Annual Football Playoff Discussion

I think the cross districting format is much better. I also like the idea of traditional struggling programs to go independent and schedule any 10 competitive games they want including teams who are not independent.  But if you are independent you do not qualify for playoffs. That probably complicates a lot though. No easy answer to any of it. There are not enough private schools to isolate them, and a lot of teams who will always struggle. It is a rare thing in this state for a non traditional power to make a run and win a ring.

• Like 2

There’s no easy answer back in the early 80’s when I was in school it was district champions only with 11 game regular season which for Ashland was 9 pay games as Boyd and Greenup Counties were the only other teams in our district. My brother when they won state in 90 was district champ and runner-up and now we get top 4 and 10 game regular season. I still believe the regular season should be the burden of proof for making the playoffs and to that end giving the district champions a bye while 2vs3 cross district games take place and allowing those 4th place teams to pickup an optional 11th game if they so chose. I still don’t like 6 classes in KY but knowing we’ll never see 4 again even dropping to 5 would take an act of God. 

• Like 3

If we keep doing what we are doing... at least cross district.... which starts for 2022.

If not... Daniel Hopkins plan is great.  

Or..... a great alternative idea is that the 1 & 2 seeds go into the bracket to play for a state title. Let the 3 seeds go into a bracket for a postseason bowl game.... not a state championship. 

You could start the season a week later and get out of the heat by a week.  Some 3 seeds have little to no chance at even getting to the final game. This would give them something to play for. A community and school get a taste of late November football, could get them motivated for more and invest more in their programs, elevating KY HS football in places that have not had alot of success. More kids having a Thanksgiving practice. Those bowl games would be played locally at one of the schools.... the higher RPI. Please understand.... this is NOT 12 state champs! 6 state champs (coming from the 1 & 2 seed bracket, same number we have currently) , but 12 additional teams playing  on Thanksgiving Friday night. 

Some of the 4 vs. 1 games this past weekend were not good for anyone. I've had teams go 1-9 and 2-8. Brutal. Another game against someone much better than us would not have been a good experience for our guys, more than likely. Some times taking up the gear and focusing on the next season is a welcome change in early November.  The kids are relieved it is over and there is optimism for the future. 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, ChiefSmoke said:

If we keep doing what we are doing... at least cross district.... which starts for 2022.

Or..... a great alternative idea is that the 1 & 2 seeds go into the bracket to play for a state title. Let the 3 seeds go into a bracket for a postseason bowl game.... not a state championship. 

You could start the season a week later and get out of the heat by a week.  Some 3 seeds have little to no chance at even getting to the final game. This would give them something to play for. A community and school get a taste of late November football, could get them motivated for more and invest more in their programs, elevating KY HS football in places that have not had alot of success. More kids having a Thanksgiving practice. Those bowl games would be played locally at one of the schools.... the higher RPI. Please understand.... this is NOT 12 state champs! 6 state champs, but 12 additional teams playing  on Thanksgiving Friday night. 

Some of the 4 vs. 1 games this past weekend were not good for anyone. I've had teams go 1-9 and 2-8. Brutal. Another game against someone much better than us would not have been a good experience for our guys, more than likely. Some times taking up the gear and focusing on the next season is a welcome change in early November.  The kids are relieved it is over and there is optimism for the future. 

I like your idea. 3/4 seeds would be like going to the NIT instead of the big dance.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ChiefSmoke said:

You could start the season a week later and get out of the heat by a week.  Some 3 seeds have little to no chance at even getting to the final game. This would give them something to play for. A community and school get a taste of late November football, could get them motivated for more and invest more in their programs, elevating KY HS football in places that have not had alot of success. More kids having a Thanksgiving practice. Those bowl games would be played locally at one of the schools.... the higher RPI. Please understand.... this is NOT 12 state champs! 6 state champs (coming from the 1 & 2 seed bracket, same number we have currently) , but 12 additional teams playing  on Thanksgiving Friday night. 

What are your feelings on the six class system versus the four class system Chief? I know you played during the four class system and have coached in both. We only have around 200 programs, correct? I know there are pros and cons to each.

1 hour ago, Tigerpride94 said:

I like your idea. 3/4 seeds would be like going to the NIT instead of the big dance.

If we include 4th seeds, the bowls have to be two per class, East & West so they are completed the weekend after Thanksgiving. No games could be played while the state championship games are being played. But, that might be even better. Late November football is the best of all. Less successful programs get a taste of it, could really pull more resources to KY HS football programs that need it the most. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, 9068 said:

What are your feelings on the six class system versus the four class system Chief? I know you played during the four class system and have coached in both. We only have around 200 programs, correct? I know there are pros and cons to each.

I like 6 classes because football is such a numbers driven game. But, one seeds vs. four seeds is awful in 6 classes, most of the time. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ChiefSmoke said:

I like the idea, but are you saying these bowl games would happen 4 weeks after the conclusion of the regular season at thanksgiving. That’s a long time! I love the old school tradition of thanksgiving games though

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bud_Kilmer said:

I like the idea, but are you saying these bowl games would happen 4 weeks after the conclusion of the regular season at thanksgiving. That’s a long time! I love the old school tradition of thanksgiving games though

It would only be 3 weeks. The regular season would end on the first Friday in November. Or, do the East-West Bowl idea, and let it be exclusively just the 3 or 4 seed and get done the Friday before Thanksgiving.

2nd week of November:

District 1 vs. District 2; District 3 vs. District 4. (round 1... all #3 seeds)

District 5 vs. District 6; District 7 vs. District 8. (round 1... all #3 seeds)

3rd week of November:

3A West Bowl for 3 seed

3A East Bowl for 3 seed

Give the bowls a good name, maybe let a sponsor write a check, feed the kids, get them shirts, etc. 

Again, it would NEVER appear like a state championship. But, the old guys around here, still talk about the old CKC Bowl. 

1 hour ago, TheDeuce said:

I don’t really care how many classes there are any more, but you don’t deserve to get in the playoffs if you don’t win AT LEAST half your games.

No team with 0-3 wins should get in the playoffs ever. Period. 

This 👍

7 hours ago, DevilMayCare said:

Found it. No format is perfect, but I'd like to see what this would actually look like in Kentucky. 

Thanks for finding that thread. I liked this proposal back then and I still like it now. My issue with taking only the top 2 teams in a district is you eliminate some teams that should get a chance to win a state title. The plan above is a way to eliminate the really bad teams but keeping in the playoffs those teams that have a chance to be competitive. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tigerpride94 said:

I'd like to see top 2 in each district get in playoffs, but allow teams that don't get in an extra game so they could schedule another team that didn't get in which would be more competitive for them.

I love this idea on paper, but I think the biggest issue is articulating the need to spend money on transportation, and the liability of risk involved to the student for possible injuries. Love this idea, not sure how any of the public schools can make it happen.

• Like 1