Cal and Allen

Cary Grant

I want to see Allen be as successful as possible but he's honestly just not that good of an overall ball player, at UK's level.

It wasn't Tuesday, but the game before, he gets in and immediately turns the ball over by stepping out of bounds because he doesn't know where he was on the court.  Then right after, he completely air balls a three.  I can't remember the third play but there was a third negative play immediately following that.

He can shoot wide open looks but if that's all he brings to the table, there isn't really much room for him in the rotation.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

He hasn't been shooting it very well the last few games.  He stepped out of bounds on a shot fake (Which was the right play) and Cal yelled at him for not shooting.  A minute later he gets ball in same situation and rush's a shot...which is an air ball.  

He has gotten taller...if he wants to play at UK he needs to be able to guard the post, rebound, and be a stretch 4 player...not sure Cal would ever use him that way however.

6 minutes ago, okie1 said:

He hasn't been shooting it very well the last few games.  He stepped out of bounds on a shot fake (Which was the right play) and Cal yelled at him for not shooting.  A minute later he gets ball in same situation and rush's a shot...which is an air ball. 

So Cal's fault for a bad, unforced turnover and Cal's fault for the airball? 

Probably Cal's fault that he can't guard anyone too.

• Like 1

Not Cal's fault...maybe the kid isn't handling the pressure...maybe he is in a slump...maybe he isn't good enough.  

Anyone who has watched Cal and UK over the years know that some players have longer leashes than others.  

Mintz comes in firing air balls, turning it over and missing def assignments, but his leash was a lot longer.

It is what it is...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, okie1 said:

Not Cal's fault...maybe the kid isn't handling the pressure...maybe he is in a slump...maybe he isn't good enough.  

Anyone who has watched Cal and UK over the years know that some players have longer leashes than others.  

Mintz comes in firing air balls, turning it over and missing def assignments, but his leash was a lot longer.

It is what it is...

Its a longer leash that has been earned. Mintz gets way more done on the court than Allen.

• Like 1

On 12/10/2021 at 7:26 PM, Hatz said:

Just never saw the fascination for Allen’s game. He has great form but under pressure he doesn’t seem to hit the 3 like he’s labeled to. Just my take. 

I will say this the games he has played a lot, are the games he has seemed to shoot his best. Which makes sense, because people usually need to get in the flow of the game to get going. Problem is he does have a short leash. So if comes in and messes up, or even if he misses his first shot, then he usually gets pulled quick. He usually only gets to stay in if he happens to hit his first shot he takes. 

9 hours ago, futurecoach said:

I will say this the games he has played a lot, are the games he has seemed to shoot his best. Which makes sense, because people usually need to get in the flow of the game to get going. Problem is he does have a short leash. So if comes in and messes up, or even if he misses his first shot, then he usually gets pulled quick. He usually only gets to stay in if he happens to hit his first shot he takes. 

Where was he at last night with 0-11 three pt shooting? He never plays when he should.

• Like 1

Allen is an offensive player, not just a shooter.  He understands head fakes and he understands how to pass and feed the post. 

He isn't getting that opportunity at UK.  Cal would rather eat nails then see Allen prove him wrong.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, okie1 said:

Allen is an offensive player, not just a shooter.  He understands head fakes and he understands how to pass and feed the post. 

He isn't getting that opportunity at UK.  Cal would rather eat nails then see Allen prove him wrong.

Does Allen's play when he does get on the floor support his understanding of how to feed the post, etc? I've only ever seen him shoot and be out of position defensively with a turnover or two sprinkled in.

I will admit I don't watch a ton of UK basketball though. Those late tips hurt me lol. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, okie1 said:

Cal would rather eat nails then see Allen prove him wrong.

That makes absolutely zero sense. So he offers a full ride scholarship and denies him playing time because he doesn't want the player (he recruited) to prove that he can do more than what Calipari thinks he can do?

• Like 6

3 hours ago, okie1 said:

Based on his play last year, I didn't think Allen was a very good passer at all, especially when feeding the post.

He also never seemed to be able to create his own shot at this level.  Catch and shoot, when not rushing, all damn day.  But overall offensive player, I sure didn't see that on the collegiate level last year.

• Like 2