December 4, 20187 yr Sources: Urban Meyer to step down as Ohio State head coach Ohio State coach Urban Meyer plans to step down and will coach his final game in the Rose Bowl, sources told Yahoo Sports. A myriad of factors contributed to Meyer’s decision, but sources say foremost among them was his happiness with the state of the Ohio State program he inherited seven years ago. Meyer, 54, will be replaced by Ryan Day, the 39-year-old offensive coordinator who served as Ohio State’s interim coach earlier this season. The university will announce Day as the permanent replacement on Tuesday, and the team was scheduled to be informed in a meeting early Tuesday morning.
December 4, 20187 yr Author Pete Thamel Verified account @peteThamel Urban Meyer will retire as Ohio State's head coach. Ryan Day will replace him.
December 4, 20187 yr Author Breaking everywhere now.... Someone put an APB out on @GrantNKY. Guess there was something to all the "he doesn't look right" talk after all.
December 4, 20187 yr Breaking everywhere now.... Someone put an APB out on @GrantNKY. Guess there was something to all the "he doesn't look right" talk after all. Yep, even before the headache chatter started, it was obvious he looked extremely disengaged. Just a completely different Meyer than you had ever seen on the sidelines. It's possible this look was related to not getting too amped up because of the headaches, but it was still evident.
December 4, 20187 yr With an arachnoid cyst like his, I'm surprised Urban has been able to cope with a job like his for 20 years. Stress doesn't impact the actual size/growth/composition of the cyst, but stress is definitely able to intensify the symptoms and pain that can be caused by the cyst. And if his cyst is continuing to grow back despite medical procedures to reduce it, it seems like retiring by now is pretty much inevitable.
December 4, 20187 yr Current offensive coordinator Ryan Day will take his place as the head coach beginning January 2nd.
December 4, 20187 yr I do. I do too...this just feels like Florida all over again. I would agree. Have no doubt having a cyst on the brain is miserable, but at times the "brain pains" seemed too made for TV. I can picture him at the Boucher dining room table in The Waterboy.
December 4, 20187 yr If you didn't see this coming, you can't see. Does anyone think there is a chance he coaches again? I've felt like this could happen all along. I wonder if Ohio State "encouraged" him to leave at the end of the season after the suspension? That wouldn't be public knowledge but it seems possible.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.