Owensboro 81 Breckinridge County 6

DevilMayCare

Our football postseason is too tethered to districts. I proposed a plan a few years ago that would eliminate these same playoff meetings between the same teams over and over again. The proposal was fairly well received and thanks to @ChiefSmoke it even made it to the KHSAA desk, although they didn't seem as interested. My worry is that continuing to hold a postseason where weaker district teams are guaranteed to play and subsequently get hammered by teams like Owensboro in the first round that it will slow the potential growth of the sport at schools like Breckinridge County. There are better ways to do things but we have to be willing to think bigger.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, gchs_uk9 said:

Our football postseason is too tethered to districts. I proposed a plan a few years ago that would eliminate these same playoff meetings between the same teams over and over again. The proposal was fairly well received and thanks to @ChiefSmoke it even made it to the KHSAA desk, although they didn't seem as interested. My worry is that continuing to hold a postseason where weaker district teams are guaranteed to play and subsequently get hammered by teams like Owensboro in the first round that it will slow the potential growth of the sport at schools like Breckinridge County. There are better ways to do things but we have to be willing to think bigger.

One of my favorite threads ever on BGP. It was a phenomenal idea and well fleshed out. I liked it so much, I bookmarked it. Unfortunately, the link was broken when we made the software upgrade, rendering the bookmark useless.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, snakesnot_2000 said:

In some ways I see nothing wrong with this. Running up the score on purpose is one thing. You don't wanna run up the score......unless it's your arch rival.

Yes, you say that from a Mayfield perspective that wins way over 90% of its games.  If you come at it from a Ballard Memorial perspective it's a lot different.

If you can punk your rival, I think that's fine too, but I'm talking about "defenseless" teams here.  The ones I mentioned above will never beat the Mayfield/Owensboro's of KY.

I got to call this one on the radio and I never felt it was a situation of Owensboro running up the score.  Breck fumbling multiple kickoffs, not to mention 3 defensive scores(one with the starters out) led to the final score.  Owensboro was scoring in one play even with their 2nd and 3rd string in the game.  Tyler Reynolds, who scored the last TD, had only 5 carries all season.  Outside of taking knees, I'm not sure what else Fallin could have done here.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Purple88 said:

I would like to see KHSAA create an "Open Class" where teams that are clearly overmatched in their district be able to be placed on an Open Class where their teams could actually compete with teams somewhat similar to them.  Breckinridge County, Caverna, South Laurel, Seneca, Iroquois, Lewis County, Nelson County, Ballard Memorial, Fulton County, Bellvue, Berea, among others.

I am thinking of the Major European Soccer league that lets the bottom team in the league drop out and the top team in the lower league come up for a set amount of time.  Call it 4 years for a set # of teams.  Teams that continually lose in my so called Open Classification

would stay and the top 1 or 2 teams would return to the big leagues and 1 or 2 that also get hammered can drop down.  You would be invited to do this.  And you could opt out at the beginning.  I would envision a State Championship for this level as well.  

I realize scheduling would be tough for all but it is now.  Maybe they play less games to be in this open class.  This would have to be known way in advance say 2 years or similar to how KHSAA realigns the 6 classes now. 

Just a thought, but this is stupid having a team like Breckinridge County play Owensboro in the playoffs.  Will this outcome change?  I'd say in the next 10 years if nothing changes, Owensboro would host Breckinridge County another 8 or 9 times and wins by at least 50 every time.  Can't we do something different.  If you do this open class, can you get rid of the first round games?  Win, win IMO.  Only Warren East proves this wrong this year and is definitely the exception and not the rule.  What do you think?  Sorry to thread jack, but only so much to do with an 81-6 game.  Maybe I'll bring this up a little after the state championships are done.

Good point - I didn’t want this to get lost on bottom of page 2.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Purple88 said:

Yes, you say that from a Mayfield perspective that wins way over 90% of its games.  If you come at it from a Ballard Memorial perspective it's a lot different.

If you can punk your rival, I think that's fine too, but I'm talking about "defenseless" teams here.  The ones I mentioned above will never beat the Mayfield/Owensboro's of KY.

Not really from a Mayfield perspective because they never run the score up on the very weak teams. Say its 50-0 at the half most games end up about 57-6 or so. I like seeing the younger ones get their chances, so if your 1st team can't stop the others teams 3rd team sometimes the chips have to fall and it can get ugly. As far as Owensboro running up the score on this team, to me it all depends on how it was done in my opinion if it constitutes running up the score or this team is plain pitiful.

1 hour ago, snakesnot_2000 said:

Not really from a Mayfield perspective because they never run the score up on the very weak teams. Say its 50-0 at the half most games end up about 57-6 or so. I like seeing the younger ones get their chances, so if your 1st team can't stop the others teams 3rd team sometimes the chips have to fall and it can get ugly. As far as Owensboro running up the score on this team, to me it all depends on how it was done in my opinion if it constitutes running up the score or this team is plain pitiful.

I agree Glasgow has been in the district with some really poor teams and I’ve seen several teams that the Scotties was up 50 at halftime and those games most of the time finish 56-0 or something similar I guess it’s feasible this game was such a mismatch that they couldn’t run a play without scoring but that’s why as I mentioned earlier shorten the quarters in the second half I’ve seen the Scotties do this on numerous occasions.

1 hour ago, snakesnot_2000 said:

Snake,

I didn't mean to insinuate Mayfield or Owensboro for that matter runs up the score.  I was insinuating that I feel Mayfield and Owensboro are in the "HAVE" category and teams like Breckinridge County IMO are in the "HAVE NOT" category. I too like to get the younger kids out on the field as I think that what separates the better teams, but looking at the whole picture, Breckingridge County, for example is never going to be able to grow or build anything getting hammered every single year by the HAVE programs. 

30 minutes ago, Purple88 said:

Snake,

I didn't mean to insinuate Mayfield or Owensboro for that matter runs up the score.  I was insinuating that I feel Mayfield and Owensboro are in the "HAVE" category and teams like Breckinridge County IMO are in the "HAVE NOT" category. I too like to get the younger kids out on the field as I think that what separates the better teams, but looking at the whole picture, Breckingridge County, for example is never going to be able to grow or build anything getting hammered every single year by the HAVE programs. 

I agree.

Some of these teams are never going to be "Haves", it's not in their DNA

Some are one team wonders that get a good group to go through every once in a while.

11 hours ago, Purple88 said:

I would like to see KHSAA create an "Open Class" where teams that are clearly overmatched in their district be able to be placed on an Open Class where their teams could actually compete with teams somewhat similar to them.  Breckinridge County, Caverna, South Laurel, Seneca, Iroquois, Lewis County, Nelson County, Ballard Memorial, Fulton County, Bellvue, Berea, among others.

I am thinking of the Major European Soccer league that lets the bottom team in the league drop out and the top team in the lower league come up for a set amount of time.  Call it 4 years for a set # of teams.  Teams that continually lose in my so called Open Classification

would stay and the top 1 or 2 teams would return to the big leagues and 1 or 2 that also get hammered can drop down.  You would be invited to do this.  And you could opt out at the beginning.  I would envision a State Championship for this level as well.  

I realize scheduling would be tough for all but it is now.  Maybe they play less games to be in this open class.  This would have to be known way in advance say 2 years or similar to how KHSAA realigns the 6 classes now. 

Just a thought, but this is stupid having a team like Breckinridge County play Owensboro in the playoffs.  Will this outcome change?  I'd say in the next 10 years if nothing changes, Owensboro would host Breckinridge County another 8 or 9 times and wins by at least 50 every time.  Can't we do something different.  If you do this open class, can you get rid of the first round games?  Win, win IMO.  Only Warren East proves this wrong this year and is definitely the exception and not the rule.  What do you think?  Sorry to thread jack, but only so much to do with an 81-6 game.  Maybe I'll bring this up a little after the state championships are done.

It's no different than in basketball with the first round of the district tournament, there are often blowouts. This is literally the same thing. The first round of the football playoffs are the first round of district basketball tournaments in Kentucky. 

Like someone said above, if they did away with the district lock down and let maybe the top 2 in each district in and used the RPI to let the next top 16 teams like a "wild card" instead of the top 4 in each district, I think that'd help make some of those games with the 1 seed more competive. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Purple88 said:

Not a terrible idea. Sad thing is Breck beat 2 other teams in district to earn the 4 seed. This is a 6 team district that is not very good. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1