October 14, 20187 yr Well, I have seen this script before. Bottom line, story of the game. No pressure on Ben, end of story. You score when you can, ridiculous to not to. Probably could have taken 20-30 seconds more, would not have made a difference IMO. They had the timeouts they did not use. My only complaint is we didn't play to win this game the whole game. We had the ball 4th and 1 on the forty with the first drive of the second half and punt. I don't like that unless you are ahead by two scores. Other than that, we just got outplayed. Could calls have gone the Bengals way? Of course, they didn't and it was not an awful game by the officials. The Bengals defense is not playoff caliber, end of story. Good defenses win those games. Basically agree with all the above. Especially the 4th and 1 decision to punt. Be aggressive Marvin! Even when being aggressive doesnt work like when it didnt earlier this season and people complained. I still would rather Marvin be aggresive every single time. Defensively I think it's fair to start questioning the new DC. The Bengals defense last year with a horrible offense and always having to be on the field looked better last year than this year so far. Even though it was OPI. Definitely have to question the all out blitz for the first time all game on Pittsburgh game winning play. Even Burfict was questioning the call when walking into the locker room when talking to another play. He said they never even call that play in practice.
October 14, 20187 yr Sad, but not surprised. Don't forget our last drive was outstanding; but, Steelers were victims of bad spot that should have been ruled a TD rather than down on the 1/2 yd line. Great goal line stand held them to 3 and a 6 point lead. Proper ruling would have put us down two scores and insurmountable lead. Best team today won. Let's beat KC in prime time!
October 14, 20187 yr For the first time in as long as I can remember I didn’t watch one second of a Bengals game. I’ve been at Disney all week and figured it would be a better use of my time to just focus on family this week. So I didn’t watch a second of the Bengals or Ohio State this week. I would check my phone periodically during today’s game and happened to check right after the Bengals scored the go ahead TD. I saw the time and just had this gut feeling they would lose. I have no comments on the game since I didn’t watch. It’s recorded at home so I’ll probably watch tomorrow night, but if you would have told me the defense only gave up 28 points I would have bet they win relatively easily due to the Steelers defense being attrocious. I have a lot of football to get caught up on the next couple of days.
October 14, 20187 yr I put the blame for the loss in two places. 1. Marvin - The reason the Bengals got no pressure is because of their game plan. The Bengals game plan versus Ben is don't blitz, collapse the pocket to keep him from extending plays with a controlled rush. But if that game plan leads to a record of 2-14, shouldn't you try something different? It isn't working Marvin. 2. Lack of execution - The Bengals players did not make plays and the Steelers did. Dropped passes were a problem and probably cost the Bengals points. The Bengals missed a couple of interception opportunities. The difference between winning and losing in a one score game is not making plays and making mistakes. Finally, the Bengals did not mismanage the clock in this game. When you are losing, you score. The Steelers had all three timeouts left when they started that last drive. You don't think they would have played the whole sequence differently if they had 15 seconds less at the start of the possession? Time and bad clock management by the Bengals was not a factor on that last drive.
October 14, 20187 yr For the first time in as long as I can remember I didn’t watch one second of a Bengals game. I’ve been at Disney all week and figured it would be a better use of my time to just focus on family this week. So I didn’t watch a second of the Bengals or Ohio State this week. I would check my phone periodically during today’s game and happened to check right after the Bengals scored the go ahead TD. I saw the time and just had this gut feeling they would lose. I have no comments on the game since I didn’t watch. It’s recorded at home so I’ll probably watch tomorrow night, but if you would have told me the defense only gave up 28 points I would have bet they win relatively easily due to the Steelers defense being attrocious. I have a lot of football to get caught up on the next couple of days. Don't eat anything before you watch the Ohio State game, you'll likely get sick from watching it. Talk about a team playing bad defense. Geeez. And, I agree...if you tell me we hold Pittsburgh to 20 points through 59 minutes, I like out chances.
October 14, 20187 yr Don't eat anything before you watch the Ohio State game, you'll likely get sick from watching it. Talk about a team playing bad defense. Geeez. And, I agree...if you tell me we hold Pittsburgh to 20 points through 59 minutes, I like out chances. I think you may have convinced me to just forego watching it. I’m sure it was the same old tired stuff from the defense.
October 14, 20187 yr Eh plenty of times Marvin manages the clock completely wrong. However, yes they left to much time. However how else would you have wanted them to handle that last drive? At what point do you think they should have something different? I mean they even ran a running play from the 4 in an attempt to make sure the clock keeps running. Do you want them to tell Mixon not to score? I dont think they mishandled the clock at all. There was nothing they could or should have done different. Agree. When you’re behind and have to score, scoring is the most important part part. You can’t manage the clock so much that it gets you out of rhythm. And if you mess around and don’t score, it doesn’t matter how much time you left for the Steelers. This loss is on the defense. The offense did their part with the late drive...the D has to step up and get a stop.
October 15, 20187 yr Author Basically agree with all the above. Especially the 4th and 1 decision to punt. Be aggressive Marvin! Even when being aggressive doesnt work like when it didnt earlier this season and people complained. I still would rather Marvin be aggresive every single time. Defensively I think it's fair to start questioning the new DC. The Bengals defense last year with a horrible offense and always having to be on the field looked better last year than this year so far. Even though it was OPI. Definitely have to question the all out blitz for the first time all game on Pittsburgh game winning play. [b]Even Burfict was questioning the call when walking into the locker room when talking to another play. He said they never even call that play in practice.[/QUOTE] Could be a reason they don’t!! If Austin wanted to try something like that should’ve done it earlier in the game when Ben was in the pocket taking a nap!!
October 15, 20187 yr Author Well, at least we don’t have to worry about Mahomes making plays outside the pocket next week like the one he just made against the Patriots, unless he just decides to run out on his own!!
October 15, 20187 yr The hold was a hold. His arms went around him. Dre just has to do better. And the pick play happens in every NFL game and rarely gets called. And even if they call it, the Steelers kick the FG and win the game. The Bengals shot themselves in the foot over and over and lost this game themselves. They got absolutely no pressure on Ben all day. They squandered good field position a few times. They looked lost on offense at times. They couldn’t cover a TE all day long. The defense allowed third down conversion after third down conversion. The offense/coaching staff doesn’t understand clock management. The Bengals lost, the weren’t robbed. Tip your hat to the Steelers. They made plays when needed. I disagree on both comments. it should have been a offensive Pi. Had it called it would have probably took them out of Field Goal range. Had this been Pitt vs New England the Pats would have gotten the call.
October 15, 20187 yr You dont have to go back to watch it. Pittsburgh scored with 10 seconds left. So if the penalty was called, it would have still been 10 seconds left. Time doesnt get put back on, and they would have been 10 yards further back. if the PI is called wouldn't there been a 10 sec run off?
October 15, 20187 yr if the PI is called wouldn't there been a 10 sec run off? No. The Steelers had timeouts remaining.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.