Cooper 48 Highlands 21

theguru

This is too funny. HHS has a coach currently but yet the dialogue shifts to talking down about the coach that laid the beat down on HHS and was supposed to get “boat raced” by 3 or more TDs?  It would appear to me that one would at least wait until there is a vacancy before putting candidates up for consideration but certainly Borchers might be a worthy candidate IMO vs what is taking place right now if that is what he has interest in. The Jags were obviously outmanned Friday night but certainly weren’t outcoached. 
My suggestion to the Bird faithful would be to let it play out but like I’ve said previously, teams don’t “fear” the HHS mystic any longer and there is more parity in NKY, outside of CCH, right now. 

39 minutes ago, Mr. Sixer said:

This is too funny. HHS has a coach currently but yet the dialogue shifts to talking down about the coach that laid the beat down on HHS and was supposed to get “boat raced” by 3 or more TDs?  It would appear to me that one would at least wait until there is a vacancy before putting candidates up for consideration but certainly Borchers might be a worthy candidate IMO vs what is taking place right now if that is what he has interest in. The Jags were obviously outmanned Friday night but certainly weren’t outcoached. 
My suggestion to the Bird faithful would be to let it play out but like I’ve said previously, teams don’t “fear” the HHS mystic any longer and there is more parity in NKY, outside of CCH, right now. 

I wanna start off by saying that I love a good Jim Rome reference when it can be worked in, so your post automatically gets racked for that one. However..

I hope this doesn't come off as ragging on you because I'm not intending it that way. I wasn't trying to talk down about Coach Borchers necessarily so much as call a spade a spade. I didn't say anything that wasn't true about the guy. Cooper obviously doesn't have the momentum that they did when the program was new. Cooper hasn't had a winning season since 2016 and unless they can pull off upsets against Ryle and Dixie, it's looking like 2020 will be a 50/50 season at best. Like it or not, if someone isn't right for the job then someone just isn't right for the job. Doesn't make them a bad person. At Ford, quality is job one and at Highlands, beating CCH is job one. Coach Borchers' resume states to the contrary.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Oracle said:

I wanna start off by saying that I love a good Jim Rome reference when it can be worked in, so your post automatically gets racked for that one. However..

I hope this doesn't come off as ragging on you because I'm not intending it that way. I wasn't trying to talk down about Coach Borchers necessarily so much as call a spade a spade. I didn't say anything that wasn't true about the guy. Cooper obviously doesn't have the momentum that they did when the program was new. Cooper hasn't had a winning season since 2016 and unless they can pull off upsets against Ryle and Dixie, it's looking like 2020 will be a 50/50 season at best. Like it or not, if someone isn't right for the job then someone just isn't right for the job. Doesn't make them a bad person. At Ford, quality is job one and at Highlands, beating CCH is job one. Coach Borchers' resume states to the contrary.

As you continue to prove my point.  The current HHS coach is still there so really not even sure why someone would bring Coach B. into the discussion and yep, Cooper has been outmanned for the last several years but they seem to be moving in the right direction, as evident Friday, and beating Ryle and/or Dixie are very possible and I'll venture to say they will finish .500 at worst especially if they end up the 2 seed in the district.  Frankly, with what Cooper has in the pipeline the Jags should be in very good shape and getting the long overdue turf will be a plus for the Cooper coach especially if their freshman team sticks together. 

If your litmus test for the next coach, if that does come to pass, is beating CCH, that list is going to be very short and if that is true, you have a coach that has done that before why do so many want him gone?  As for your "Job One" comment.....well, it's been a minute since that box was checked :classic_wink:

5 hours ago, Mr. Sixer said:

As you continue to prove my point.  The current HHS coach is still there so really not even sure why someone would bring Coach B. into the discussion and yep, Cooper has been outmanned for the last several years but they seem to be moving in the right direction, as evident Friday, and beating Ryle and/or Dixie are very possible and I'll venture to say they will finish .500 at worst especially if they end up the 2 seed in the district.  Frankly, with what Cooper has in the pipeline the Jags should be in very good shape and getting the long overdue turf will be a plus for the Cooper coach especially if their freshman team sticks together. 

If your litmus test for the next coach, if that does come to pass, is beating CCH, that list is going to be very short and if that is true, you have a coach that has done that before why do so many want him gone?  As for your "Job One" comment.....well, it's been a minute since that box was checked :classic_wink:

11 hours ago, colonel-fan said:

Why would you not like Borchers as coach at Highlands?

10 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

Losing record as of now this year.

2019 ...... 5-6

2018 ...... 5-7

2017 ...... 2-9

2016 ...... 7-5

He had really good momentum in the program in the years leading up to 2016 and look at the record over the last 5 years.  No matter how Cooper finishes this year he will have a losing record over the past 5 years. I don't think that is the resume Highlands fans are looking for.

10 hours ago, The Oracle said:

Definitely what my thoughts were when I read Borchers name mentioned. He had early momentum, but that's definitely sputtered, and he's had lots of parents pushing back about the way he runs his program at Cooper. Several families managed to depart Cooper to get their kids into the program at Boone County because they thought higher of Bryson Warner. Another family or two came to CCH. Hell, Jeremiah Lee was doing his winter workouts and conditioning completely separate from the rest of the team the last couple of years.

That doesn't sound like the man they need to give Highlands a shot in the arm and inspire the boys in the Highlands locker room to their greatest potential.

10 hours ago, The Oracle said:

Let's also not forget, Coach Borchers' coaching record against CCH. He's 0-5 and his teams have been outscored 222-19. I just don't see that being enough to cut the mustard for the Bluebirds.

8 hours ago, Mr. Sixer said:

7 hours ago, The Oracle said:

Well first of all, it would suck for Cooper if Borchers were to ever leave. He is a great coach. With that said, if he were to be at Highlands, he would do a great job. Hopefully for Coopers sake that doesn’t happen though. 

Just looking at the prediction thread, I would say most would have said Highlands had a lot more overall talent than Cooper. Yet Cooper beat them by 28. Highlands was also suppose to be loaded last year according to some.  Yet Cooper was one yard short from beating them last year.

As for the record the last four seasons or so. I know some people on here like to use freshman success, to determine how much talent may be in a program. So for reference looking back at old freshman records for Cooper. The 2017 senior class won 2 games as freshman, the 2018 class won 2 games, 2019 class won 4 games, and the current senior class didn’t win a game as freshman. Which I know @theoracle you mentioned record against Covcath. The only years they played Covcath in varsity, just so happened to be during this same period. Which honestly everyone has been winless in NKY against Covcath the last few seasons, which was also the only time Cooper has played Covcath. 

Which more talent seems to be on its way up at Cooper. The current Junior group won 5 games, which 3 of its best players were 8th graders on that team, the current sophomore group won 6 games, and current freshman group in an 8 game season may only lose one or two games at most depending how the last few weeks play out. 

So I think some may have a different opinion here in a few years. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, futurecoach said:

Well first of all, it would suck for Cooper if Borchers were to ever leave. He is a great coach. With that said, if he were to be at Highlands, he would do a great job. Hopefully for Coopers sake that doesn’t happen though. 

Just looking at the prediction thread, I would say most would have said Highlands had a lot more overall talent than Cooper. Yet Cooper beat them by 28. Highlands was also suppose to be loaded last year according to some.  Yet Cooper was one yard short from beating them last year.

As for the record the last four seasons or so. I know some people on here like to use freshman success, to determine how much talent may be in a program. So for reference looking back at old freshman records for Cooper. The 2017 senior class won 2 games as freshman, the 2018 class won 2 games, 2019 class won 4 games, and the current senior class didn’t win a game as freshman. Which I know @theoracle you mentioned record against Covcath. The only years they played Covcath in varsity, just so happened to be during this same period. Which honestly everyone has been winless in NKY against Covcath the last few seasons, which was also the only time Cooper has played Covcath. 

Which more talent seems to be on its way up at Cooper. The current Junior group won 5 games, which 3 of its best players were 8th graders on that team, the current sophomore group won 6 games, and current freshman group in an 8 game season may only lose one or two games at most depending how the last few weeks play out. 

So I think some may have a different opinion here in a few years. 

Excellent breakdown. 

On 10/27/2020 at 12:59 PM, Mr. Sixer said:

Borchers will NOT be in the discussion at Highlands, hell we will keep BW if we want 500 or below seasons. 

Everyone please stop

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Sweeperboy said:

Borchers will NOT be in the discussion at Highlands, hell we will keep BW if we want 500 or below seasons. 

Everyone please stop

FINALLY!  How/why his name got dropped in from this perspective was a head scratcher to begin with. 

19 minutes ago, Mr. Sixer said:

FINALLY!  How/why his name got dropped in from this perspective was a head scratcher to begin with. 

Here is how Coach Borchers' name was dropped in the first place.

As for why, you would have to ask @Rocket Man for a definite answer, but I would guess that is rooted in the second post in this thread which implicates that the Highlands loss to Cooper is the proverbial nail in the coffin for Coach Weinrich's career as the Highlands head football coach. The sixth post in the thread seems to support that hypothesis.

On 10/27/2020 at 4:10 PM, Mr. Sixer said:

If your litmus test for the next coach, if that does come to pass, is beating CCH, that list is going to be very short and if that is true, you have a coach that has done that before why do so many want him gone?

Presupposing Coach Weinrich is done at the end of the season, I have to think that the litmus test very literally will be beating CCH, or more specifically, someone who either has coaching wins over CCH or who has a track record of sustained success on a high level that would translate easily to Highlands' success in the district. I don't know that anyone in NKY fits that bill right now, save for Noel Rash. There are a handful of coaches and more than likely some assistant coaches in the GCL who would fit the bill too, although I don't know that Highlands would be interested at looking to give an assistant coach their first shot at head coaching.

Weinrich is 2-6 against CCH with his two wins coming in Eviston's first season at CCH while he still had remnant players from the Dale Mueller system, so that should answer your question. Borchers is 0-5 with his teams outscored 222-19 against CCH and his JV team lost 54-0 to CCH this year. That doesn't pass the litmus test. I think that should basically cover the discussion as @Sweeperboy seems to have implied.

Just now, Jack of all Trades said:

Is it for certain that Highlands will continue to play CovCath?  I believe that CovCath is solidly in 5A and Highlands is playing up.  I see that changing when the next classification cycle occurs.

That is what I have heard through the grapevine as well. Although if Boyle and Johnson Central remain 4A, that is a tough class as well. It would be interesting to see if a 4A Highlands still scheduled a 5A CovCath.

58 minutes ago, The Oracle said:

Presupposing Coach Weinrich is done at the end of the season, I have to think that the litmus test very literally will be beating CCH, or more specifically, someone who either has coaching wins over CCH or who has a track record of sustained success on a high level that would translate easily to Highlands' success in the district. I don't know that anyone in NKY fits that bill right now, save for Noel Rash. There are a handful of coaches and more than likely some assistant coaches in the GCL who would fit the bill too, although I don't know that Highlands would be interested at looking to give an assistant coach their first shot at head coaching.

Weinrich is 2-6 against CCH with his two wins coming in Eviston's first season at CCH while he still had remnant players from the Dale Mueller system, so that should answer your question. Borchers is 0-5 with his teams outscored 222-19 against CCH and his JV team lost 54-0 to CCH this year. That doesn't pass the litmus test. I think that should basically cover the discussion as @Sweeperboy seems to have implied.

So an assistant coach at a GCL school, who has never been a head coach. Would somehow pass your litmus test of what Highlands needs to beat Covcath?

You also do realize why some of these GCL coaches and even assistant coaches as you say. May have been able to have success against Covcath. Is because they would have had the talent to compete against what Covcath has at those school. 

All these NKY coaches that you dismiss. Would you say any of them really have had even close to the amount of talent Covcath has had recently? So is it really poor coaching from other teams for why teams in NKY are winless against Covcath the last 3 years. Or is it because of Covcath having better superior talent at the majority of the positions of the teams they are playing against? I would say the talent is the biggest thing.

I think some would be surprised at how well ot ar least competitive some other coaches in NKY could do against Covcath if they had the same or even at least close to the same level of talent as Covcath over the last few years.