Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Jacob Heil discussion

Featured Replies

So who should we assign the blame to?

Like I said previously I think the cause was distracted driving.

  • Replies 46
  • Views 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
His blood alcohol level was 0.051 and not 0.51 according to court papers filed the other day. Still considered a DUI though since he is underage.

 

Yep. I mistyped and had the decimal point off. If he were .51, he'd likely be dead and unable to even move, let alone drive.

Like I said previously I think the cause was distracted driving.

 

Just making sure you weren't trying to place the blame on someone else...

 

He should be charged with a DUI, without question. And if he was distracted in other ways, tack that on too.

Just making sure you weren't trying to place the blame on someone else...

 

He should be charged with a DUI, without question. And if he was distracted in other ways, tack that on too.

No the blame is 100% on him. I do think eventually there should be a conversation about UKs tailgating policies and pushing students off campus for tailgates, but that shouldn’t be included in this thread. Yes, charge him with a DUI, I’m fine with that. I just don’t think .051 would make someone swerve off the road unless there is something biologically with Heil that causes alcohol to have more severe affects than other people.

Unless the boy ran out into the road in front of Heil, has has to be charged with something in regards to the child's death. Whether it is some reckless driving charge or manslaughter or what. I don't know the different charges available in KY to say for sure but no way can a child, or any person for that matter, be killed and nothing happen. If you want to blame alcohol, or cell phones, or talking to his buddy in the car...doesn't really matter.

I don’t think you’ll find anyone who disagrees. I just think in this case assigning the blame to alcohol may not be the whole story.

 

Oh you will find many who disagree, some on this board even. Some think it's perfectly acceptable to have a few beers, couple of drinks, whatever, and drive. I say it should be unacceptable for EVERYONE.

Unless the boy ran out into the road in front of Heil, has has to be charged with something in regards to the child's death. Whether it is some reckless driving charge or manslaughter or what. I don't know the different charges available in KY to say for sure but no way can a child, or any person for that matter, be killed and nothing happen. If you want to blame alcohol, or cell phones, or talking to his buddy in the car...doesn't really matter.

I think it 100% matters what the blame is. Texting and driving is equally as dangerous as drinking and driving and it’s something people should take as seriously. He’ll be charged with manslaughter at the minimum I would expect.

Oh you will find many who disagree, some on this board even. Some think it's perfectly acceptable to have a few beers, couple of drinks, whatever, and drive. I say it should be unacceptable for EVERYONE.

 

It's not really a discussion for this thread, but if you want me to agree that it should be unacceptable if I go out to dinner and have a (singular) beer and then drive home, sorry I can't agree.

 

We have laws and we have BAC limits for a reason.

I think it 100% matters what the blame is. Texting and driving is equally as dangerous as drinking and driving and it’s something people should take as seriously. He’ll be charged with manslaughter at the minimum I would expect.

Why does it matter? Unless you think it helps with stiffer laws about texting and driving I'm not sure why it matters.

Why does it matter? Unless you think it helps with stiffer laws about texting and driving I'm not sure why it matters.

I think the more examples of what can happen when you text and drive, the better. If this was strictly alcohol I think the story is different. Texting and driving is a much more prevalent issue.

I think the more examples of what can happen when you text and drive, the better. If this was strictly alcohol I think the story is different. Texting and driving is a much more prevalent issue.

 

Agreed. I think at any given time, over 50% of all drivers on the roadways are driving while either texting, surfing the web, or talking on their phone.

I am interested in knowing exactly what happened. Initially, they said he swerved but then they say he did not. Reports also say the family was on the curb. So, if he didn’t swerve and the family was on the curb, how did the boy get hit? Though legally drunk for his age, I find it hard to believe he was impaired. He probably felt very sober when he got behind the wheel, and thought it was ok. Was he texting or otherwise distracted? Does anybody know? They are still looking for witnesses.

 

I feel horrible for everyone involved. A child is dead, and a young man’s life is ruined. If that was my child who was killed, I would be out for blood. If Jacob was my child, I would be looking for a way out for him.

 

Certainly, Jacob should pay the price for this horrible tragedy, but I can’t demonize the poor kid. When all the facts are in, including his tox screen, I may feel differently, but for now I am sad for everyone.

Agreed. I think at any given time, over 50% of all drivers on the roadways are driving while either texting, surfing the web, or talking on their phone.

 

When I see someone driving with their phone up looking at it, I honk my horn and wave my hand and point down to tell them to pay attention to the road.

When I see someone driving with their phone up looking at it, I honk my horn and wave my hand and point down to tell them to pay attention to the road.

 

I drive around 30,000 miles a year for work. This is far too common. The distracted driving issue has only gotten worse.

When I see someone driving with their phone up looking at it, I honk my horn and wave my hand and point down to tell them to pay attention to the road.

 

I bet you get “the bird”a lot!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.