St. Xavier 2018

Ram

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tigers had Intrasquad scrimmage last night. Not much to take away other than offense passed a lot. Definetely a change in offense philosophy. Coach Wallace said he tailors the offense to the QB and X QB is a good passer. Only two more weeks to polish the new offense. The good thing is should have offense down by playoffs. Defense should be ready to rock right away.

At picture day, today, they wore black uniforms. They looked good but I’m a traditionalist and prefer the gold pants and green jerseys.

I'm not a fan of the black uniforms either. But I would guess the kids really like them, and it is all about the kids, right? :lol2:

Coach Wallace said the defense is way ahead of offense, and it might be mid season for the offense be where he wants it. Desmond Andrews-Ogbogu, who starts at DB, will also get 15-20 snaps at receiver. Said there is still competition at outside receiver. Coach Wallace said he really likes the defense. He said the secondary is more athletic than what he remembers X being in the past. FB Jack Varga has been moved to nose guard and he likes linebackers Owen and Sams. Also likes Bascom twins at defensive ends.

Coach Wallace said the defense is way ahead of offense, and it might be mid season for the offense be where he wants it. Desmond Andrews-Ogbogu, who starts at DB, will also get 15-20 snaps at receiver. Said there is still competition at outside receiver. Coach Wallace said he really likes the defense. He said the secondary is more athletic than what he remembers X being in the past. FB Jack Varga has been moved to nose guard and he likes linebackers Owen and Sams. Also likes Bascom twins at defensive ends.

The good thing is X will be able to still be productive offensively because the running game will always be there. Friday will be a great indicator of where the offense truly is because it’s someone else lined up across from them.

We have won too numerous of games to mention because of the running game, if for no other reason than we wore people out. I, for one, don't want 30 passes per game just for the sake of passing. I do, however, expect passing on first down, tight ends receiving, throwing under coverage when the deeps are covered instead of throwing anyway.

Have never understood why every pro and college team in America has a pass on the goal line that only the receiver can catch, about a yard deep in the end zone, and sometimes on his knees, but we didn't. Never a fan of Petrino, but dang, copy some of his plays!

We have won too numerous of games to mention because of the running game, if for no other reason than we wore people out. I, for one, don't want 30 passes per game just for the sake of passing. I do, however, expect passing on first down, tight ends receiving, throwing under coverage when the deeps are covered instead of throwing anyway.

Have never understood why every pro and college team in America has a pass on the goal line that only the receiver can catch, about a yard deep in the end zone, and sometimes on his knees, but we didn't. Never a fan of Petrino, but dang, copy some of his plays!

I think you'll see that. The passing game isn't going to be everyone go long and lets hope we come down with it...but much more of stretching the offense horizontal and hitting guys over the middle. Then when the time comes, taking shots down the field. But the Tigers have to be able to pass with more consistency than they have the last few years, and be able to be comfortable doing it. That's what I think Coach Wallace's style will bring; he's still a lineman at heart and knows the running game is still key to being very successful.

I think you came close to hitting it on the head. We were never comfortable when throwing when we had to because we never threw when we did not have to. An offense has no confidence in a pass play called in late 3rd quarter at 3rd and 15 when we have not executed that pass in 2 games except in practice.