Pitino takes Iona to NCAA Tourney in first season

16thBBall Fan

One day shy of the 1 year anniversary of Iona hiring Rick Pitino as its head coach the Gales are headed to the NCAA tournament after winning the MAAC title game this afternoon. It is Iona's fifth appearance in the last 6 years.

Pitino is one of only three coaches in NCAA history to take 5 different programs to the tourney. The other two are Lon Kruger and Tubby Smith. The 5 teams taken by Pitino are Boston Univ., Providence, Kentucky, Louisville, and Iona.

• Like 1

Not surprised at all. A P5 program or better program will come calling willing to give him one more shot soon enough. I’m not a UC fan but I think if their new coach doesn’t work out by next year, and Pitino is still at Iona. I think UC would be a great place for him and UC. 

34 minutes ago, nikeman49 said:

Congrats to Ricky P, sure do wish he could have been on the UK bench these last few years, few more NCAA Championship banners would be hanging in Rupp rafters.

But would the banners have to come down?

13 hours ago, nikeman49 said:

Congrats to Ricky P, sure do wish he could have been on the UK bench these last few years, few more NCAA Championship banners would be hanging in Rupp rafters.

Sixteen years at Louisville. One title.

Eight years at UK. One title.

Winning titles is very, very difficult. Coach K has 2 titles in the last 20 years. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, nikeman49 said:

I think 100% chance that more banners would be in Rupp, just my opinion.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, and maybe he would have. Even though I believe it would be doubtful, and data doesn’t support that he would have either. The man had 16 years at Louisville and build it his way. Which as great of a coach as he is. You would have thought being at Louisville for 16 years, he would have also been able to manage more than just one title then while there. 

Regardless of all people think of Rick - both the good and the bad - most agree, the man can coach.   Congrats to Rick and Iona.   Great achievement - especially if you are familiar with Iona's difficulties that they had to surmount this year.

• Like 3