Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

2A Football in 2022

Featured Replies

1 hour ago, bigblue96 said:

When you combine the talent Beechwood and LCA have at their disposal with the schedules they play the rest of 2A is always going to play catch up.  I didn’t include Mayfield because I don’t know enough about the caliber of teams in the West that Mayfield plays.  More often than not when the Walton Veronas, Shelby Valleys and Middlesboros play a Beechwood or LCA in the playoffs that is the best team they have played all year. That is not the case for Beechwood and LCA.

In this current alignment, Year in and year out there’s about a 90% chance the 2A champ will be Beechwood, LCA, or Mayfield.  Include Somerset and maybe Danville and it goes up to about 98%.

Mayfield doesn't play catch up. They've been to 10 of the last 12 State Championship playoffs. 

  • Replies 64
  • Views 9.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • I can't help but wonder what kind of team we will field next year.  All the physical componets were undamaged but there will be some families forced to move to other places to find housing and jobs fo

  • Agree R1 Sports Fan as Mayfield is young and will definitely be a contender in 2A. 2A should be very competitive in 2022- any other teams to watch out for as I can see the following (apologize if any

  • snakesnot_2000
    snakesnot_2000

    Mayfield doesn't play catch up. They've been to 10 of the last 12 State Championship playoffs. 

2 minutes ago, snakesnot_2000 said:

Mayfield doesn't play catch up. They've been to 10 of the last 12 State Championship playoffs. 

Read the entire post when I said there’s a 90% chance the 2A champ will be one of the big 3 .. I agree I just don’t know enough about their schedule and if the schedule prepares them for the big game.  I agree the talent is typically there and they will have a chance most years. 

Are any teams supposed to drop to 2a or move out of 2a with the new alignment in 2023? 

14 minutes ago, bigblue96 said:

Read the entire post when I said there’s a 90% chance the 2A champ will be one of the big 3 .. I agree I just don’t know enough about their schedule and if the schedule prepares them for the big game.  I agree the talent is typically there and they will have a chance most years. 

Schedule has nothing to do with it. Beechwood played the same schedule as Mayfield this year while LCA played a killer schedule. You see how that turned out.

12 hours ago, Jason Bucklen said:

Beechwood had probably the best Freshmen class they ever had this year. They aren’t going anywhere as well. 

Beechwood had multiple injured players this year in freshman class.   They will have them back next year as well.   Strong class!!

13 hours ago, Jason Bucklen said:

Beechwood had probably the best Freshmen class they ever had this year. They aren’t going anywhere as well. 

Oh lord, I've heard this line before ?.  Sorry JB, your gonna kill me but I couldn't help myself on that one.

51 minutes ago, Toothpick said:

Oh lord, I've heard this line before ?.  Sorry JB, your gonna kill me but I couldn't help myself on that one.

Haha true dat.

If your a Mayfield fan, you have to be excited, in 2019 it was the largest rebuild in 20+ years and this year the Cards made big strides but everyone was pretty sure the final 4 was the likely ceiling.  With the returning players the Cards should be the juggernaut of old. The steady improvement of Sophmore QB Cartwright was significant this year and if he contines to improve the Cards will have the other pieces of the puzzle needed.  The recieving corps should be outstanding with Stephenson and Jackson back who both had great seasons this year and Starks back at running back is going to be huge.  Having all state linebacker Rogers back from his injury on defense is huge and will anchor the best linbacking core Mayfield has had in some time.  I looked over the returning players and stats for LCA and Beechwood.   LCA lost 6 on defense and 7 on offense while Beechwood lost 5 on offense and 6 on defense.  Im guessing the QB spot will be the telling sopt for Beechwood next year and it looks like the replacement will be young.  

It will be interesting to see what Murray looks like next year.  The new head coach Bowling has a handful of state titles in Tennessee and upset Mayfield this year.  

I think Danville is a year away if they can keep kids from going to Boyle County. They have a great Freshman Class. 

Murray returns a lot on offense. They have to replace Rowdy Sokolowski who played so well this year. They lose a good linemen but return the others. I think the next qb should be good at their system. He is a strong kid who reclassified and will be a junior with 2 years to run offense. All other running backs return. Murray will lose some guys in their front 7 on defense. 
 

I think Murray will be improved with a full off season under Coach Bowling. If they take care of the ball they should be able to hang tough with Mayfield and give themselves a chance like they did in first game. 
 

Mayfield is certainly the favorite out of the west but Murray can challenge. I think Caldwell loses quite a bit but is always solid.

On 12/7/2021 at 9:26 AM, snakesnot_2000 said:

Mayfield doesn't play catch up. They've been to 10 of the last 12 State Championship playoffs. 

It's actually 9 out of 12.  They didn't make it this year, last year or 2016, right?  They've been to 4 out of 7 since moving to 2A with 1 championship.  They're still an elite program no doubt.  But they haven't dominated 2A like they did 1A.  

43 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

It's actually 9 out of 12.  They didn't make it this year, last year or 2016, right?  They've been to 4 out of 7 since moving to 2A with 1 championship.  They're still an elite program no doubt.  But they haven't dominated 2A like they did 1A.  

7 seasons 4 State Championship games in 2A. I don't expect them to dominate , there are too many good teams. Beechwood will have a lull, they have periods of dominance then periods of not dominance. 

1 hour ago, snakesnot_2000 said:

7 seasons 4 State Championship games in 2A. I don't expect them to dominate , there are too many good teams. Beechwood will have a lull, they have periods of dominance then periods of not dominance. 

None since Beechwood joined the 2A party though, right?  ??‍♂️

Mayfield beat BW 35-7 in 19. I believe we would have beaten them a few other years. Bw would lost about 6 times to Mayfield from 09 to 19. Seems like you forget the beat downs when you want to.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.