UCLA 73 UK 68

UKPat02

You may be right about Jasper's D, but the problem I have is that Bradley and Crawford haven't been very impressive in that area either. So, I don't see much of a drop, if any, when DJ is in the game. In fact, it might be better.
You have a great point and if the offensive production is equal or better, than TO's, assists, decision making, FT's will determine the playing time and right now, Jasper certainly looks/acts more comfortable in the PG role, than Bradley.

UK and Coach Smith is often much maligned by some, regarding recruiting but this group of Freshman, certainly have a lot of appeal and upside for this year and their careers.

I like Stevenson also and if he can get some upper body muscle, can be major factor on both ends of the floor.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Me and you don't agree often, but on this one we do.....Read somewhere that Jai Lucas is a heavy UK lean, but he got cold feet come signing day, because he wants to be sure Tubby is the man at UK.....If we get Moses, we honestly don't need Patterson....The next couple years should be fun.

I'd say the chances of getting Lucas took a hit . It looks like UK has a 4 year PG.

You have a great point and if the offensive production is equal or better, than TO's, assists, decision making, FT's will determine the playing time and right now, Jasper certainly looks/acts more comfortable in the PG role, than Bradley.

UK and Coach Smith is often much maligned by some, regarding recruiting but this group of Freshman, certainly have a lot of appeal and upside for this year and their careers.

I like Stevenson also and if he can get some upper body muscle, can be major factor on both ends of the floor.

What I like about this group of freshmen is they know HOW to play...they may or may not have the individual talent of the Rondo class, but they definitely have a higher basketball IQ. And I'll take that every time.

I've been a Bradley supporter, but I really think Jasper is the answer at the point. He just impresses me...he looks like one of those guys that just has a great "feel" for the game and how to play it...when you have a guy like that you have to get him on the court as much as possible. They make everyone else so much better. And that is the biggest difference to me...when Jasper is on point, it seems like it elevates the performance of his teammates...that isn't the case with Bradley.

What I like about this group of freshmen is they know HOW to play...they may or may not have the individual talent of the Rondo class, but they definitely have a higher basketball IQ. And I'll take that every time.

I've been a Bradley supporter, but I really think Jasper is the answer at the point. He just impresses me...he looks like one of those guys that just has a great "feel" for the game and how to play it...when you have a guy like that you have to get him on the court as much as possible. They make everyone else so much better. And that is the biggest difference to me...when Jasper is on point, it seems like it elevates the performance of his teammates...that isn't the case with Bradley.

I used that same expression last night, while my son and I were watching the game....he appears to have very good instincts and fell/flow for the game.

I'll take a class, who doesn't have a standout "superstar" and will be at UK all 4 years, over a group that may have players leaving early, anytime. Reason being, it may not be until that 2nd or 3rd year, when a player decides to leave and a missed opportunity is gone, to secure a player of equal or better talent, then having to settle for "whomever" is available.

I really like this class and getting a big man in the mix, is essential. Right now, UK has no depth in the post.

I used that same expression last night, while my son and I were watching the game....he appears to have very good instincts and fell/flow for the game.

I'll take a class, who doesn't have a standout "superstar" and will be at UK all 4 years, over a group that may have players leaving early, anytime. Reason being, it may not be until that 2nd or 3rd year, when a player decides to leave and a missed opportunity is gone, to secure a player of equal or better talent, then having to settle for "whomever" is available.

I really like this class and getting a big man in the mix, is essential. Right now, UK has no depth in the post.

If Jasper gets the playing time he deserves, and improves as you would expect, I wonder if he'll be around for 4 years. I think most NBA teams would want a 6-6 PG who can defend, handle and has a good feel for how to play. And, before anyone brings up his shooting...remember Rajon Rondo.

Maybe because Jasper is a freshman who did not start and who had 4 times as many assists and 3 times as many rebounds as starting PG Bradley. The fact that Jasper also had all three of UK's steals also might be a factor.

Turnovers are turnovers, and IMO, the fact that he had a few steals doesn't necessarily negate his turnovers, especially the one late. Yes, he's a freshman, but it seems as if he's going to be playing ALOT this year for the Cats, so he doesn't have much time to get his feet wet. My point in bringing that up was merely for the fact that I think you guys should be equally frustrated with EVERYBODY'S turnovers on the squad, thats all.

If Jasper gets the playing time he deserves, and improves as you would expect, I wonder if he'll be around for 4 years. I think most NBA teams would want a 6-6 PG who can defend, handle and has a good feel for how to play. And, before anyone brings up his shooting...remember Rajon Rondo.
True, but most experts and others thought/assumed that Rondo would not be a 4 year, student-athlete at UK. Jasper will get better, has plenty of upside and if able to stay healthy, will play a lot of minutes and be a key component, for UK this season.

Great effort by UK, they turn around and have another battle right away.
Agreed and this early test, should prepare them for UNC, Indiana and Louisville....not an easy task at all, with 2 of those on the road [uNC and UL]

Turnovers are turnovers, and IMO, the fact that he had a few steals doesn't necessarily negate his turnovers, especially the one late. Yes, he's a freshman, but it seems as if he's going to be playing ALOT this year for the Cats, so he doesn't have much time to get his feet wet. My point in bringing that up was merely for the fact that I think you guys should be equally frustrated with EVERYBODY'S turnovers on the squad, thats all.

There is a difference in a junior who has seen quite a bit of playing time in his previous two years making a turnover late in a big game and a freshman who is playing his 4th collegiate game, and his first against a marquee opponent.

So, we might be equally frustrated over any turnover, but Jasper's is more understandable and expected at this point.

But, why are we focusing on the TO's anyway...take that away and Jasper played a far superior game than Bradley.

True, but most experts and others thought/assumed that Rondo would not be a 4 year, student-athlete at UK. Jasper will get better, has plenty of upside and if able to stay healthy, will play a lot of minutes and be a key component, for UK this season.

Not sure that's relevant to the argument...I'm sure there weren't a lot of experts expecting Dwayne Wade to leave Marquette early either.

At an early glance, Jasper reminds me a little of Deron Williams (Utah Jazz) who played at Illinois recently....he has that same calm under control demeanor when he has the ball with good size and long arms.

Not sure that's relevant to the argument...I'm sure there weren't a lot of experts expecting Dwayne Wade to leave Marquette early either.

At an early glance, Jasper reminds me a little of Deron Williams (Utah Jazz) who played at Illinois recently....he has that same calm under control demeanor when he has the ball with good size and long arms.

Didn't know we were arguing....:lol:

I'm just responding, about Jasper and his shooting, along with possibly leaving early like you alluded to about Rondo, along with his shooting. I don't think anyone thinks he will leave early and in time, will become a complete all-around scorer and defensive player.

As for Wade, not many people had heard of him at all, until the NCAA tournament and his dominant performance against the 'Cats.

Didn't know we were arguing....:lol:

I'm just responding, about Jasper and his shooting, along with possibly leaving early like you alluded to about Rondo, along with his shooting. I don't think anyone thinks he will leave early and in time, will become a complete all-around scorer and defensive player.

As for Wade, not many people had heard of him at all, until the NCAA tournament and his dominant performance against the 'Cats.

We weren't...I was making a general argument:D that from what I've seen early on, Derrick Jasper isn't a sure bet to be at UK for 4 years.

STRIKE...me and you...argue? Never...:p