Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Top 10 Things Wrong With The Playoff System

Featured Replies

I think that has changed this year. I think they are playing a state championship game, pitting the "nothern" champion and the "southern" champion at the new soccer stadium in Carson. I believe the two representatives come from power points. It may not be a "playoff" to get to the title game, though. Go to this website a click around. Pretty interesting.

 

http://www.cifstate.org/

 

That's neat, thanx for the link. Yeah, they always used to complain about how the Southern teams got all the press and we Northern teams got the shaft. Everybody was always saying there should have been a state title.

 

Looks like CIF has created 2 new Sections "Oakland" and "San Joaquin." These did not exist when I was playing. We always played the Oakland teams and they always had some hoss-cat running backs that we had to deal with.

  • Replies 57
  • Views 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is there any other sport besides football that does not allow all teams to participant in the post season?

Is there any other sport besides football that does not allow all teams to participant in the post season?
Not that I know, but football isn't a valid comparison with other sports. In all of the other team-vs.-team sports (baseball, basketball, soccer, volleyball, softball, etc.), games can safely be played more than once a week ... not so with football.
The biggest problem I have with this playoff system is that of the best three 4A football teams in the state (Male, St. X, Trinity), only one will make the semi-finals of the playoffs.

 

I think these are the schools that should have the biggest gripe with the new system.

With all due respect to Boyle Co., CCH and Highlands have been consistently great for the last 20 years. Should CCH and Highlands be in opposite regions?

 

The fact that poeple can, with a straight face, argue that 2 teams in the same city should be in different regions is comical to me. It happens, great teams end up on the same side of the bracket, woe is us. I can't believe T and X fans feel picked on because they don't get to be in opposite semi-state brackets.

With all due respect to Boyle Co., CCH and Highlands have been consistently great for the last 20 years. Should CCH and Highlands be in opposite regions?

 

The fact that poeple can, with a straight face, argue that 2 teams in the same city should be in different regions is comical to me. It happens, great teams end up on the same side of the bracket, woe is us. I can't believe T and X fans feel picked on because they don't get to be in opposite semi-state brackets.

 

Good post :thumb:

The fact that poeple can, with a straight face, argue that 2 teams in the same city should be in different regions is comical to me. It happens, great teams end up on the same side of the bracket, woe is us. I can't believe T and X fans feel picked on because they don't get to be in opposite semi-state brackets.

 

I couldn't agree more. Sure, it's good for football in the state when the two best teams in any class end up in the finals. However, that is just not always going to be the result we get. And the only way to even give it a chance would be to seed the entire playoffs after the regular season is over. And still it would be too subjective to be possible.

Maybe too many teams do go to the playoffs, but coming from a small school I like the idea of giving the lower seeds a chance. What I don't agree with is the first two rounds being played in your own district. This brings the long bus trips back into discussion, but I myself always liked playing a team I hadn't already played in the regular season.

I think we should just develop a KCS (similar to the BCS) and just allow the KCS to choose who plays for the championship.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Ok, ok - just kidding!!!

 

 

 

 

 

3. Top two teams out of the district make the playoffs. They play each other for the right to make the Regional Finals. This means instead of three games, there is one. (This year, would be played on 11/3)

 

.

 

So you are telling me that in 1A Newport Central Catholic, who has a legit shot at the state title, should not be playing right now?

 

And in 2A, Sheldon Clark who is 9-1 and ranked #6 in the state who's only loss came to the heated rival on a sloppy field should be sitting at home as well twiddling their thumbs?

 

Both these schools have legit shots at the state title yet would be excluded because they are 3 seeds...

When I played in the late 80s only 2 teams made it worked fine.

I personally like the 4 team system, although I could still contend that the football season does go on forever. I was a quarterback (before Blake Powers, Indiana University came along) and a reciever, and I hated throwin/catching in the cold weather. Call me a baby whatever you like just happened to be my preference to be playing in warm weather. However if it was just the top two teams making the playoffs out of the district then my senior year 2001 at Meade County we wouldn't have made the playoffs at 9-1 due to the tie breaker (three way tie for first) and we wouldn't have knocked off St. X in the 1st round of the playoffs. The whole playoff picture could have been changed with X and Male in the region finals and maybe X would have made it to the state instead of Bush and company. Although there might be some blowouts in the 1st round like there always is there will also be upsets some larger than others which makes the playoffs more exciting.

 

Taking out some sleeper teams and teams that very well deserve to make the playoffs would be like shortening down March Madness in college basketball and not letting some of those potential Cinderella teams not make the field of 65 (which in this case the field would be more like 32 or 16). A lot of teams such as Boyle County (5-5) have played very tough non-district schedules which do not indicate how well they can preform in thier own district (4-1). I know Boyle is a 2 seed I'm just commenting about the overall record. Also a team like Montgomery County who is also 5-5 has big potential to make a run in the playoffs as a three seed. They turned it on in the district when they needed to, and are playing right now like a team that should be 8-2. We would also be eliminating Manuel and PRP from the playoffs who have just as much potential to knock off either of St. X and Male year in and year out when playoffs come even if they don't beat them in the regular season.

 

I do agree with you that a team with only 3 or 4 wins on their schedule shouldn't make the playoffs but I think that overall it's better to let team in with three or 4 wins then to cut a team with 7, 8, or 9 wins, and I think it is good for high school football if the ball bounces the right way for a 3 or 4 seed and they are able to knock off a 1 or 2 seed. It does a lot for their community and for the school. Please keep the comments about me being crazy to yourself about the reference to March Madness I know it's far fetched but it was the closest example I could come up with.

:sssh:

  • Author
So you are telling me that in 1A Newport Central Catholic, who has a legit shot at the state title, should not be playing right now?

 

And in 2A, Sheldon Clark who is 9-1 and ranked #6 in the state who's only loss came to the heated rival on a sloppy field should be sitting at home as well twiddling their thumbs?

 

Both these schools have legit shots at the state title yet would be excluded because they are 3 seeds...

 

I agree my plan is not perfect. Yes, good teams can be left at home. Happens every year in the NCAA. Just ask Auburn a few years ago. Maybe we should go to a point system similar to Ohio? This would allow strong districts to send 3-4 teams and weak districts to only send one. I think one of the biggest shortcomings is that weak districts where the # 2 team is 6-4 and the #4 team is 2-8 all get four teams in, while strong districts with a 7-3 team could be # 5. Maybe it would be best to only send the 32 BEST teams to the playoffs.

 

Shorten the season to 8 games? Make every district a 4-5 team district.

This will be worst next year when team that finish the season 0 - 10 make the playoffs!

I really don't have a problem with the current system of 4 teams. At first I did, but the more I thought about it, the less I did. If it allows kids to play the sport they love an additional week, why would I be against it? Plus its just one more week of practicing for the underclassmen to help them improve for the following season. And please don't tell me about how it negatively impacts on basketball. Basketball as been the spoiled baby in Kentucky for way too long. I have nothing against basketball, other than the belief of some basketball coaches and fans that the world revolves around basketball. Frankly I'm glad that the KHSAA is trying to place football on even footing with basketball. Hopefully the KHSAA goes the next step and next year has the championship games spread out over three days, with two games a day, in order to create a Sweet 16 type environment. They ought to trade mark the slogan "The Tough 6 Tournament".

They ought to trade mark the slogan "The Tough 6 Tournament".

Wouldn't that be "Tough 12?" :D;)

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.