St. Xavier 2018

Ram

Tigerpride94’ i agree with each of your points. Back in the 50’s and 60’s each parish fielded a football team. Now with all the negative publicity pertaining to the head trauma issue the mom’s are putting their foot down. Unless the safety issue can be solved, we might be seeing the beginning of the end of high school football. The decrease in numbers is alarming.

Is it a football issue or a school issue? Catholic grade school is expensive with enrollment dropping. My nephew plays for a merge of teams, I think they’re called Central Catholic Shamrocks, but it’s about 4 or 5 schools combined.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it a football issue or a school issue? Catholic grade school is expensive with enrollment dropping. My nephew plays for a merge of teams, I think they’re called Central Catholic Shamrocks, but it’s about 4 or 5 schools combined.

I think it's actually about 9 schools if you go back 10-15 years....Barnabas, Pius, Martha, Agnes, Raphael, Stephen Martyr, Ascension, Bartholomew and Francis of Assisi. This is not including James and Holy Family. Also, I've heard that the large East-end parishes of Michael and Patrick are merging for football purposes. I guess there will be no shortage of referees.

I believe it’s a football issue. My son played at SSM,and 4 years ago they had about 30 kids and own team. Now only maybe 10 kids play. The school enrollment is about the same.

I think it is a football issue. Agnes is the same in size, but not enough for football.

I think three things, which are actually related.

First, the Moms are stepping up. They don't want their little boys to play football.

Second, the CSAA went to tackle for 3rd and 4th grades. I think this was a mistake. In addition to the Moms, now if you go out in 3rd or 4th, and get scared, you will never step on that field again.

Third, the rise of soccer, and now lacrosse. Travel teams, etc.

I saw the Tigers have a Freshman receiver named Jamere Dorsey on Varsity roster. Looks like Coach Wallace is going utilize talented Frosh. Glad to see this. This kid played in KY Futures game against TN in middle school.

Get the best players on the field!

When you take a storied football program like X has, and then you look at the miserable results they have endured against their rival over the last 15 years you knew things were bound to swing back in Saint Xavier’s favor. With the new coaching staff coming in, and a new optimistic attitude present, Saint X once again are getting The type of freshmen they have been missing out on for the last several years. For the last two out of 4 years Saint Xavier has won most of the talented freshmen.with a victory over Trinity this year in the varsity game this will only enhance the Tigers chances to gain the advantage over Trinity when it comes to persuading 8th graders to come the Tiger’s way. There is a complacency that comes with dominance. I think Trinity is suffering from that right now. There have been few improvements to the Trinity physical structures for some years now. Now, take a look at the athletic facilities offered at Saint Xavier. If you are an 8th grader you decide where you would rather be.

No, but they are running split squad practices instead of two a days. 1st practice is basically starters and key reserves. 2nd practice is JV and other reserves. Allows kids who would not get a lot of reps to get reps. Also coaches can evaluate kids better since will dress 100 kids so need to see who top 100 are for travel squad. New concept they are trying out since have 160 kids.

I don't know if Cincinnati Moeller still does it, but their JV team used to be it's own independent team from varsity. Separate coaches, and a separate roster...all sophomores (save the few talented sophomores that played varsity and no JV). The JV team did not dress for varsity games, but they used to be better than a lot of varsity teams around Greater Cincinnati.

Sounds almost like that's what Coach Wallace is trying at St. X.

When you take a storied football program like X has, and then you look at the miserable results they have endured against their rival over the last 15 years you knew things were bound to swing back in Saint Xavier’s favor. With the new coaching staff coming in, and a new optimistic attitude present, Saint X once again are getting The type of freshmen they have been missing out on for the last several years. For the last two out of 4 years Saint Xavier has won most of the talented freshmen.with a victory over Trinity this year in the varsity game this will only enhance the Tigers chances to gain the advantage over Trinity when it comes to persuading 8th graders to come the Tiger’s way. There is a complacency that comes with dominance. I think Trinity is suffering from that right now. There have been few improvements to the Trinity physical structures for some years now. Now, take a look at the athletic facilities offered at Saint Xavier. If you are an 8th grader you decide where you would rather be.

30-0. I'll take that complacency.