Kentucky Speedway

Da champ

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My better half has been leaning on me for a while to take her to either the KY Speedway or to Daytona. I’ve been to the Indy 500 but never to a NASCAR race, not being a fan. But she is, to the point of wearing a Chase Elliott t- shirt pretty much every race day. I expect that after 40+ years of marriage, I’ll buckle under sooner or later.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Any tips for first time race goers? I know in the beginning parking and traffic was an issue, are those fixed? Also what time do people start tailgating? Any info would be appreciated.

The times I've been, we usually got there between 10:00 and 11:00. Plenty of people showing up and tailgating at that point. The earlier you get there, the closer to the track you'll get to park, but, that means the longer it may take you to get out afterwards. We almost always would fire up the grill again after the race and hang out for a while afterwards to let traffic die down.

Any tips for first time race goers? I know in the beginning parking and traffic was an issue, are those fixed? Also what time do people start tailgating? Any info would be appreciated.

If you will be near the track I suggest some sort of ear protection. Disposable ear plugs at the least.

Watching on TV yesterday, it looked as if the event was not that well attended. I am not a big race fan, but what has happened to this formerly must see event regionally?

NASCAR attendance is dropping a lot everywhere. So is TV viewership. The race at Bristol earlier this year only drew 38,000. In year's past it sold out.