Memphis 80 UK 63

gametime

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think one thing is clear. Stevenson is not going to be much of a factor this season...

During one key stretch, he missed two gimmes. In addition, his idea of defense is to chase and then try to block shots. That won't work against strong teams. If he's not dunking, its iffy at best. Use him correctly and he can help but you cannot depend on him.

Another point - UK was outcoached today.

2 5 second violations taking the ball out? That's ridiculous, especially when one came out of a timeout.

Kentucky obviously does not have the athletes that Memphis has. There aren't many teams in the nation that do; however, execution and good play selection can make up for that. Neither was there today, especially in the 2nd half.

Yes, conditioning was a problem... But NOT because they aren't well conditioned athletes... 5 games in 8 days is going to tire any team out, especially when 3 of those games are within 60 hours of each other.

I came away with about what I expected from this game... I feared Memphis more than I did UCLA because while I believe UCLA is a better team, the Cats matched up against them a lot better. UK held tough in the first half, but they lost their composure and started playing Calipari's game and when they did... Factor that with their lack of rest lately and they tired out pretty fast.

All in all, this is about where the team is right now. Only 5 games have been played though, so I'm not extremely worried.

Yes, conditioning was a problem... But NOT because they aren't well conditioned athletes... 5 games in 8 days is going to tire any team out, especially when 3 of those games are within 60 hours of each other.

I came away with about what I expected from this game... I feared Memphis more than I did UCLA because while I believe UCLA is a better team, the Cats matched up against them a lot better. UK held tough in the first half, but they lost their composure and started playing Calipari's game and when they did... Factor that with their lack of rest lately and they tired out pretty fast.

All in all, this is about where the team is right now. Only 5 games have been played though, so I'm not extremely worried.

:thumb:

UK was simply beaten by a better team tonight. We were NOT outcoached as a couple have suggested. Memphis had more athletes for their style of play and used great floor spacing on the half court sets-spread the floor and beat UK off the ball. Imo UK didn't do a good enough job on the boards and that led to a lot of runouts, we also had trouble with "help defense" and picking people up when someone got beat. This team is made up of a lot of freshmen for the most part who will get better as the season goes on. Going 1-2 in Maui makes for a LOOOOOOOng plane ride home. Tubby will have this young team much improved and I am still looking for a good season. I said at the pre season that imo we are not a final four team. I am as "Blue Blocker Glasses" as they get but I do try and be reasonable about it. I just hope all the critisizm doesn't start on this team (and I know that is too much to wish for:rolleyes: ) like it has others in the past. GO BIG BLUE!!!!!

I remember a whooping put on the cats in the Maui Classic in the 97-98 season. At one point it was 35-15 Arizona over Ky. Things looked bad. Then Duke beat Arizona the next game. How would Ky beat Duke if we had to play them later that year if Duke beat Zona who had whipped us? We did later beat Duke and went on to win the National Championship. So it is early with lots of ball to play and a Shepperd and Padgett to emerge.

During one key stretch, he missed two gimmes. In addition, his idea of defense is to chase and then try to block shots. That won't work against strong teams. If he's not dunking, its iffy at best. Use him correctly and he can help but you cannot depend on him.

:thumb: :thumb:

Another point - UK was outcoached today.

2 5 second violations taking the ball out? That's ridiculous, especially when one came out of a timeout.

Kentucky obviously does not have the athletes that Memphis has. There aren't many teams in the nation that do; however, execution and good play selection can make up for that. Neither was there today, especially in the 2nd half.

They have had this problem two years running.

I remember a whooping put on the cats in the Maui Classic in the 97-98 season. At one point it was 35-15 Arizona over Ky. Things looked bad. Then Duke beat Arizona the next game. How would Ky beat Duke if we had to play them later that year if Duke beat Zona who had whipped us? We did later beat Duke and went on to win the National Championship. So it is early with lots of ball to play and a Shepperd and Padgett to emerge.

:thumb: :thumb: Good point atticus, it is early in a long season and UK will be fine ;) although I do not see antoher "Sheppard" in this UK mix.

UK was simply beaten by a better team tonight. We were NOT outcoached as a couple have suggested. Memphis had more athletes for their style of play and used great floor spacing on the half court sets-spread the floor and beat UK off the ball. Imo UK didn't do a good enough job on the boards and that led to a lot of runouts, we also had trouble with "help defense" and picking people up when someone got beat. This team is made up of a lot of freshmen for the most part who will get better as the season goes on. Going 1-2 in Maui makes for a LOOOOOOOng plane ride home. Tubby will have this young team much improved and I am still looking for a good season. I said at the pre season that imo we are not a final four team. I am as "Blue Blocker Glasses" as they get but I do try and be reasonable about it. I just hope all the critisizm doesn't start on this team (and I know that is too much to wish for:rolleyes: ) like it has others in the past. GO BIG BLUE!!!!!

:thumb: Good post!! Spoken like a true Cat fan. I sport those same colored glasses and won't take them off until season ends!!!! I have been there for the good so I will hang around when things get bad.

:thumb: Good post!! Spoken like a true Cat fan. I sport those same colored glasses and won't take them off until season ends!!!! I have been there for the good so I will hang around when things get bad.

:thumb: :thumb: and :lol: on the glasses, do you mean you take yours off??:eek: I never do:ylsuper: , even when I am pulling for Ohio State Football! I also agree on th bad and good times and hanging in there, imo if a person wants to leave after 5 games the don't let the back door hit em' where the Good Lord Split em'!!:D And don't come back when things are going good.:irked: