Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Top 10 Things Wrong With The Playoff System

Featured Replies

The biggest problem I have with this playoff system is that of the best three 4A football teams in the state (Male, St. X, Trinity), only one will make the semi-finals of the playoffs.

 

I think these are the schools that should have the biggest gripe with the new system.

 

I agree. I was talking with RonBurgundy & JimSchue last night and I think we all agreed that last year's setup was better where teams started the playoffs with teams in the opposite district in their region. Jim's point was that he believed this was a way to punish the L'ville teams and make some others happy. While I hate to think that is true, .... he is probably right. Personally, I like the idea of playing other teams you may not normally play. There are a few teams in the first round of the playoffs meeting up for the 2nd week in a row (eg. Southwestern vs Pulaski, .... Madison Central vs Lincoln County) come to mind immediately. This may work for basketball and the other sports, but football is different with 1/2 as many games as most other sports.

 

If some think this year is bad with 58% of the teams making the playoffs, they will really not be happy next year when well over 80% of the teams will make it. Over 8 out of 10 is too many IMHO. But then again, I don't like that every team makes the postseason in every other sport except football either. The regular season ought to mean more than just where you are seeded, .... unless of course you like the insane 'blind draw' in some of the other sports districts. At least football in Kentucky hasn't gone down that road yet.

  • Replies 57
  • Views 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

my two cents. . .

 

problem I have is that you are going to have the power houses playing way too early in the playoffs. If all the Louisville teams need to be on one side, thats fine, but to have a STX-Male game in the second round, and the winner possibly playing Trinity in the third is a little crazy. Those games should be quarter and semi-finals game.

 

I think what we might see this year, are closer then normal first and second round games, and blow outs in the 3rd and 4th round games.

The biggest problem I have with this playoff system is that of the best three 4A football teams in the state (Male, St. X, Trinity), only one will make the semi-finals of the playoffs.

 

I think these are the schools that should have the biggest gripe with the new system.

Amen brother.

With all due respect to Boyle Co., CCH and Highlands have been consistently great for the last 20 years. Should CCH and Highlands be in opposite regions?

 

The fact that poeple can, with a straight face, argue that 2 teams in the same city should be in different regions is comical to me. It happens, great teams end up on the same side of the bracket, woe is us. I can't believe T and X fans feel picked on because they don't get to be in opposite semi-state brackets.

You are correct. How many times in the last ten years has the Ohio state championship really been decided early in the playoffs between two Cincy schools? How many times in the last 20 years has the AAA state champ been decided in Park Hills or Ft. Thomas in the third round of the playoffs. There should only be one team out of each class come out of each area. That is why it is called district, then region.

I really don't have a problem with the current system of 4 teams. At first I did, but the more I thought about it, the less I did. If it allows kids to play the sport they love an additional week, why would I be against it? Plus its just one more week of practicing for the underclassmen to help them improve for the following season.

 

Take it a step further LN to it's logical conclusion. Make it an 9 Week season and let everybody into the playoffs. No districts, teams could schedule whoever they want for the season. I would much rather let "undeserving" teams into the playoffs, then leave a deserving team out.

...why would I be against it?
I can give you a really good reason! EKU - 1977.

nervous.gif

Take it a step further LN to it's logical conclusion. Make it an 9 Week season and let everybody into the playoffs. No districts, teams could schedule whoever they want for the season. I would much rather let "undeserving" teams into the playoffs, then leave a deserving team out.

 

Without districts, how do you decide who plays who once the playoffs begin?

Not that I know, but football isn't a valid comparison with other sports. In all of the other team-vs.-team sports (baseball, basketball, soccer, volleyball, softball, etc.), games can safely be played more than once a week ... not so with football.

 

From a scheduling standpoint perhaps not. From the standpoint of "deserving to be in the playoffs" by having a winning record (which seems to be a issue with some) I believe the comparison is valid. IMHO the number of teams in the playoffs should only be limited by scheduling constraints.

Without districts, how do you decide who plays who once the playoffs begin?

 

 

Blind draw. The teams in the districts would be defined, but you don't necessarily have to play them. This is how it works in Indiana.

Wouldn't that be "Tough 12?" :D;)

 

 

Yes dang it, it would be a Tough 12 Tournament.

and at #1..... The best two teams will not likely play in the title game.

and at #1..... The best two teams will not likely play in the title game.

Who cares? That happens all of the time in nearly every sport. It's life....it's not unique to Kentucky 4A / 6A football. The world will, most assuredly, keep spinning on its axis. :thumb: :thumb:

Who cares? That happens all of the time in nearly every sport. It's life....it's not unique to Kentucky 4A / 6A football. The world will, most assuredly, keep spinning on its axis. :thumb: :thumb:

 

:thumb:

 

You have to beat that the second best team at some point in the playoffs to beat the best. Why does it matter what round it happens?

The number one thing wrong with the playoff system is like anything else in kentucky. The state is involved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and thats that

What if only 3 teams made the postseason per district, instead of 4. This eliminates those "last place" teams that we're always mad about. That would give a first round bye to the district champion, therefore possibly making the regular season championship a bit more of a priority.

 

I'm not sure I favor this idea, but its an alternative.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.