Boone County schools all getting turf fields

colonel-fan

22 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

What is that material that we see in the picture?

Does the turf get laid directly on top of that?

Cooper needed a new field, I always thought it was the worst of the Boone County fields by far.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

What is that material that we see in the picture?

Does the turf get laid directly on top of that?

The material is most likely decomposed granite, or a material called quarry fines. After compaction, turf can be laid directly on top of it.

Some installations spec an 18 mil "shock pad" as the next step. From previous pics of the Boone Co. projects, I don't think the pad is part of the plan.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Runcible Owl said:

The material is most likely decomposed granite, or a material called quarry fines. After compaction, turf can be laid directly on top of it.

Some installations spec an 18 mil "shock pad" as the next step. From previous pics of the Boone Co. projects, I don't think the pad is part of the plan.

The specs I saw for the Boone County turf requested the shock attenuation pads as an alternate price, but you can see in the picture from the turf installation at Conner that they don't have any shock attenuation.

EzlnU98WYAU5DqW?format=jpg&name=large

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here's a basic cross-section of turf.

1) Excavate the field and prepare the subgrade (dirt). That stage would include excavating trenches for any drainage pipes.

2) Lay filtration fabtic/geotextile fabric over the subgrade and into trenches. This helps hold the subsequent layers above (the gravel) separate from the subgrade, and will assist in preventing the layers above from sinking down into the subgrade should the subgrade get particularly wet.

3) Lay drainage piping in trenches, cover those over with crushed drainage stone, and then cover everything with a layer of crushed drainage stone. The stone is compacted to a predetermined level and graded off. (Some companies use a dozer equipped with a GPS laser-level attached to automatically control the dozer blade and keep things exact to within millimeters.)

4) Once the the stone is prepared, shock attenuation padding can be laid if the job calls for padding.

5) Turf field surface is rolled out.

6) Once all the turf is installed, a crew goes back and cuts-in/inlays the field markings (yard lines, hash marks, numbers, midfield logo, etc).

7) After turf and inlays are installed a dump truck is carefully driven out over the turf and the rubber infill material is "tailgated" over the turf (truck begins slowly lifting the bed and dumping as it continues to drive forward). The infill material is raked out evenly so it settles down within the turf.

Section_Shockwave_Vertical_Drain-small.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

9 hours ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

Section_Shockwave_Vertical_Drain-small.jpg

There's a world of difference between that modern field turf cross section and the original cross section for the installation of AstroTurf...which was downright painful to get knocked down on. Plus, the AstroTurf cross-section below is nowhere near to measured scale, because their turf playing surface wasn't any more than maybe 1/8" thick, and same with the "pad" attached to the underside of the turf...so when you were tackled on AstroTurf, it wasn't really a whole lot different from being tackled directly on top of asphalt.

image.png.8ae0102334b40caefaf54dd5fa146a0b.png

11 minutes ago, theguru said:

You're an encyclopedia CWB! 

Construction is kinda my wheelhouse...plus I've built a couple of turf fields/stadiums in my career.

Haha, fun fact, Rajon Rondo's house in Prospect has the entire backyard done in field turf. No idea how I know that one 🤫

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

Construction is kinda my wheelhouse...plus I've built a couple of turf fields/stadiums in my career.

Haha, fun fact, Rajon Rondo's house in Prospect has the entire backyard done in field turf. No idea how I know that one 🤫

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

That's nothing special. The Brady Bunch had a turf yard fifty years ago. Mike Brady was always ahead of the game!

The Brady Bunch Blog: August 2012 | The brady bunch, Backyard, Brady

• Haha 6