How many running clocks will we see in this week?

Bac2369

How many running clocks this week?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. How many running clocks this week?

6 minutes ago, theguru said:

We are in the everybody gets a trophy age and apparently that includes coaches too or we wouldn't have this many classes. 

Do you think home field advantage and long road trips are to blame for running clocks?  Look at Ohio for example, neutral fields and both teams travel about the same, equals closer more competitive games I think.  

Just now, Brcatz said:

Do you think home field advantage and long road trips are to blame for running clocks?  Look at Ohio for example, neutral fields and both teams travel about the same, equals closer more competitive games I think.  

More teams per class and overall better football in Ohio.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Bac2369 said:

So what was our number tonight?

Pikeville, Beechwood, Lexington Christian, Boyle County and South Warren all got the running clock so the number is five. 

Male went for two with a 41-7 lead and didn’t get it. Frederick Douglass kicked the extra point when they were up 34-0, so there’s two more that were within a two point conversion of the running clock. Russellville was up 34-7 late in the fourth quarter. The other games were competitive at some point in the second half. 

29 minutes ago, DragonFire said:

So eight of 12 semifinals were either running clocks or close to it. My, what a great system. 

One of the 12 I don’t think you can blame on the system. I’d say at this point, Male will be close to or will put a running clock on any team in the state. That team is GOOD. 

Is the way to fix this to not play within district the first two rounds? Change RPI? Or both? 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, theguru said:

We are in the everybody gets a trophy age and apparently that includes coaches too or we wouldn't have this many classes. 

KHSAA should’ve gone to 5 instead of 6.

But truth be told if state still had 4 classes, the 2/4 championships could easily be bloodbaths ( Male/Boyle vs anybody) .  

14 hours ago, Tigerpride94 said:

Right. Texas 6A has over 200 teams. That would be like having whole state of Kentucky in one class. If Texas did like Kentucky then they probably have like 34 classes.

Had dinner with Commissioner Tackett years ago and suggested half as many classes as teams. Everyone is either a champion or runner-up lol. Guess he didn't buy it lol.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, goallinestand06 said:

One of the 12 I don’t think you can blame on the system. I’d say at this point, Male will be close to or will put a running clock on any team in the state. That team is GOOD. 

Is the way to fix this to not play within district the first two rounds? Change RPI? Or both? 

This setup was made to give the best team(s) home field advantage throughout the playoffs and to put the best 2 teams in the finals. For the most part this system has done that. I would like to see the RPI used in all rounds. Do East and west 1vs16 2vs15 and so on. Then starting in the quarterfinals reseed it state wide, 1vs 8, 2vs 7. Then once more in the semis. 

2 hours ago, WestDanville said:

This setup was made to give the best team(s) home field advantage throughout the playoffs and to put the best 2 teams in the finals. For the most part this system has done that. I would like to see the RPI used in all rounds. Do East and west 1vs16 2vs15 and so on. Then starting in the quarterfinals reseed it state wide, 1vs 8, 2vs 7. Then once more in the semis. 

That is not the worst idea either. 

On 11/26/2021 at 11:08 PM, theguru said:

I wish they would go back to 4 classes and two teams in the playoffs per Dist. Some of these running clock games would be eliminated. 4 classes and 2 teams seemed to work well. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, brooksville said:

The KHSAA has a great visual of all the teams separated by district and classes on a map.  At the end of the day, it went to 6 classes because that’s what the coaches wanted. 

The alignment tab:  https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/1/viewer?mid=1VRZArVmbCYCGsYMP-BBE-Ih4R_zxa7uo&ll=37.04337462253205%2C-84.9636341372974&z=6

I don’t recall the survey related to that.  You’re saying the majority of the coaches voted for six classes?

Even if I accept that, there are quite a few examples of the coaches wanting something done and the KHSAA either ignoring them or being slow to implement. So it’s not as if the KHSAA couldn’t go back to four classes by recognizing that it is a better solution.