UCLA 73 UK 68

UKPat02

Now that we have established that Bradley isn't a PG, can we see Jasper at the Point from now on?

I want to thank Rondo for leaving UK & going to the NBA! Thanks :)

I like the freshman before these guys leave they are going to be special... Mark my words.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When was the last time a play drawn up by Tubby during a late timeout (either in the first half or the second half) actually worked the way it was drawn up? It seems like the players end up getting off some difficult shot or turning the ball over trying to force inside. How hard is it set a couple of picks and free up a shooter - at least once in a while? Are the players not executing or is Tubby drawing up impossible plays?

Tubby is going to have some interesting playing time decisions to make. The freshmen deserve to play, but I know Tubby likes to go with the upper classmen. I don't see much value in playing Thomas more than some garbage minutes.

Thomas should never touch the floor other then warmups & timeouts!

I want to stress again how much I like this freshman class. They need to play! :ylsuper:

Thumbs up

- Offensive execution after starting out slow; once the intial wave hit, UK was patient and ran their offense decently

- The Freshman. They are the reason the lead was cut in the first half. I know UCLA was missing shots, but they had a chance to extend the lead to 25-30 points with 3-4 freshman on the court.

- Jasper. Just a good (not necessarily great) BASKETBALL player (I will give credit to GT for saying this a couple weeks ago). Able to carry a team for an entire half; not easy for an 18 year old against the #5 ranked team in the country.

- I thought Tubby did a good job coaching in this game.

- FT Defense ;)

Thumbs Down

- Turnovers. I can handle a few at the expense of the defense. But dribbling off your leg, just throwing it out of bounds, dropping wide open passes, etc. is not going to win you many games.

- Bradley and Perry - BP did a decent job defensively, but I can only recall him taking 2 shots all game. I know he is better than that. Ramel... come on man. Bonehead play to kick the game off, bonehead play to end the game, nuff said.

- Interior defense is lacking communication and any substance

- Still have a tendency to pound the ball on occasion

- Rebounding. Pathetic.

Way to young to play a top 5 team. I think we will be alright come con play. However, we need better play inside the paint.

We need to stop people inside the paint because last night UCLA was using a screen to get below the basket to get an easy two they had that all night.

Stevenson came up lame on a play during the second half. Not sure if it was an ankle or cramping. I don't think he played anymore after that. As for the team, I still have confidence in a good season with them. I don't think it will be long before we see Jasper in the line up. These freshmen are for real. All four of them. UK seems to be a better team with them on the floor.

Here is a question, did we see the freshman last night dictate to the upperclassmen that we will not go through the motions we came to play?

The freshmen kept UK in the game in the first half and it appeared that the older players came out with a little more desire in the second half.

Does Randolph Morris always spin to his left? There were a few times I thought that if he would have turned right he could have sealed the defender and had a lay up?

How could a team of any level not try something different on the low post screen? How many times do they have to catch the ball on the block before we do something different?

Joe Crawford scored points in the second half and thought he was feeling it and then shot a contested airball from 27'. Why Joe, why?

I do think they have a lot of potential. I hope they can tap into that potential.

Sheray doesnt seem to know what hes doin when he gets on the court.

I have been trying to say this and a few have tried to protect him with the term "role player," but I don't think what he does is considered a role on a winning basketball team.

Here's the box score:

Sheray Thomas

16 mins 2 pts 2 reb 2 ast 2 pf

To be fair, he also set a decent screen that freed up Crawford for a game-tying 3-pointer.

L. Orbzut

2 mins 0 pts 0 reb 0 ast 0 pf 0 blk 0 stl

His game really is "silent" AND "deadly" - for the Cats.

Both players also whipped out the Spanish Matador defense in the first half. You know "alright, I'm going to take a charge, I'm going to take a charge, no wait - OLAY!!!"

The CATS looked very good. A couple of big turnovers late hurt us. Bradley also waved off a screen so he could get abused 1 on 1. That was around 4 minutes I think. Jasper is tough. Morris rarely attacks the basket. Sheray playing in the final minutes is a joke. Why does Tubby have any faith or confidence in him. He's never shown me anything. Crawford played very good, and why wasn't the Bradley play run to him? Porter is going to get significant minutes.

The defense was tough. Yeah UCLA shot poorly but they had blue arms in their face every shot. UK even looked good on a press!!! Then they were able to get back and recover. Can Morris guard anyone without fouling?

I have been trying to say this and a few have tried to protect him with the term "role player," but I don't think what he does is considered a role on a winning basketball team.

Here's the box score:

Sheray Thomas

16 mins 2 pts 2 reb 2 ast 2 pf

To be fair, he also set a decent screen that freed up Crawford for a game-tying 3-pointer.

L. Orbzut

2 mins 0 pts 0 reb 0 ast 0 pf 0 blk 0 stl

His game really is "silent" AND "deadly" - for the Cats.

Thomas' role is to tip rebounds to the other team. Actually he's really good at picking up rebounds that bounce. I wish he would have quit.

I liked what I saw. The freshman are studs. Less turnovers = wildcat victory.

:thumb: I agree on the freshmen, I was especially impressed with Jasper. I actually thought that we would lose this game by 15 or more. Imo is like you stated on the t.o.'s. Cats had 17 t.o.'s I belive to the Bruins 7 or 9. Imo when Tubby went to the smaller lineup in te first half it really helped. Morris had a couple of bad calls against him but I thought that the ref's were calling it tight both ways. Like I have said before, this UK team is going to be o.k., they are playing together as a TEAM and not as ME. I think that we are really going to enjoy watching them this season. I know that I am. GO BIG BLUE!!!