps from last year, Mike Thomas had 11 targets (but only 5 receptions), Trent Irwin had 5 targets, Morgan and Tate each had 4, and Trent Taylor had 3.  Morgan was the only one of the bunch credited with a carry (just 1).  So, not a lot of experience to draw on. 

But, whether it's someone from the draft, or one of these remaining guys, it'd be nice to get someone somewhat involved in the mix this year, because I really don't see Boyd being here after this year.

Agreed that this probably will be Boyd’s last year as a Bengal. After this year they probably should look to try to trade him to at least get something for him while they can. Since there is probably no change he will get another contract here, because they just won’t have the money for it. 

• 3 weeks later...