Open Job: Graves County

After the 2018 season, Coach Lance Gregory stepped down as the head coach at Graves County after spending 10 years as the Eagles' head football coach. They named Morgan Cruce the new head coach in January, and in late May, Coach Cruce stepped down from the position citing personal reasons. Nick Kemp was then named interim head coach for the football team's 2019 season.

Coach Kemp is the only Graves coach to have a winning record in first season, and the only coach to win a playoff game in first season. They went 7-5 and only losses were to McCracken, Tighlman, Mayfield, and Owensboro twice. I'd say he more than deserves the job. But hasn't been awarded the position. You never know with Graves County, they might screw this up and not officially hire him.

This is a no brainer. I don’t understand what the hold up is. So many teams would kill to have a 7-5 season. New coach, new qb, havnt had 7 wins or a playoff win in like 5 years and this guy delivers all of that taking over in June despite all the obstacles.

He lost to 4 teams. All played for a regional championship. 2 are playing this weekend. What more do you want?

Also believe Lance Gregory and Mike Rogers had winning seasons their first years. Only Lance won 7 I think Rogers won 6.

Also Nick is 1 playoff win away from being tied with second all time in playoff wins behind Gregory. (People forget where we were before Gregory and how far he brought the program.)

This is a no brainer. I don’t understand what the hold up is. So many teams would kill to have a 7-4 season. New coach, new qb, havnt had 7 wins or a playoff win in like 5 years and this guy delivers all of that taking over in June despite all the obstacles.

He lost to 4 teams. All played for a regional championship. 2 are playing this weekend. What more do you want?

The Graves head football coaching position hasn't historically been a stable one (Gregory was there 10 years?? Didn't seem that long). Not sure about their talent pool either, or how they are developing their little league and middle schoolers. I know their little league (3rd-6th) has their own league where they only play each other. In contrast, Mayfield plays in a league with PT, Murray, Calloway, and a McCracken East and West. They need to change that up if they are going to develop talent and depth for middle and high school.

But yes, Nick is a Mayfield guy, knows what it takes to attain a ring (as a player and coach) and is the best candidate they've had in a long time.

Having a self contained league leads to more development. If you have four teams in an age bracket you are developing 20+ offensive linemen, 4-8 QBs, 8-16 running backs and that’s just on one side of the ball.

Now once you get to the MS level then playing other schools becomes a better option in most cases.

The three coaches before Lance were there for a combined 9 years. 1 was ran off by parents, 1 quit after one season for the Lone Oak job, one stayed for 5 years and wen onto Warren Central. Lance was there for 10.

Little league program is fine. Problem is they lose 1-2 kids to Mayfield from 6th to 7th grade. The middle school program finally has some stability. I had a nephew who played on the 8th grade team this last year and they made it to the semifinals. So some talent is there. I also don’t think they have lost many kids in middle school that are very valuable. That didn’t use to be the case.

Having a self contained league leads to more development. If you have four teams in an age bracket you are developing 20+ offensive linemen, 4-8 QBs, 8-16 running backs and that’s just on one side of the ball.

Now once you get to the MS level then playing other schools becomes a better option in most cases.

This particular case doesn't lead to more development. Which the results have shown. Their level of competition is too low. The players aren't being pushed by tougher competition. They need a North and South team, and they need to join the league with the other local teams. Just my two cents...

The three coaches before Lance were there for a combined 9 years. 1 was ran off by parents, 1 quit after one season for the Lone Oak job, one stayed for 5 years and wen onto Warren Central. Lance was there for 10.

Little league program is fine. Problem is they lose 1-2 kids to Mayfield from 6th to 7th grade. The middle school program finally has some stability. I had a nephew who played on the 8th grade team this last year and they made it to the semifinals. So some talent is there. I also don’t think they have lost many kids in middle school that are very valuable. That didn’t use to be the case.

I saw where their 8th grade had a successful year. I just think, on average, they need to expose their kids to tougher competition early on. And I think that is hurting them in the long run.

I’m afraid if Kemp doesn’t get this job floodgates will open. I don’t think the program can take what happened last year on the hire to happen again.

I'm not certain, but I get the impression that too many parents try to have a say so on who gets hired, what kids get playing time, etc.

This particular case doesn't lead to more development. Which the results have shown. Their level of competition is too low. The players aren't being pushed by tougher competition. They need a North and South team, and they need to join the league with the other local teams. Just my two cents...

I’d say that is more than likely coaching. I guess it also depends on what one views as development. Programs that struggle often don’t have weight room programs, instability in coaching staff and within the school and lack community and district support. Best of luck to them and whoever they hire.

I'm not certain, but I get the impression that too many parents try to have a say so on who gets hired, what kids get playing time, etc.

Your keyword is "try." Yes, parents try to get their kids playing time, but anyone who is seriously around the game knows that rarely happens and is often just an excuse when another certain kid isn't playing. I never met a coach that did not want to win every single game and would do whatever they thought they needed to do. The best players always play. Everyone else just makes excuses. 99 times out of 100 that is usually the case.