District Championship Games

I'm probably alone on this, which won't be the first time, but I think they are as useless as *fill in the blank* __________. They're downright silly, really, both teams still advance, and the whole "it matters if you win so you can avoid other winners in the first round" argument is silly and hollow. There are only 8 teams in a regional, if you're going to win it, you're going to play whomever you're trying to avoid eventually any way. I guess if you're a school who never wins a Regional Tourney, a District Championship (seriously, 3-5 teams is all we're talking about here) is a cool banner to hang. Someone asked me how many times CovCath had won a district title and my reply was this: "I have no idea, and honestly, I'm not sure anyone really cares about 35th District titles."

Am I off-base?

I'm probably alone on this, which won't be the first time, but I think they are as useless as *fill in the blank* __________. They're downright silly, really, both teams still advance, and the whole "it matters if you win so you can avoid other winners in the first round" argument is silly and hollow. There are only 8 teams in a regional, if you're going to win it, you're going to play whomever you're trying to avoid eventually any way. I guess if you're a school who never wins a Regional Tourney, a District Championship (seriously, 3-5 teams is all we're talking about here) is a cool banner to hang. Someone asked me how many times CovCath had won a district title and my reply was this: "I have no idea, and honestly, I'm not sure anyone really cares about 35th District titles."

Am I off-base?

Well, I will join you. I have been in total agreement with your exact statements for years, but have never had many people to agree. Bottom line is you have to win three games.

I don’t like 3 team districts.

Totally agree, there are enough teams in the state to have 64 Districts with at least 4 teams. Getting a bye to Regionals is NUTS. There needs to be a complete reset like in the 05-06 season as far as Redistricting to make sure no more 3 team Districts.

Totally agree, there are enough teams in the state to have 64 Districts with at least 4 teams. Getting a bye to Regionals is NUTS. There needs to be a complete reset like in the 05-06 season as far as Redistricting to make sure no more 3 team Districts.

Especially because in some regions like the 12th you have a 3-team district and then a 6-team district.

One thing about the bye to the regionals - I don't know when this changed, but once upon a time, they did three team districts differently. Two teams would play - the loser of that game would then play the third team. If the loser of game 1 won that second game, then that was it, the Game 1 winner was district champion and Game 2 winner was runner-up. If the loser of game 1 also lost the second game, then the winners of the first two games played in a district final. I don't understand why they went away from that.

I would even go as far to say that there are District Champions, maybe multiple time, that will never win a region.

Even if it's not never, it could be generations. Here in the 4th Region, the 16th District has only had one team win a region title in the last 60 years - that being Metcalfe County winning a single one in 1985. They've only had a team reach the region finals twice in the last 32 years. Without a district championship (and for most of those teams, the All "A"), those teams really don't have a great deal to play for in terms of titles. They simply can't typically compete with the other region schools.

Three schools in the fourth region have won a region title in the lifetime of every student walking the halls. It's not the worst thing to give the other schools a realistic title to pursue.