Playoffs with Red Counties going to be interesting next weekend!

Rebel

4 minutes ago, Rebel said:

My guess is over half the games this weekend have been canceled.  Is that because everyone is getting ready for the playoffs or too afraid of catching the virus?  After this week it is advance or your season is over.

Definitely the former.  The later that the game is canceled, the harder it is to find a new opponent in a "non-red" county, close enough, and reasonably near your class level.  Arrangements would need to be made, do the Hudl exchange, and prepare the team.  Not worth it for the last week of the regular season.

31 minutes ago, Rebel said:

My guess is over half the games this weekend have been canceled.  Is that because everyone is getting ready for the playoffs or too afraid of catching the virus?  After this week it is advance or your season is over.

I am hearing that a lot of teams don't want to risk an exposure. Some teams still might be fighting for a better RPI and take a game but a lot of top teams seem to be opting out of playing this week. If you play this week and the school you play has a COVID case on the team you risk losing at least part of your team, if not all of it, and can't field a team for the 1st round of the playoffs. Meaning your out. A lot of coaches don't want to take that risk.

21 minutes ago, Cobraxx said:

I am hearing that a lot of teams don't want to risk an exposure. Some teams still might be fighting for a better RPI and take a game but a lot of top teams seem to be opting out of playing this week. If you play this week and the school you play has a COVID case on the team you risk losing at least part of your team, if not all of it, and can't field a team for the 1st round of the playoffs. Meaning your out. A lot of coaches don't want to take that risk.

That's understandable and I can see that but it could also happen in round 1 of the playoffs.  Let's say 2A LCA could easily beat Washington County. If the head coach thinks he can beat them with his JV's does he not play his regular starters to protect them for Somerset just in case a Commander player has COVID and they don't have to worry about a quarantine the following week?  Washington County has been in the RED for a long period of time and not a far reach that one of their players could have the virus.     

5 hours ago, Pick-six said:

In volleyball/soccer district and regional tournaments, you could not exclude a team just because they were red.  If they are red and want to play you have to let them play.  The tricky part could be if the host team is red.  If that happens then the lower seed can request a change of venue to a neutral site or to their place.

That’s the most logical decision now if they actually have players with COVID then they should just forfeit the playoffs can’t wait two weeks for a team to be good but you can’t convince me they shouldn’t be allowed to play just because they’re in a red county.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rebel said:

That's understandable and I can see that but it could also happen in round 1 of the playoffs.  Let's say 2A LCA could easily beat Washington County. If the head coach thinks he can beat them with his JV's does he not play his regular starters to protect them for Somerset just in case a Commander player has COVID and they don't have to worry about a quarantine the following week?  Washington County has been in the RED for a long period of time and not a far reach that one of their players could have the virus.     

You make a really good point. I think that is a concern for a lot of teams. I also will be curious to see which teams that have not played in a while, and know they will get beat, will actually play. It now takes multiple buses to travel, per the COVID guidelines. For instance, in Fayette County, I was told by a reliable source, that it costs $800 per bus. Yes, for a yellow bus. For a team of 60 players you are talking 4+ buses. Do teams pay thousands of dollars out of their budgets, if they don't think the can compete?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, TheDeuce said:

Or just not even worry about 3 and 4 seeds... 

I've always thought the higher seeds should get byes and the lower seeds should play each other in the early rounds.  It would allow a team who would have gotten crushed to win a playoff game.

It would prevent a higher seeds team from risking injuries in a game that would be a blow out. And under normal circumstances would probably generate more revenue cause the game is more competitive. 

• Like 2