3A State Championship: Covington Catholic 27 Bowling Green 8

Birdsfan

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the Courier-Journal:

CovCath leaves Purples blue, 27-8

Two years ago John Rodenberg said he wanted the pressure of being the head football coach at Covington Catholic High School.

Last night he got his reward for dealing with it.

Playing in their first state final since winning it all in 1997, the Colonels used a balanced offense and a stingy defense to defeat Bowling Green 27-8 in the Class AAA championship game before an announced crowd of 7,379 chilly fans at Papa John's Cardinal Stadium.

I was at this game and the one before. Congrats to CovCath on the Championship and the Purples on a great season.

Be sure and mark your calendars for next years finals. Even if your team is not in a championship game, it is well worth the trip to watch these games. Despite the KHSAA, it is still young men competing at the highest level. A true gem for the high school football fan.

Congratulations to all the CovCath seniors. I have spent 4 years watching all of you dominate most everyone who came to town. You have played with the best to be the best; all that tough scheduling has paid off. You have been through two coaches that differed like night and day- from the grueling, grind it out regimin of Coach Ray to the efficient and speed-based style of Coach Rodenberg. You have shown the state that not only are you talented but also determined and classy. Thanks for the memories, and more importantly, thanks for making CovCath proud.

I'm a Coach Ray guy. I love all he's done and what he stands for.

WIth that said, Congrats to Coach R and his staff. Outstanding job.

I'm sure Coach R would be the first to say we should include the entire staff. I love Coach Hautman's defense and IMO they won the game on Friday. Hats off to Coach Haskamp as well for his development of the o-line.

BTW, the TD from Bleser to Bo was a thing of beauty. Josh put it right where it had to be against the zone defense and Bo went up and made the play. Best play of the night.

Could've done that all day too. Total dominance...

BG fans, has BG played a solid football game in the finals since 95? It seems that they make an awful lot of mistakes. I know at least 4 times on special teams they didn't even know who was supposed to be on the field.

What does Cov. Cath. have coming back next year?

Good question. With 90% of the starters this year being seniors, the team will be inexperienced next year. I'd look for a solid mix of juniors and seniors in the lineup. The o-line will most likely be juniors. The qb could be a junior.

Inexperienced as a whole.

Good question. With 90% of the starters this year being seniors, the team will be inexperienced next year. I'd look for a solid mix of juniors and seniors in the lineup. The o-line will most likely be juniors. The qb could be a junior.

Inexperienced as a whole.

How did their JV fair this year? I know they beat Highlands JV in almost the exact scenario the varsity beat us the night before. Highlands freshman did beat CCH freshman and have done so the last three years. It will be interesting to see what CCH reloads with.