All things considered is Highlands a good job?

theguru

This post was in the Open Job: Highlands thread and it is something I have been thinking about too. The Highlands program is down, the talent is not what it was (my opinion), and the expectations and scrutiny are beyond crazy.  Here is the post from the Open Job thread:

I would like to throw this out as an outsider. 

Highlands (or their fans) need to wake up and smell some reality. 

Chuck Smith? Tom Bolden? EDDIE EVISTON? Seriously -- why not Nick Saban? Why Not John Madden? 

The most desired head coaches currently see Highlands as a place to have to deal with unrealistic expectations from an extremely unrealistic fanbase. I don't know if the last staff was the problem. But I would have to be in a miserable job to want to insert myself into this situation. From the outside looking in - the unrealistic expectations, unrealistic coaching targets really make me wonder if this is a tenable situation. 

Highlands needs to come to grips with the fact that Tommy B, Chuck S, Bob S, Noel R are not walking through the door. The real question is -- can the fanbase deal with that? 

My advice -- sell the farm to get Wolfe. He is a great option and he understands the environment. If that doesn't work out change directions ASAP or you will lose out. - gbballfan21

==================

So I will ask again, all things considered is Highlands a good job?

• Like 1

I think Highlands is a Great Opportunity!  But I also think it will be very difficult initially getting the program back up to speed.  You are going to get one shot at getting the players and fans to "buy in".  What if that doesn't happen?  Alot may also depend on what happens with the proposed/projected realignment (going to 4A or not).  I think that would help Highlands alot.  Get on a level they are supposed to be playing on and build from there.

Highlands is the equivalent of Trinity circa '99.

They were once atop of the Ky. HS football mountain, but fell off. In came Bob Beatty.

Highlands has a once in a lifetime shot to get the program back to the Mecca. They will not find that, outside of Chris Wolfe, in the state. They have a nationally recognized program. Time to search the nation for their next coach.

Of course, that's JMHO.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, John Anthony said:

Tradition, facilities, top notch school district.  Yes.

My thoughts are the same. The job is the definition of demanding, yes, but it's backed by a school district that has one of the highest budgets in the state, facilities out the wazoo, and a football program that's been winning games and state championships since before any of the players' grandparents were even born.

I know there's no telling, but I'd have to guess the salary for the job is among the highest of any public school head coaching jobs in the state as well.

• Like 3

Plus you have talent and sizing coming in the next 4 classes.  The Bluebirds started 4 or 5 sophomores on offense last game Cov Cath.  An absolute beast of offensive tackle returning that will be a senior.   Defense has some holes to fill but you got some animals on defense coming back at linebacker and safety. Freshman close was loaded with over 50 kids. 8th grade has about 40 plus players and some monster size. 7th grade had over 55 kids playing and they have some major size as well. Can’t tell me you can’t find 10-15 really good  football players out of almost 60 kids. 

Is the Highlands job for everyone? No! But it is a great job for a confident coach who wants to be the Man.  

I'll just say that if the criteria is whether or not its a "good" job, then the answer is unequivocally yes based on many of the things already highlighted above.  The district, the resources, the facilities, the junior football league, etc.   I think where Highlands people can sometimes push the argument beyond reason is the question of whether or not it's the greatest job.   

I also think that the level of frustration went well beyond not winning state or beating CovCath for years (neither of those help).   I just think the right guy, the guy who wants to be the face of this program and LEAD his staff, develop his players and be able to manage all the rest of it will find that it's, at the very least, a really good opportunity.   

3 hours ago, Bluebird99 said:

Drop to 4A where Weinrich proposed to be because he understands football!  Now for the new coach, it makes sense to do?

Scale back the schedule for the new coach—that’s laughable & insulting to THE Highlands program!  

Did not say it made sense, but believe it will happen.  Yes the schedule will be scaled back.  Isn’t that what Weinrich and staff wanted to do?  Seems you were on board with that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bluebird99 said:

Drop to 4A where Weinrich proposed to be because he understands football!  Now for the new coach, it makes sense to do?

Scale back the schedule for the new coach—that’s laughable & insulting to THE Highlands program!  

Huh?

• Like 1

Highlands job is not for a coach with rabbit ears or the sensitive soft side that gets his feelings hurt by words or criticism. If a coach is worried about his job then he is already defeated at a program like Highlands.

It’s hardcore expectations that demand an ego out of this world or an overqualified coach to be successful including really good position coaches. Incredible expectations and pressures to succeed, win and win big. 

Guys like Homer Rice, Mike Murphy, Roger Walz, Bill Herrman,, Tom Duffy, Dale Mueller all won and won big in their own way. Some took longer then others but they all improved. 

Anyone know what everyone of those great coaches had? Great defenses and the ability to delegate responsibilities to other coaches and also know the strengths and weaknesses of your program as a whole. Not a single one of those coaches succeeded by themselves, not a one. 

None of them made excuses, they found ways to Win because that’s what the job demanded regardless of the circumstances. If they didn’t win they fixed it. None lost very often if ever at all. 

Who is applying?

• Like 1