Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

First Week of Playoffs -- A waste of time or what?

Featured Replies

Whats your opinion? IMO -- I think the first week is unnessary -- I mean it should be between the first and second place in the district. Are there any facts to show that a third or fourth place team has done anything with this structure? Please enlighten me.:confused:

  • Replies 47
  • Views 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe Bourbon Co won the State Championship in 1997 as a three or four seed. NCC was a three seed in 2000 and was State Runner-up.

I believe Bourbon Co won the State Championship in 1997 as a three or four seed. NCC was a three seed in 2000 and was State Runner-up.

 

:thumb:

Although some are more or less likely than others, I could see the following 3 seeds winning in the "AAA" playoffs this year:

 

Franklin-Simpson (Reg. 1, D2)

Valley (Reg. 2, D3)

Franklin Co. (Reg. 3, D6)

Mason Co. (Reg. 4, D8)

 

Again, not saying they are likely, just saying these teams could potentially win in Week 1 of the playoffs.

 

Yes, I realize that a couple of these teams could finish 2nd or 4th, but I'm assuming this weekend goes according to Hoyle.

 

So "No", I wouldn't say the first weekend is a complete waste of time.

Its definitely not a waste in NKY 1A and 4A.

  • Author
I believe Bourbon Co won the State Championship in 1997 as a three or four seed. NCC was a three seed in 2000 and was State Runner-up.

 

Point taken -- thank you.

Its definitely not a waste in NKY 1A and 4A.

 

Agree 100%.. 1A has NCC at the 3 seed and 4A has all four teams in it that have beaten eachother.

Who do think has the advantage in this years playoff system in the second game? The winner or the loser of the first game? I believe except for a reg season blowout it will benifit the lower seed. what do you think?

In 1A, dist 5/6 there has been a few yrs where all dist 5 teams have won.

 

I do not like the top 4 teams going to the playoffs myself. I am all for the old ways of just the top two teams competing. I know, sending 4 teams gives everyone an opportunity to make the playoff, well that is great. However, why were the playoffs changed this yr, to cut back on expenses/travel. The home teams, most of the time, lose money due to the fact the visiting team does not bring a crowd. Who wants to watch a 2-8 team play a 9-1 team?

 

I know also, everyone has a chance on any given night but lets face facts. Some of the teams in the playoffs have no business being there and why should I want to take a chance on my star running back(any player) blowing a knee against a team w/a losing record.

 

It was my understanding the playoffs were changed way back when to give more teams the opportunity to get to the playoffs, now it is a financial burden for some schools to travel not to mention the home teams losing money. Therefore, go back to the 2 team playoffs, if you are not good enough to finish 1/2 then work harder in the off season, IMO!!

Why not do it like the early season bowl games let the number 1 host a 2 game deal with 4 playing 1 and 3 playing 2 that would keep the higher ranking schools from losing money it should be a much bigger gate and add alot of excitment to the district to assure you would get to see the big dogs play. you know at least the two top teams would bring a crowd. it would be as good as the later rounds possibly.

In 1A, dist 5/6 there has been a few yrs where all dist 5 teams have won.

 

I do not like the top 4 teams going to the playoffs myself. I am all for the old ways of just the top two teams competing. I know, sending 4 teams gives everyone an opportunity to make the playoff, well that is great. However, why were the playoffs changed this yr, to cut back on expenses/travel. The home teams, most of the time, lose money due to the fact the visiting team does not bring a crowd. Who wants to watch a 2-8 team play a 9-1 team?

 

I know also, everyone has a chance on any given night but lets face facts. Some of the teams in the playoffs have no business being there and why should I want to take a chance on my star running back(any player) blowing a knee against a team w/a losing record.

 

It was my understanding the playoffs were changed way back when to give more teams the opportunity to get to the playoffs, now it is a financial burden for some schools to travel not to mention the home teams losing money. Therefore, go back to the 2 team playoffs, if you are not good enough to finish 1/2 then work harder in the off season, IMO!!

 

The reason they should stay with the 4 team format is because there are good teams that could and do beat the top seeds. Yeah we usually see some big blowouts in the 1st round, but even for those kids it something they will remember the rest of the life because they played in the playoffs. Also then some districts are just tougher than other districts so why should teams in the tougher districts get penalized for that when maybe there are two teams in a weak district that make it. With 4 teams making it, you usually are assure that are the best teams made the playoffs, and that is shown by how there is sometime a 3 or a 4 seed that makes a deep run in the playoffs. The playoffs with having the 4 teams make it is perfect. The only thing they should go back to is letting them play other districts in the first round. I know I am really against having to play your own district again in the playoffs to start off with...

The reason they should stay with the 4 team format is because there are good teams that could and do beat the top seeds. Yeah we usually see some big blowouts in the 1st round, but even for those kids it something they will remember the rest of the life because they played in the playoffs. Also then some districts are just tougher than other districts so why should teams in the tougher districts get penalized for that when maybe there are two teams in a weak district that make it. With 4 teams making it, you usually are assure that are the best teams made the playoffs, and that is shown by how there is sometime a 3 or a 4 seed that makes a deep run in the playoffs. The playoffs with having the 4 teams make it is perfect. The only thing they should go back to is letting them play other districts in the first round. I know I am really against having to play your own district again in the playoffs to start off with...

 

If they keep the playoffs the way they are for this yr, playing inside your own dist, then they should go back to just the top two teams. I would bet if you go back and check, the 1/2 seeds in the dist usually comes out. Not very often does the 3/4 seed go too far, occassionally maybe.

 

It is great to give everyone a chance but that gets financially difficult for some schools and it is just not worth driving 2/3 hrs on a bus to get your brains beat out(old playoffs). What about the dist that only have 4 teams. I know next yr in our dist there will only be 4, what a joke! Like I said, if you don't make it work harder next yr. Maybe not making it would give your teams an incentive to work harder.

There has to be a first week!!! If not, there is no second week!!!! In all seriousness, that is why they play the games folks. They're not played on paper.

I believe Bourbon Co won the State Championship in 1997 as a three or four seed. NCC was a three seed in 2000 and was State Runner-up.

 

Wow, football has changed in Paris, well at least in the County school. Bourbon is currently on a 3 year losing streak.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.