Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Jacob Heil discussion

Featured Replies

It should be tried the same, but I’d imagine if Heils lawyers could determine that being on his phone was the cause of the accident instead of drinking, it may result in a much lesser sentence. Am I wrong? To me, his punishment should be the same regardless, but I’m not sure if legally it would be viewed that way.

  • Replies 46
  • Views 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
100% full of crap. Still the fact that he blew a .051 leads me to believe he was probably a distracted driver not a drunk driver. I think texting is maybe a more likely cause of the event than drinking. The penalty should be the same either way.

 

I was thinking the same thing. .051 isn’t much at all even for an 18 year old. Distracted driving seems like a plausible explanation for veering off of the road.

I read that he has been charged with a misdemeanor. Why is it only a misdemeanor right now? Shouldn’t he have much more charges against him?

I would think alcohol will be involved in the charge because while he was “only” .51, that’s more than double the legal limit for those under 21. Any alcohol can be bad for an inexperienced driver who is also an inexperienced drinker.

 

This is an awful tragedy. No punishment will be back the kid who was killed, and even a light punishment won’t ease make the drivers life any better as he has to carry this mistake with him both mentally and legally for the rest of his life.

Have read every article and none have identified the driver's hometown. Does anyone know if he is from NKy?

I’ve heard a bunch of differing reports on this story. Including one that says Heil didn’t ever veer off the road and on to the sidewalk. I’m not sure what we do and don’t know right now.

  • Author
I’ve heard a bunch of differing reports on this story. Including one that says Heil didn’t ever veer off the road and on to the sidewalk. I’m not sure what we do and don’t know right now.

 

This story is what I am hearing now.

 

They have shut down that area of Cooper Drive a couple of times this week as part of their investigation. The Lexington police have asked multiple times for any eyewitnesses to come forward with information.

 

This story is ripping my heart out.

  • Author
Have read every article and none have identified the driver's hometown. Does anyone know if he is from NKy?

 

He is from Lexington.

 

He graduated from Paul Lawrence Dunbar High School in June, 2018 and played soccer for the school.

Of course being from Lexington he probably just commutes to UK, but for non-commuter students are Freshmen still banned from having cars on campus?

Of course being from Lexington he probably just commutes to UK, but for non-commuter students are Freshmen still banned from having cars on campus?

No you can have a car on campus as a freshmen. I wasn’t aware they were ever banned. Also I doubt he was a commuter, most of the people I met who were from Lexington lived on campus. Especially ones who were involved like Heil was.

I've said it before in other alcohol related threads, alcohol abuse/drinking and driving is taken WAY too lightly in this country. If you have been drinking, you don't get behind the wheel, EVER.

I've said it before in other alcohol related threads, alcohol abuse/drinking and driving is taken WAY too lightly in this country. If you have been drinking, you don't get behind the wheel, EVER.

I don’t think you’ll find anyone who disagrees. I just think in this case assigning the blame to alcohol may not be the whole story.

I would think alcohol will be involved in the charge because while he was “only” .51, that’s more than double the legal limit for those under 21. Any alcohol can be bad for an inexperienced driver who is also an inexperienced drinker.

 

This is an awful tragedy. No punishment will be back the kid who was killed, and even a light punishment won’t ease make the drivers life any better as he has to carry this mistake with him both mentally and legally for the rest of his life.

 

His blood alcohol level was 0.051 and not 0.51 according to court papers filed the other day. Still considered a DUI though since he is underage.

I don’t think you’ll find anyone who disagrees. I just think in this case assigning the blame to alcohol may not be the whole story.

 

So who should we assign the blame to?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.