UK/Coach Cal/KyKy Tandy

You don’t have to fill a roster with KY kids but letting a KY kid go play out of state when he is good enough to play at UK is stupid.

I think if he was good enough to play at UK, UK would be recruiting him.

If Rex Chapman has gone to play out of state would there have been shade thrown?

Rex was a 1st team Parade All American and a McDonald's All American. He is in a different category than the others being mentioned in this thread in my opinion.

If / when Kentucky has another top 5 / 10 recruit I would expect Cal to go after him.

Some act as if in-state talent going out of state is new. It's far from it.

Jeff Mullins. AA at Duke in the 60's. Lexington guy.

Vince Taylor, Lexington guy went to Duke in '80. (Because cats had Minnifield, Macy, Dwight Anderson and Shidler at guard.)

Kenny Higgs went to LSU as did Durand Macklin. Both Louisville products that UK missed out on or didn't recruit. No one blamed Hall for it.

How many Vandy players were from KY High Schools in the 70's, 80's and 90's. No one fussed about Hall or Sutton or Pitino not getting them or making room for them.

Higgs was from Owensboro lead OHS to the 1972 state championship.

Rex was a 1st team Parade All American and a McDonald's All American. He is in a different category than the others being mentioned in this thread in my opinion.

If / when Kentucky has another top 5 / 10 recruit I would expect Cal to go after him.

So the answer is yes then. Shade would have been thrown.

I’m sure people fussed about it but there wasn’t twitter or Facebook around to see the fussing.

True. But in the circles I was around, "The Cats Pause" Fanatics, there was never any shade being thrown at "missing out" on those guys.

Chris Lofton

Working and living in KY if I had a dime for every time a kid left the state and performed extremely well for any school not named UK and a UK fan said, “we should have gotten him for us, we need him” then I’d own KSR, BGP and would be deleting old tweets about my rivals in preparation for a career change.

Like who? Lofton is the only one that I can think of that UK fans say that about. Maybe Hopson but didn't UK offer him and he choose UT? And with Lofton there was no scholarships left for him.

So the answer is yes then. Shade would have been thrown.

Of course, but unless your saying the UK / UL should always go after homegrown top 10 recruits, I'm not sure I get the point you were making. I don't think anyone would disagree that both schools should recruit someone like Rex. The problem is that Kentucky is not producing players like Rex on a regular basis.

Like who? Lofton is the only one that I can think of that UK fans say that about. Maybe Hopson but didn't UK offer him and he choose UT? And with Lofton there was no scholarships left for him.

I’ve heard it about Quentin Goodin and Kelan Martin just this year. Chris Lofton is another. Scotty Hopson is another. Folks wanted OJ Mayo. The great Anthony Hickey, Marquis Teague debates. You could even mention D’Angelo Russell though I don’t think the 2015 team needed Russell.

Of course, but unless your saying the UK / UL should always go after homegrown top 10 recruits, I'm not sure I get the point you were making. I don't think anyone would disagree that both schools should recruit someone like Rex. The problem is that Kentucky is not producing players like Rex on a regular basis.

No argument there but IMO UK shouldn’t be missing out on players like Kelan Martin, Quinten Goodin or KyKy Tandy either.

Chris Lofton

Lofton turned out to be a much better player than anybody thought he would be. It's not like UK was the only school that missed. I don't remember who all recruited him but stud basketball players don't normally pick UT over UNC, Duke, UL, UK, etc.

There are always going to be studs who slip under the radar. Heck, even the Patriots passed on drafting Tom Brady six times before they got it right.

Chris Lofton

I do remember that. But I think a lot of that was driven by how successful he was in beating UK a few times and it was the end of Tubby and beginning of Gillespie era. Everyone was griping then. :lol2:

I’ve heard it about Quentin Goodin and Kelan Martin just this year. Chris Lofton is another. Scotty Hopson is another. Folks wanted OJ Mayo. The great Anthony Hickey, Marquis Teague debates. You could even mention D’Angelo Russell though I don’t think the 2015 team needed Russell.

No argument there but IMO UK shouldn’t be missing out on players like Kelan Martin, Quinten Goodin or KyKy Tandy either.

Who should UK have passed on to offer Goodin?

Martin wasn't even a top 100 player. Who should they have dropped to offer him?

Tandy is barely a top 150 player. Is he even the top rated player in Kentucky?

Didn't Kentucky offer Mayo and he choose USC?

I mentioned Lofton but to add to it, that was the year Tubby had his best class. Rondo, Bradley, and Crawford. Probably the 3 best guards left in the class that didn't go Pro. Anyone that says they knew Lofton was going to end up as good as he was is lying, period.

I mentioned Lofton but to add to it, that was the year Tubby had his best class. Rondo, Bradley, and Crawford. Probably the 3 best guards left in the class that didn't go Pro. Anyone that says they knew Lofton was going to end up as good as he was is lying, period.

This.

They brought in Fox instead of Goodin...No coach in the country would pick Goodin over Fox.

Martin was a freshman the same season as Karl Anthony Towns, Tyler Ulis, Devin Booker, and Trey Lyles. Oh, and they had the twins, WCS, Dakari, Poythress, and Marcus Lee all returning. Where did Martin fit in there? Who should they have turned away in that incoming class to bring in Martin?

But why recruit him if he's not going to play?

Quote Originally Posted by sweet16 View Post

"agree but if there is one that can play there then they should recruit them. Honestly there are very few that can play at UL or UK or the years."

That is why I said if they can play there. If they can't then move on.

Couldn’t tell you. I’ll ask these folks at work who spoke on Goodin and Martin all year long.

Far as I know he is the top rated player in KY. If he isn’t then that begs the question why UK isn’t recruiting the top rated player in KY but recruiting the second best player in KY.

Only thing I know about Mayo is that he went to USC for a year.

Folks still whine about Lofton. If Tandy ends up with a Lofton-like career somewhere else then folks will whine about him as well.