Boyle County 46 Highlands 7

theguru

29 minutes ago, BirdDaddy said:

I have already heard that a handful kids will be gone next year from 8th+10th if there isn't a change made. That's sad that kids are willing to leave the school they have been dreaming of playing for their entire lives just to play a Sport. Heck CCH gets a new Five each year in Basketball so I guess it's totally not out of the question.  You say noway? Again and I will keep beating this Dead horse. But when Cam Hergott left for Ft Mitchell this should of been a sign and could of been addressed but wasn't. But with Highlands in the middle of a Principal hire and a Vice Principal who's kids all attend Beechwood Schools, it was a Win-Win for the VP to have him come there. If the now Principal was at HHS 3 years ago after the 2017 season of Follies, I would almost guess HHS would be rebuilding with someone new. But to the point of the post above, HHS has had plenty of talent. Maybe not great talent to dominate but enough talent to compete. They're not even doing that now. Time to get better.

I truly believe there is going to be a change in one form or another (stepping down or removed).  But one has to be careful what you wish for in these situations.  The last time the program was in something similar to this the Birds hired Tom Duffy, and we all know how that ended.

They need to find a younger coach with some experience and a little fire in his belly.  Find kids that want to put forth the necessary effort on and off the field and get them to buy in to what is being sold.  Success will follow and as we all know success builds success.

On 9/26/2020 at 6:27 AM, BirdDaddy said:

Someone mentored this very thing a few years back and was told they were looking through Blue colored Goggles. How does the talent just stop? For starters Hergott isn’t playing in Ft Mitchell. He’s told as a Freshman. If you’re the best QB option your Soph year, then you’re the starting QB. Sure he doesn’t win that game last night alone. But Buten plays if Cam’s playing in Ft Thomas and not just living there. I will say it again and after watching 2 games now on TV, HHS isn’t very good and most definitely from my perspective terribly Coached. What is that stunt call for the D lineman when they run that circle rush? The oopty oop? What YouTube video did Coach Weinrich watch to come up with that?  CCH’s film study has to be a party when they watch that. The oopty oop. Come on.

You don’t know football brother,  it’s designed to screw with the offensive lineman. Sure it’s not working amazingly considering the talent is not there, but that stuff has been going on for a while ever since Weinrich has been coaching 3-3 front Back in 09 maybe earlier, and you had never said anything before it because Defense was decent when Weinirch was on that side of the ball. In years passed whatever side of the ball BW was on was always the best. BW is on offensive side this year and Beheymer has taken over defense. Granted neither are very fun to watch because talent is not there, but BW is great X and Os coach. The 2 calls on 4th down were unbelievable though. the morale and overall mojo of Highlands football is down and has been down the past 5 years. This senior class lost a lot of good players because Hergott transferred. Only reason Vinson stopped playing is because he knew nobody would be able to throw him the ball his senior year. Buten didnt want to lay his body on the line for a team that would be sub par at best. Now to the future, this sophomore class combined with this freshman class is going to be insanely good, and I know people have said this in the past. But I’m telling you right now, even if BW does stay. It would be a disgrace if they didn’t win a state championship with current sophomores as Seniors. 

1 hour ago, Ballfan34 said:

But I’m telling you right now, even if BW does stay. It would be a disgrace if they didn’t win a state championship with current sophomores as Seniors

So you expect a Highlands state championship in 2022, regardless of who the coach is?

1 hour ago, TheDeuce said:

So you expect a Highlands state championship in 2022, regardless of who the coach is?

Tom Duffy won state his 2nd year with a team that won 1 game as Freshman. Dale Mueller was in the Finals his 2nd year as well. Remember what you keep saying that  there’s no talent. Even Jack Eicher was 12-0 his 3rd year before being ousted by Duffys Danville team. So yes it’s not out of the question.

8 hours ago, BirdDaddy said:

Tom Duffy won state his 2nd year with a team that won 1 game as Freshman. Dale Mueller was in the Finals his 2nd year as well. Remember what you keep saying that  there’s no talent. Even Jack Eicher was 12-0 his 3rd year before being ousted by Duffys Danville team. So yes it’s not out of the question.

To be clear, I’ve never said there was NO talent, simply that the talent hasn’t been what Highlands is used to, hence not the results Highlands is used to. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheDeuce said:

To be clear, I’ve never said there was NO talent, simply that the talent hasn’t been what Highlands is used to, hence not the results Highlands is used to. 

What is the “level of talent” that Highlands is used to?  Remember that Highlands won state titles before Dale Mueller and after Dale Mueller.  That run of years where they won 7 of 8 is an anomaly just like the recent CovCath run and the run by Boyle County.  Those “are not” what they are used to.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Jack of all Trades said:

What is the “level of talent” that Highlands is used to?  Remember that Highlands won state titles before Dale Mueller and after Dale Mueller.  That run of years where they won 7 of 8 is an anomaly just like the recent CovCath run and the run by Boyle County.  Those “are not” what they are used to.

Sure that's what you're used to, otherwise you wouldn't be trying to fire the coach every week. You're used to state championship caliber talent. Highlands hasn't had that recently. 

15 hours ago, TheDeuce said:

Yes I believe this too Highlands looks really good in these upcoming years they got Noon, Hosea, Kelsay, Robinson, Giesler, Hodge, And Highlands sophomores wide outs are really talented and fast. I watch the Bluebirds every Friday and even their freshman games for the past 7 years. Highlands HAS studs coming in really soon. I do think a new coach would be a lot better tho. 

From an outsider perspective, I actually really liked their schemes last year when they played CCH. Defensively they played a bear or "tite" front, which is difficult to run against, especially on inside and outside zone, and had the Mike flow over top and make a bunch of plays because he was a really good player. They would also run mostly quarters, which is a college coverage, and forces the QB to make a series of accurate short throws to move the ball down the field or 1 on 1 balls over the top. 

Offensively, I thought the actual schemes were fine, but the QB play just wasn’t there. Again, only one sample size against the team that won 5A, but I didn’t think the schemes were that bad. 

I think schemes are only about 30% of how the coach should be focused and judged on with the other 70% being culture and player development/retention, which seems to be the big issue.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, football analysis said:

Yes I believe this too Highlands looks really good in these upcoming years they got Noon, Hosea, Kelsay, Robinson, Giesler, Hodge, And Highlands sophomores wide outs are really talented and fast. I watch the Bluebirds every Friday and even their freshman games for the past 7 years. Highlands HAS studs coming in really soon. I do think a new coach would be a lot better tho. 

The one thing not mentioned in your list of names?  Offensive lineman.  

11 hours ago, Jack of all Trades said:

The one thing not mentioned in your list of names?  Offensive lineman.  

Wilson Bibb (Sophomore), Bowman (Sophomore), Carson Schwalbach (Sophomore), Luke Schneider (Fresh), Ethan Phillips (Fresh) will be offensive line Noon's senior year IMO. Trevaughn Woods (Sophomore) will start on D-Line. There will be some other good lineman in the freshman class, just can't think of too many names right now. These kids need to be going both ways if they want to win a state championship, or put some of the better athletes on D-Line.