Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Utah 69 Kentucky 66

Featured Replies

Here we go again...

  • Replies 64
  • Views 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A random season here or there? 2011 no true superstars that you say he must have, and beat two top teams to get to the final four. 2014 same thing beat teams with those superstars and more talent, and made the finals. So no he is not superstar dependent to win and do well.

 

Your whole superstar dependent then may hold more weight say if they won it all in 2010, but no the 2011 team made it further than the team with superstars. 2015 had the top overall player and they couldn’t make it as far as the 2014 that didn’t have the type of player you say he must have to win.

 

So yes you have an opinion, but your opinion really gets shot down since it can’t be supported. If he was superstar dependent as you said then no way the 2011 team goes further than 2010 and no way the 2014 team goes further than the 2015 team.

 

Shoot two more teams without the type of superstar you are talking about 2017 and 2019 went as far as the superstar 2010 team and actually put up better games than that 2010 team and both were literary one shot away from winning while 2010 basically got dominated that game.

 

I’d say the 2010 and 2015 arguments work against you more then me. He’s lost with three #1 overall picks and by my key metric, the only one I’m measuring, he cut down his only net, with the best of all the #1 picks he’s ever had. Conversely, in 9 years at Memphis his best season came with some kid named Derrick Rose. 9 years.

 

Listen if he wins one with this group or another, I’ll be the first guy to say I was wrong. I’ll man up just like you did with your Burrow and Fields calls. Until then, I’m staying the course.

We put so much emphasis on the end of the year tournament...

 

The blue bloods of college basketball should expect Elite 8’s, hang banners for Final 4’s and be ecstatic when they win the tournament.

 

March is random. All I ask is a coach put us in the conversation of teams that could win it all.

 

I think Cal has done that nearly every year and I’m absolutely thrilled with his tenure at UK.

 

Last year, the greatest college coach to ever walk the sidelines couldn’t make a Final 4 with the most hyped/unique athlete in many of our lifetimes. That team also had a couple other lottery picks.

 

March is random...

 

If you expect to win a title every time your team is a 1 seed, you need to adjust your expectations...

In the last 10 seasons the number 1 NBA draft pick has won 1 NCAA championship...Davis at UK...

 

Having the best player doesn’t gift wrap a title.

 

For those of you who are unhappy with what Cal has accomplished at UK, what do you expect ?

My superstar dependency comment is valid until he wins another without the best player in school history. Futurecoach will try to throw in a random season somewhere, but we also haven’t been to the final 4 since our last megastar in KAT. Facts are facts, there’s been a decline, as spoiled as we are since 2015.

 

You’re avoiding the question though, when guys like Matt Jones and Justin Rowland are saying we’re at a turning point, that’s not good. They’re basically on Cal’s payroll.

 

Forget guys like Matt Jones and Rowland.

 

What are your expectations? What’s your “fix” to this “problem” ?

 

I feel like you’re the most unrealistic UK basketball/ Ohio State football fan on this site, so what would it take to please you ?

 

Secure commitments from the number 1 players at every position every year and win a championship every season ? Never lose a game ?

Also, name a coach that hasn’t been employed by the same school for 10 or so years that you would trade for Cal right now.

 

Again, I’m just trying to understand what level of winning it takes to make some of you all happy.

Forget guys like Matt Jones and Rowland.

 

What are your expectations? What’s your “fix” to this “problem” ?

 

I feel like you’re the most unrealistic UK basketball/ Ohio State football fan on this site, so what would it take to please you ?

 

Secure commitments from the number 1 players at every position every year and win a championship every season ? Never lose a game ?

 

Yes, I expect a title like most UK fans and that’s not realistic, but I’d settle for a grad transfer not being our best player on a team full of 4 and 5 stars.

The whole superstar thing is a non issue. I think every NCAA champion over the last 30 years has NBA first round draft picks on their roster.

The whole superstar thing is a non issue. I think every NCAA champion over the last 30 years has NBA first round draft picks on their roster.

 

Yet Cal’s only championship is with his top superstar. Nope, no issue.

Yes, I expect a title like most UK fans and that’s not realistic, but I’d settle for a grad transfer not being our best player on a team full of 4 and 5 stars.

 

I think those that expect a title every year are a little foolish, especially with the randomness of how the Champions are decided. I have a desire for one every year, but not an expectation.

  • Author
I think those that expect a title every year are a little foolish, especially with the randomness of how the Champions are decided. I have a desire for one every year, but not an expectation.

 

My expectation is they should be in true contention for one and have a true shot. Which the majority of years including 2017 and 2019 they had a true shot and were literally one basket away in both cases from maybe making that happen.

Yet Cal’s only championship is with his top superstar. Nope, no issue.

 

Kinda easy to say that and over look his supporting cast. Also just because they're GREAT in college doesn't mean they'll be great in the NBA. Haters gonna hate.

I think those that expect a title every year are a little foolish, especially with the randomness of how the Champions are decided. I have a desire for one every year, but not an expectation.

 

Once a decade or so seems realistic, sometime you get lucky twice. Cal ended the over decade droubt. In my mind he's still got plenty of time to get another, it's hard as hell to argue with his results.

Once a decade or so seems realistic, sometime you get lucky twice. Cal ended the over decade droubt. In my mind he's still got plenty of time to get another, it's hard as hell to argue with his results.

 

Sporting News named him Coach of the Decade. So they certainly agree with us.

Sometimes you got to get lucky to win one (1998), sometimes you get incredibly unlucky and lose one you shouldn't (2015). Despite not winning the title, you can't make a credible argument that the 2015 team wasn't by far the best team in the country.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.