Urban Meyer to Step Down at Season's End!

UKMustangFan

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If anyone saw the family gather post-Michigan game and the tears flowing, then you know this is not some made up crisis. Urban is being forced out by his health and it is a really hard family decision.

Thanks for taking the high road and not running over to get a laugh out of his health, or make a joke about his wife. He’s a legendary coach but I hope he can enjoy being Grandpa Urb now. That’s some bad juju mocking someone’s health.

If anyone saw the family gather post-Michigan game and the tears flowing, then you know this is not some made up crisis. Urban is being forced out by his health and it is a really hard family decision.

That may be the case. However, after the way he left Florida because of "health issues" only to reappear in Columbus a year later, I don't think it's out of line to be skeptical.

I'm guessing OSU fans aren't shocked but I'm a little shocked they are going with Ryan Day without a national search. A program like OSU would be attractive to the top coaches in the country.

When you look at the top coaches though....

Dabo ain't leaving Clemson.

Saban ain't leaving Bama.

Riley ain't leaving Oklahoma.

Kelly ain't leaving Notre Dame.

Fisher ain't leaving A&M.

Smart ain't leaving Georgia.

What elite coach is left that would be the can't miss hire?

Peterson in Washington ? Could they get Herman to leave Texas ? ( bad blood I know) . I'm just saying I figured OSU would do a more detailed search and they probably did behind closed doors.

The more interesting part will be how this influences recruiting.

I agree for the most part. It wouldn’t surprise me to see Fisher make the leap if he was offered.

I hope that Urban is okay, but I do believe that he’s doing this over health and also believe that he wasn’t asked to step down by anyone. If he does coach again, I don’t think it’s after the next season. If it goes over 3-5 years, I wouldn’t look for him to come back to coaching. If he does, I think that it will be as a college football coach.

I wish Urban nothing but the best. While people like to second-guess and play doctor, when it's your health you don't joke about it. I have a former co-worker that's gone from a clean bill of health six months ago to being told he's got 2-3 months to live (cancer on his spine and brain). Tomorrow is never promised. Enjoy your family while you can. If things change and he can come back, I won't hold it against him. But the job is not worth dying over.

And if I could talk to Coach, I'd thank him for one heck of a ride. It's been an amazing experience. 7-0 against Michigan? Heck yeah! Big Ten Championships? You betcha! National Championship? Darn right! Honestly the final 3 games of 2014 are three of the best games I've ever been witness to, as a Buckeye fan. Thank you for all of it! I know there's been frustrating games at times, but I wouldn't want to miss the past 7 years you've been a part of the Buckeye Nation. Good luck, Coach. O-H!

If coaching is causing too much stress for him, any chance he ends up in a GM role for an NFL club or as an AD in college? I know most Buckeye fans I know can't stand Gene Smith.

In his most recent contract extension there was a provision in place for him to have an administrative role in the athletic department. Now that was going to take place years down the road when the contract is up, but it’s something Urban has definitely thought about. As far as Gene Smith goes, I just wasn’t a fan of how the Tressel stuff went down. But he brought in Urban Meyer and Chris Holtmann, hard to get too worked up over Gene.