Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Urban Meyer to Step Down at Season's End!

Featured Replies

  • Replies 128
  • Views 16.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If anyone saw the family gather post-Michigan game and the tears flowing, then you know this is not some made up crisis. Urban is being forced out by his health and it is a really hard family decision.

If anyone saw the family gather post-Michigan game and the tears flowing, then you know this is not some made up crisis. Urban is being forced out by his health and it is a really hard family decision.

 

Thanks for taking the high road and not running over to get a laugh out of his health, or make a joke about his wife. He’s a legendary coach but I hope he can enjoy being Grandpa Urb now. That’s some bad juju mocking someone’s health.

  • Author
If anyone saw the family gather post-Michigan game and the tears flowing, then you know this is not some made up crisis. Urban is being forced out by his health and it is a really hard family decision.

 

That may be the case. However, after the way he left Florida because of "health issues" only to reappear in Columbus a year later, I don't think it's out of line to be skeptical.

I'm guessing OSU fans aren't shocked but I'm a little shocked they are going with Ryan Day without a national search. A program like OSU would be attractive to the top coaches in the country.

  • Author
I'm guessing OSU fans aren't shocked but I'm a little shocked they are going with Ryan Day without a national search. A program like OSU would be attractive to the top coaches in the country.

 

When you look at the top coaches though....

 

Dabo ain't leaving Clemson.

Saban ain't leaving Bama.

Riley ain't leaving Oklahoma.

Kelly ain't leaving Notre Dame.

Fisher ain't leaving A&M.

Smart ain't leaving Georgia.

 

What elite coach is left that would be the can't miss hire?

When you look at the top coaches though....

 

Dabo ain't leaving Clemson.

Saban ain't leaving Bama.

Riley ain't leaving Oklahoma.

Kelly ain't leaving Notre Dame.

Fisher ain't leaving A&M.

Smart ain't leaving Georgia.

 

What elite coach is left that would be the can't miss hire?

 

Peterson in Washington ? Could they get Herman to leave Texas ? ( bad blood I know) . I'm just saying I figured OSU would do a more detailed search and they probably did behind closed doors.

 

The more interesting part will be how this influences recruiting.

When you look at the top coaches though....

 

Dabo ain't leaving Clemson.

Saban ain't leaving Bama.

Riley ain't leaving Oklahoma.

Kelly ain't leaving Notre Dame.

Fisher ain't leaving A&M.

Smart ain't leaving Georgia.

 

What elite coach is left that would be the can't miss hire?

 

I agree for the most part. It wouldn’t surprise me to see Fisher make the leap if he was offered.

I agree for the most part. It wouldn’t surprise me to see Fisher make the leap if he was offered.

 

Not with the contract Fisher got.

I hope that Urban is okay, but I do believe that he’s doing this over health and also believe that he wasn’t asked to step down by anyone. If he does coach again, I don’t think it’s after the next season. If it goes over 3-5 years, I wouldn’t look for him to come back to coaching. If he does, I think that it will be as a college football coach.

  • Author

If coaching is causing too much stress for him, any chance he ends up in a GM role for an NFL club or as an AD in college? I know most Buckeye fans I know can't stand Gene Smith.

I wish Urban nothing but the best. While people like to second-guess and play doctor, when it's your health you don't joke about it. I have a former co-worker that's gone from a clean bill of health six months ago to being told he's got 2-3 months to live (cancer on his spine and brain). Tomorrow is never promised. Enjoy your family while you can. If things change and he can come back, I won't hold it against him. But the job is not worth dying over.

 

And if I could talk to Coach, I'd thank him for one heck of a ride. It's been an amazing experience. 7-0 against Michigan? Heck yeah! Big Ten Championships? You betcha! National Championship? Darn right! Honestly the final 3 games of 2014 are three of the best games I've ever been witness to, as a Buckeye fan. Thank you for all of it! I know there's been frustrating games at times, but I wouldn't want to miss the past 7 years you've been a part of the Buckeye Nation. Good luck, Coach. O-H!

If coaching is causing too much stress for him, any chance he ends up in a GM role for an NFL club or as an AD in college? I know most Buckeye fans I know can't stand Gene Smith.

In his most recent contract extension there was a provision in place for him to have an administrative role in the athletic department. Now that was going to take place years down the road when the contract is up, but it’s something Urban has definitely thought about. As far as Gene Smith goes, I just wasn’t a fan of how the Tressel stuff went down. But he brought in Urban Meyer and Chris Holtmann, hard to get too worked up over Gene.

The more interesting part will be how this influences recruiting.

They made Ryan Day the HC because of recruiting. Continuity is huge to recruits.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.