Bishop Brossart 69 Silver Grove 25 (37th District Play-in Game)

So was this the last game in Silver Grove history? Or are we waiting one more year before the change is made?

From what I've read and heard tonight was the end of the line for the Big Trains.

Silver Grove never won a district championship but did finish runner-up six times (1935, 1943, 1944, 1945, 1959, and 1978). The three times during the War Years was when only champions advanced to the region so Silver Grove played in three region tournaments, losing to Ludlow in 1935, Newport in 1959, and Holmes in 1978.

Actually this was a quarter-finals event.

The Mustangs will wheel right back tomorrow (Tuesday) night at 6pm for a semi-finals bout with top-ranked Campbell County at the Campbell County Middle School.

By all indications this was the last ever game for the Silver Grove Big Trains. The Campbell County School Board has voted to accept them.

Brossart had four double-figure scorers - J.D. Schumacher (17), Ethan Eilerman (14), Carson Schirmer (12) and Jacob Steffen (11). A total of 8 Mustangs put ink in the scoreboard en-route to the 69-25 win.

With the score 6-2 in favor of Brossart, Silver Grove's Mike Jones scored a field-goal. That would be the only score outside of 23 from Spencer Macke in the ballgame. Macke hit 12 of 14 from the charity stripe. He was named to the All-Tournament Team.

Brossart improves to 19-10 and Silver Grove closes out their season at 9-18.

A statistical oddity for sure; one guy scores all but two of his team's points.

Reminds me of the old Adolph Rupp story. UK up by something like 30-4 at the half; with one guy getting the 4. Rupp railed at his guys at halftime - "THAT GUY'S KILLING US!".

So Macke is done at Silver Grove? I heard he would be transferring out to get his diploma at Highlands...Why did he not play at Highlands? From my understanding he has attended most of the schools In NKY. What is that all about?

So Macke is done at Silver Grove? I heard he would be transferring out to get his diploma at Highlands...Why did he not play at Highlands? From my understanding he has attended most of the schools In NKY. What is that all about?

Highlands would be crazy to take him back just for 3 months! I think that is just a rumor.

He will graduate as a Train then ride the tracks to WVU to be what I assume will be a glorified ball boy.

Highlands would be crazy to take him back just for 3 months! I think that is just a rumor.

He will graduate as a Train then ride the tracks to WVU to be what I assume will be a glorified ball boy.

Highlands has no choice but to take him back since they live in the district, and my understanding from those in the Fort is he will in fact be back at Highlands for the last bit of his senior season.

The "ball boy" comment seems harsh and unnecessary.

I believe a lot of players from NKY over the years, if given the opportunity to be in a program like WVU and get to travel all over the country and be in the NCAA tournament every year and all of the perks that go with being in the program, would take that opportunity. If someone wants to go into coaching also this is a great way to get your foot in the door and get your career started while being a part of the program. Not everything is about playing time.