Kansas 85 Duke 81 OT

16thBBall Fan

I guess you could say that Duke underachieved. They didn't win anything in the ACC and didn't make the Final Four.

Plus, they were 3.5 point favorites today over the one seed. That speaks volumes.

The issue with Duke and it has been an issue over the last couple of years and that is defense. Duke went to this gimmicky zone and it at times looked like a 4-1 zone and they left shooters wide open all day long. Other than some pull-up threes, most of KU's three point attempts were wide open.

I thought that Duke didn't handle the late game sitch very well or at least was very questionable.

Duval driving and turning it over out of a timeout. Duval shooting a 3 from the corner. Not getting Bagley touches.

It will be interesting to see who all leaves Duke.

Bagley and Carter for sure. Does Trent make the jump? He will be key for next year because if he leaves they will be devoid of shooters next year.

Their incoming class is unreal, but a couple of them play the same position.

Agree with all that

Am worried about shooting next year as well

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess you could say that Duke underachieved. They didn't win anything in the ACC and didn't make the Final Four.

Plus, they were 3.5 point favorites today over the one seed. That speaks volumes.

The issue with Duke and it has been an issue over the last couple of years and that is defense. Duke went to this gimmicky zone and it at times looked like a 4-1 zone and they left shooters wide open all day long. Other than some pull-up threes, most of KU's three point attempts were wide open.

I thought that Duke didn't handle the late game sitch very well or at least was very questionable.

Duval driving and turning it over out of a timeout. Duval shooting a 3 from the corner. Not getting Bagley touches.

It will be interesting to see who all leaves Duke.

Bagley and Carter for sure. Does Trent make the jump? He will be key for next year because if he leaves they will be devoid of shooters next year.

Their incoming class is unreal, but a couple of them play the same position.

No argument with any of that but I don’t feel disappointed in how they played today like I did in pretty much all of the losses they had this year. They definitely underachieved this season. That isn’t debatable.

It doesn’t matter because Coach Cal can’t hold Coach K’s jock.

Sorry, I do zero social media so I am not getting this #TheObsession stuff. Are you saying I am obsessed with K or Cal?

Or are you saying other people are obsessed about Cal as coach? If that is what you are saying, I agree and that was the point of my comment. It wasn't about K and Duke. Trust me, I don't think Cal is as good a coach as Coach K. My comment was about how the Cal haters give K a pass on the same stuff they kill Cal over. Is this where I say ...

#Hypocrits or maybe #Haters or is #TheObsession what I should have posted?

Sorry, I do zero social media so I am not getting this #TheObsession stuff. Are you saying I am obsessed with K or Cal?

Or are you saying other people are obsessed about Cal as coach? If that is what you are saying, I agree and that was the point of my comment. It wasn't about K and Duke. Trust me, I don't think Cal is as good a coach as Coach K. My comment was about how the Cal haters give K a pass on the same stuff they kill Cal over. Is this where I say ...

#Hypocrits or maybe #Haters

#TheObsession is how UK fans constantly obsess about themselves compared to Duke, UL, UNC, etc. The narrative after Duke losing seems to be...”well when Cal loses with this talent everyone says Cal can’t coach. What about Coach K?”

Fact is, Coach K has been getting killed for how he’s handled Grayson the past 3 years, talking crap about the kid from Oregon, copying off of UK and landing one and dones, admitting Marvin Bagley and his mysterious transcripts into Duke, playing a zone defense instead of his trademark man to man defense, not getting Bagley more touches inside, not taking Trevon Duval out of the game in late game foul situations, telling his team to slap the floor while playing zone defense, not getting Bagley more touches, putting Wendell Carter back in the game with 2 fouls in the first half(he then picked up his third within a minute of hitting the floor), inability to make adjustments during the game and not calling a timeout at the end of regulation to set up a better play even though Grayson’s shot just rimmed out. So you’ll have to forgive me if I laugh and put a hashtag on UK fans complaining about Calipari’s treatment on a day when UK didn’t even play and all I see is Coach K in some cases deservedly being criticized for things he has or hasn’t done. Just because you don’t see Coach K being criticized doesn’t mean it isn’t happening. When a tree falls in the forest and no one is around it still makes a sound.

^

I look at that whole thing from this angle.

The fact that a coach as good as Coach K doesn't win with all that talent proves that it isn't automatic that you should win just because you have talent. Dean Smith proved it for years and years. Coach K doesn't win just because he has talent. He wins because he is a great coach. And likewise Cal should not be expected to win it just because he has a lot of talent. Subtle but important difference in what I am saying and what you said. I am not saying K should be criticized for not winning. I am saying talent doesn't automatically win. I am saying a Coach as great as K losing proves that people should not expect it to be automatic that Cal wins.

^

The fact that a coach as good as Coach K doesn't win with all that talent proves that it isn't automatic that you should win just because you have talent. Dean Smith proved it for years and years. Coach K doesn't win just because he has talent. He wins because he is a great coach. And likewise Cal should not be expected to win it just because he has a lot of talent. Subtle but important difference in what I am saying and what you said. I am not saying K should be criticized for not winning. I am saying talent doesn't automatically win. I am saying a Coach as great as K losing proves that people should not expect it to be automatic that Cal wins.

Unfortunately for coaches like Cal and K, Roy Williams, Bill Self they will always be over analyzed and criticized the most and the loudest when they don’t win since they all have the lock on the best talent. In a one game scenario anything can and will happen. I’ve never bought the argument that Cal isn’t a good coach even though he only has one title since he came to UK but I will always take the opportunity to be a thorn in the side of UK fans when they have become a thorn in my side over Duke/Coach K. It’s only fair. :lol2:

^

Expectations are impossible to match these days for those guys. I also feel like anyone who watches a certain team enough during the year has an idea if that team is capable of winning it all. Other than the 2015 and 2010 UK teams I don’t think there were any UK teams that anyone felt supremely confident would win it all that didn’t. I knew Duke was talented enough to win it this year but other than 2015 and 2011 I can’t say I felt like I thought Duke was good enough to win it. Now, losing to Lehigh and Mercer sucked big time and even losing to South Carolina sucked last year until South Carolina made the Final Four but more often than not it is easy to see when a team has underachieved or overachieved and there has been instances of both of that with Coach K and Coach Cal over the years. It’s part of the game though. Always will be.

Why did Duke quit going inside, they were scoring virtually every trip and I believe they win if they continue driving and feeding the post.:idunno:

I think Bagley only touched the ball once in OT.

This always happens at the ends of games. Why it’s so important to have stellar guard play in the tournament. Not only for scoring purposes, but to be smart enough and aware to get the big man the ball.

Question for people (Seriously) Will this season be considered a disappointment for Duke? For the following reasons:#1 Recruiting Class, Consensus #1 Pre-Season ranking, did not win either the ACC regular season title or the ACC tournament title, and finally did not make the final 4.

By Duke's standards. Yes. Just like Kentucky not making the Final Four is one as well. Any year those teams don't make a Final Four (unless a couple major injuries) then it should be at least a little disappointing.

But I think it also depends on when you set the expectation. I set mine at the beginning of every season that I want them to make at least a Final Four. If I was a Duke fan, I think I'd feel the same. At times, you have to adjust expectation before the tournament starts.

If a Coach Cal team had the players and results Duke did this year, the haters would be all over him after a loss like this one. Claims that all he can do is recruit; he can't win with the best players; he can't coach to game situations (no time out!?! ... what was that last play he called for Allen?).

Do you think the haters are not all over the place ragging on Coach K?

This one was what a person would hope for in a game between two traditional powers with H.O.F. coaches.

Yes, I was pulling for Kansas and freely admit that G. Allen missed the shot at the end of regulation that may very well would've won the game for Duke. A cheap shot player got what imo he deserved. Should he and others had passed the ball inside more often then Duke may have won.

It was a good game to watch even though I had no rooting interest in either team. I was kind of glad for Bill Self. He catches way too much flack. He is a solid coach and had Kansas in contention every year.

I agree. People say stuff about Self all the time, and it cracks me up. I'm not a Kansas fan, but I like Self.

As of last night, he got his 47th tournament win. During this tourney, he has passed Bobby Knight & Lute Olsen, and has tied John Wooden for all time tournament wins.

This is his 3rd Final Four. Only 15 coaches in history have been to 4 or more.

He's only 56, and has only been a head coach for 21 years.

A good coach takes away what a team does best. This notion of passing the ball to Bagley comes with stipulations. First Bagley wasn't strong enough to get deep enough position a lot of times in the post. Second, they were double teaming Bagley on his post touches and leaving Duvall open. Which is why Duvall had the most shot attempts. You adjust and I thought Duke adjusted at times...Carter didn't play well and I think that's what hindered us last night. Disappointing year; probably yes, but it was a good game last night that quite honestly I think Duke should have won.....this is a reoccurring theme for me and basketball this season....lol