4th Down Chain Measurement

Has anyone ever seen this? Central Hardin had a 4th down and three late in the 4th quarter Friday night. A run play seemed to get the first down but was close enough to require a chain measurement. Instead of securing the ball at the location where the tackle was made, the referee picked the ball up and walked it to the sideline, placed it on the ground and proceeded to measure it with the chain marker? The chain measurement was then short.  I believe that this is an incorrect method of measuring and cannot be considered as accurate as placing the ball down where the player was tackled, then bringing the chains out to that location. This was a strange and key play in the game as Central Hardin was driving for a go- ahead TD. This is the first time that I have ever seen a chain measurement done this way.

I personally have never understood chain measurements. I get that it may be the best option that we have, but the placement of the ball is completely subjective to where the official believes that the ball should be placed, not exact. If you are the official making the call, stand on the first down line and just make the call if its a first down or not.

Go watch the Corbin/Lincoln game. It happened the same way you described. Don’t take my word for it go watch the film. It should be a measurement. No moving of the ball until after the measurements. Heck the referee in our game picked the ball up while being asked about it. 

Not the first time this has happened.  Probably about 10 or so years ago, I saw the same thing happen at Grant County (don't remember who they were playing).  Like HCP, I was in complete disbelief as to what I was seeing.  I even asked two guys next to me, if I actually saw what I thought I saw.  Unbelievable.

This is somewhat related.  I have noticed that most crews in NKY always mark the line of scrimmage on the closest hashmark.  Obviously, this makes it easier to determine first downs and the yard line for the scoreboard (and stats) without the need for measurements.  I noticed during the playoffs that crews from other parts of the state were more apt to mark the ball between hashmarks as appropriate.  This does make it very interesting when determining the actual yard line.  For example, Team A is on Team B's 36 yard line (with the ball actually resting between the 36 and 37) and then turns it over on downs.  Now that Team B has the ball going the other way, technically the starting yard line is now their own 37, not the 36, even though the ball doesn't physically move, because you always look ahead to the next yard line (with the exception being the 1 yard line, of course).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nkypete said:

This is somewhat related.  I have noticed that most crews in NKY always mark the line of scrimmage on the closest hashmark.  Obviously, this makes it easier to determine first downs and the yard line for the scoreboard (and stats) without the need for measurements.  I noticed during the playoffs that crews from other parts of the state were more apt to mark the ball between hashmarks as appropriate.  This does make it very interesting when determining the actual yard line.  For example, Team A is on Team B's 36 yard line (with the ball actually resting between the 36 and 37) and then turns it over on downs.  Now that Team B has the ball going the other way, technically the starting yard line is now their own 37, not the 36, even though the ball doesn't physically move, because you always look ahead to the next yard line (with the exception being the 1 yard line, of course).

I've definitely seen spots moved to "the big line" if it were close to a 5 yard mark. 

On 11/15/2021 at 9:53 AM, Tones said:

I personally have never understood chain measurements. I get that it may be the best option that we have, but the placement of the ball is completely subjective to where the official believes that the ball should be placed, not exact. If you are the official making the call, stand on the first down line and just make the call if its a first down or not.

I'd say most of the time, outside of "critical" situations, this is exactly what happens. I know when I'd be working the line judge spot, if it were close I'd look at the white hat and signal that it was a first. 

27 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

I've definitely seen spots moved to "the big line" if it were close to a 5 yard mark. 

Hopefully, you are describing a situation where the move of the ball is less than one yard.  If more than one yard, that is atrocious officiating.