Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Top 10 Things Wrong With The Playoff System

Featured Replies

I don't see the benefit in that, gchs. I know it was just an idea thrown out there for discussion, but I just wouldn't think it would be a good thing.

 

It wouldn't cut any time from the playoffs.

 

It would cut 32 games off the schedule for that night (48 next year) but along with that goes the gate money, and a lot of it.

 

And I'd guess all of those #1 seeds would rather play a game at home against the #4's than be idle.

  • Replies 57
  • Views 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't see the benefit in that, gchs. I know it was just an idea thrown out there for discussion, but I just wouldn't think it would be a good thing.

 

It wouldn't cut any time from the playoffs.

 

It would cut 32 games off the schedule for that night (48 next year) but along with that goes the gate money, and a lot of it.

 

And I'd guess all of those #1 seeds would rather play a game at home against the #4's than be idle.

 

2C, you're definitely right. I was just trying to think of a way to eliminate the #4 seed, while keeping the #3 to keep a "9-1, Sheldon Clark" from missing the playoff due to tiebreaker.

 

Personally, if they have four classes, I think the top four qualifying is an okay plan. I think when they move to six classes, it should be dropped to only the top two per district make the playoffs. Especially considering many of the districts are only four teams.

 

But none of this will happen because its all abot money. And that's fine by me.

I can see both sides of it and there are good points supporting 4 teams and also good points supporting 2.

 

I don't see the extra week as being a bad thing, so I guess I lean towards leaving it at 4 teams from each district in the playoffs.

This will come out of left field,,, but what the heck.

 

How about each district champion automatically gets in to the playoffs. Then, based on a computer ranking system similar to Ohio you determine 8 more "At-Large" teams... you then subdivide the remaining 16 teams into 4 regions like we already have with and seed those 4 teams 1-4 according to the same computer system.

 

Thus, district champions get a deserved automatic spot in the playoffs, yet teams who may have missed the cut but earned their laurels through their regular season play and scheduling still can continue their season.

 

Just tossing it out there...

This will come out of left field,,, but what the heck.

 

How about each district champion automatically gets in to the playoffs. Then, based on a computer ranking system similar to Ohio you determine 8 more "At-Large" teams... you then subdivide the remaining 16 teams into 4 regions like we already have with and seed those 4 teams 1-4 according to the same computer system.

 

Thus, district champions get a deserved automatic spot in the playoffs, yet teams who may have missed the cut but earned their laurels through their regular season play and scheduling still can continue their season.

 

Just tossing it out there...

 

That's probably the best idea I've heard about reducing the playoffs. I like the 4 teams making it in the 4A system. The 6A system I kinda like this idea, the only problem I have with it and I think the KHSAA would have the same problem is the traveling issue, if you have more then 3 at large teams coming form the same area such as Louisville or Lexington then one of those teams would have to travel a long way for each game during the playoffs. The traveling expenses will become a hassel for the school. I know my school hates to spend money on traveling or to even spend money period. It would just be one of those things they'd have to suck up and open those deep pockets they have.

 

Another thing that would probably have to be considered in this would be maybe having an open week between the last game regular season game and the playoffs because I know it would take awhile in order to draw up brackets and calculate the points for each team in deciding who's in and who's out. If you don't have the open week then you probably wouldn't figure out who you play until sometime later on Sunday then you'd still have to go and trade films and do the things you normally do Saturday morning. This would put you behind two days already in preparing for your next game. So all in all I really wouldn't mind this system if the bye week came at the end of the regular season.

The only poblem I see with the playoff schedule is at you can loose every district game in one particular district ie. 2A Reg 2 District 4 and still make the playoffs. While on the other hand go 3-4 in an eight team district and go to the house and listen to the playoffs on the radio. No disrespect intended to the teams in 2A Region 2 District 4. Its not your fault the KHSAA cant get teams only an hour and a half to play in that district instead of travelling 2 hours to another. KHSAA is the one to blame. I have one word for that problem POLITICS. Anyone to add you veiws: the floor is open. Someone please shed some light. :confused: :confused: :confused:

The only poblem I see with the playoff schedule is at you can loose every district game in one particular district ie. 2A Reg 2 District 4 and still make the playoffs. While on the other hand go 3-4 in an eight team district and go to the house and listen to the playoffs on the radio. No disrespect intended to the teams in 2A Region 2 District 4. Its not your fault the KHSAA cant get teams only an hour and a half to play in that district instead of travelling 2 hours to another. KHSAA is the one to blame. I have one word for that problem POLITICS. Anyone to add you veiws: the floor is open. Someone please shed some light. :confused: :confused: :confused:

POLITICS SMOLITICS. That's just a lame excuse in many cases for non winning programs. Period. That's also why when they surveyed us on the new alignment for 2007, there was a desire to keep teams to 4 or 5 within a district. The one thing that you, I, nor the KHSAA can control is where schools are built. Is it the KHSAA's fault that no school near the size of Ashland Blazer is within an hour? Or Belfry? If it is, and you think the schools (which is the KHSAA not the office or Board) can solve it, then we need to assign them much bigger crisis to solve.

Here is a far-fetched idea...it would never happen...but hey it least it would be fun to think about:

 

To eliminate the long season that includes the playoffs, why not take the top 2 teams in each district and let them battle it out for the state championship and then (for the crazy idea):

 

Why not have the state set up a "bowl" series where each team that finishes with a certain record (at least .500 for the sake of argument) get selected to play in an end of season bowl game vs another team from another region.

 

For instance, in the case of R2D4, Manual with their 6-4 record could play Madison Central (also 6-4) in a bowl game for a trophy and the teams could play at a neutral site (like EKU, WKU or some place pretty nice) and they could split the gate.

 

Sure its not the best thing, but at least if you dont make the playoffs you could at least play for a "Bowl Trophy" for your display case. You could then look at the entire Class and say "Ok, this year, based on overall records of all teams, 16 teams will battle for the 4-A trophy while 16 teams will battle for "Bowl Spots". You look at the average record and say ok, the magic record in this case is 5-5" so if you finish at least with a 5-5 record, you will be "bowl eligible" and you will be paired up with a team that has a similar record to yours (Hey who wouldnt like to see Scott Co. & Apollo and play in a bowl game with both being 7-3 this year at Commonthwealth Stadium). Im sure the state wouldnt have a problem finding a sponsor to donate money for a nice trophy and some pizza for the players.

 

Like I said...it would never happen...but at least it shortens the season a bit, it gives teams who dont make the playoffs something to play for and it would at least be fun to play for some kind of trophy in the end.

Please keep the computers out of it. I don't have a problem with four teams making the playoffs.Although next year when you have some districts with just 4 and some districts with up to 8 I seriuosly believe that needs to be addressed. Last I checked 8+4=12 divided by 2 = 6 wasn't to hard for me to figure out.I have said on here before I do not like the switch to playing your own district in the 1st two rounds. The variety is much better in my opinion. I really don't see travel times outside the Louisville area really be reduced that much by going to the new format, and again I think that by playing the other district you are more likely to end up with the best two teams playing for the regional championship.

I don't think that the playoff system that prevents the best teams from competing in the finals is the one to use. I'd also prefer 5 classes instead of 6. Eliminate a bye week for everyone. Maybe seed the regions.

Anyway, football is the only sport in Ky. that does not allow every school to participate in a playoff system. Schools in other sports have a chance regardless of the season record.

When I played in the late 80s only 2 teams made it worked fine.

 

I remember a team in the early 80's that was undefeated and ranked #1 the entire season in their class until losing their last game to the #2 ranked team who happened to be in their sub-district. This one loss knocked them out of the playoffs and a team that defeated by 40 points a couple of weeks earlier went on to the state finals from their side of the state. The previous year was a similar situation with the team left out of the playoffs having to watch a team they beat by 3 TD's winning the state title.

 

I think that today's playoff format, as flawed as it may be, is much better than the one used in the early 80's.

What do you think would have happened if there was a public/private split. A lot more teams would be in a playoff. I still think it is pitiful that we are going to a 6A state. It seems to me that everyone thinks that everyone should have a state trophy. To be the best, you have to beat the best. Going 6A didn't solve a thing because the teams that complained the most are going to be in the same class as ST. X and Trinity. Way to go guys.:dancingpa

Please keep the computers out of it.

Amen!! Most of the folks talking good things about a computerized system like Ohio's don't live there.

 

But just like here, those that benefit from their system love it. Those that don't, don't like it. For example, most of the complaints from those that don't like a revised format for playoffs this year are those who are used to having great third and fourth round gates. Now, those big gates might be second round. And... they could lose. But guess what, some other school who usually doesn't get to have a third or fourth round game gets to have one. So somebody's happy, somebody's sad. It's that way with most things in life though.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.