Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

St. Xavier 2018

Featured Replies

What does St. Xavier need to do to improve in 2018? What do they need to keep doing to be successful? Remember, please be constructive.

  • Replies 116
  • Views 33.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tiger defense should be strength with most starters and experience returning. Offensive line will have to replace to D-1 players so may not be as good there. New coach and play book to break in also. I’ve been impressed with what I’ve seen of Coach Wallace so far, and I believe the program is in good hands. Looking forward to opener with DeSales.

Congrats to LB Patrick Owen getting scholarship offer from Air Force Academy. He will be big player on D this year.

It will be interesting to see how Coach Wallace implements his offense and to see how the players are able to adjust to new terminology, scheme, etc.

 

Defensively, I want to see more speed on the field. I want to see dudes that can move and make plays in space from the LBers and DBs.

 

Looking forward to seeing what X will look like come August. I don't know if they'll be able to knock of the guys from St. Matthews, but I do believe the gap will begin to narrow quite a bit.

Grateful for the many years we were able to have Coach Wallace at BGHS. Happy for him and happy for X Nation.

 

Offensively, he will be looking for speed. Of course, he will utilize any strength that currently exists on that side of the ball but he will want two or three athletes that can get down the field. With his knowledge of offensive schemes, it is hard to get his offenses off the field. For the past decade+ the Purples often (like 90% of the time) would score in the 40's. Give him some burners to go with some corn fed big boys and look out.

Grateful for the many years we were able to have Coach Wallace at BGHS. Happy for him and happy for X Nation.

 

Offensively, he will be looking for speed. Of course, he will utilize any strength that currently exists on that side of the ball but he will want two or three athletes that can get down the field. With his knowledge of offensive schemes, it is hard to get his offenses off the field. For the past decade+ the Purples often (like 90% of the time) would score in the 40's. Give him some burners to go with some corn fed big boys and look out.

 

Thinking back over the last decade of BG football, their offense has been really good when they've been able to run the football consistently. Traditionally, that's something X has done very well, so hopefully Coach Wallace sprinkle in some more passing concepts and lead to an offense that will use the entire width of the field, not just between the hash marks.

It will be interesting to see how Coach Wallace implements his offense and to see how the players are able to adjust to new terminology, scheme, etc.

 

Defensively, I want to see more speed on the field. I want to see dudes that can move and make plays in space from the LBers and DBs.

 

Looking forward to seeing what X will look like come August. I don't know if they'll be able to knock of the guys from St. Matthews, but I do believe the gap will begin to narrow quite a bit.

 

It's interesting that you mentioned defensive stuff. I saw on the listserve the other day that Coach Wallace was looking for assistant coaches on the defensive side of the ball and specifically DB coaching.

 

I would think that either 1) he would've already had a staff filled when he took the job because of the connections he has in the state or 2) it wouldn't be hard to find people that want to coach at St X.

I know Coach Wallace took BG to Dalton to play 7 on 7. Will he now take the Tigers to Dalton as well? It would be a great trip for them!

It's interesting that you mentioned defensive stuff. I saw on the listserve the other day that Coach Wallace was looking for assistant coaches on the defensive side of the ball and specifically DB coaching.

 

I would think that either 1) he would've already had a staff filled when he took the job because of the connections he has in the state or 2) it wouldn't be hard to find people that want to coach at St X.

 

That is interesting. I would guess that spring practice is almost complete some assistants may be moving onto other things, especially non teachers.

I know Coach Wallace took BG to Dalton to play 7 on 7. Will he now take the Tigers to Dalton as well? It would be a great trip for them!

 

Possibly. I wouldn’t think they’d go this year because I’m sure Dalton has already filled their tournament, but something to keep an eye on in the future.

Thinking back over the last decade of BG football, their offense has been really good when they've been able to run the football consistently. Traditionally, that's something X has done very well, so hopefully Coach Wallace sprinkle in some more passing concepts and lead to an offense that will use the entire width of the field, not just between the hash marks.

 

Purples has ran football very well, recently. Not too many years removed from Mr. Football running back Jamal Carothers and current RB Vito Tisdale. However, look at the stats of the passing yards and you will see that more than vast majority of schools a true balanced attack of air and run game. With the Purples speed in recent history a 5 yard swing pass could turn into a 60 yard TD pretty quickly. Of course any coach wants some speed and some big guys up front to block but you give that kind of team to Wallace and you will see a great offensive performance.

 

What a lot of folks don't know is that Wallace and Coach Brohm (Purdue) are extremely close friends. Look how prolific Brohm is on offense. Wallace has taken some of Brohm's stuff but Brohm will tell you he has also taken some of Kevin's stuff.

 

It will be fun to watch. Hoping X only loses one game this year! Good luck and hope you guys have a great season.

Today is last spring practice and will be scrimmage format. I wish I could go but have to work.

I heard in today’s scrimmage that offense scored twice in 2 hours of scrimmage. Sounds like defense played well. I’m sure learning curve for offense. Probably can’t take away a lot since all kids played. August scrimmage with Simon Kenton will be good measuring stick before season.

I heard in today’s scrimmage that offense scored twice in 2 hours of scrimmage. Sounds like defense played well. I’m sure learning curve for offense. Probably can’t take away a lot since all kids played. August scrimmage with Simon Kenton will be good measuring stick before season.

 

Probably to be expected by the offense, especially if Bruner is still the DC. I would image there will be a big jump in the learning curve from now to the beginning of fall practice.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.