Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

1978 NCAA Champions 40 years later

Featured Replies

Big reunion this weekend for the '78 Wildcat Team. (First such meeting without Mike Phillips. :cry:)

 

Thought I'd post this link that covered a press conference with them.

 

So does anyone on BGP remember this too often forgotten team and the season where they dominated the polls and won it all?

 

WATCH: 1978 Reunion Press Conference | Kentucky Sports Radio

Oh yeah...That was a great year to be a cat fan...Won the championship about 2 hrs from where I live. Anyone remember where that national championship was played?

Oh yeah...That was a great year to be a cat fan...Won the championship about 2 hrs from where I live. Anyone remember where that national championship was played?

 

St. Louis, wasn't it?

I would send you a set of steak knives, but I'm afraid that they would crucify me for putting something like that in the mail. :)

You are correct sir.. at the checkerdome.

 

On the Indiana Hoosiers home floor...

The Goose for 41. What a sweet shooter he was. His mid-range game is gone in today's game.

I remember this season so very well 40 years later.

 

1977-78 was a magical year for UK athletics. 10-1 in football and 30-2 and a National Championship in basketball. Who has ever done that?

  • Author

True story.

 

I was crushed when they lost to UNC in ‘77. I was so confident Cats would win in 78 I had a t shirt made that said “Cats NCAA Champs ‘78” !

 

Wore it to six home games that year. Had to be the first of its kind.

 

I never realized how special it was to win a title til it took 18 years todo it again.

I remember it like it was yesterday. Man those were the days. 1 year outta HS and traveling with a Regional Rock Band "Tangent" and UK with a great Football team as well. Good times. And somehow I lived through it. :lol2:

Definitely remember that team with the Purdue transfer Kyle Macy (sock wiping FT), the twin towers (Phillips and Robey), the silky lefty (Goose Givens), Claytor, and the terminating 6th man James Lee. I was always a fan of Lee and Goose after watching them in HS at the convention center in Frankfort. Speaking of "Tangent", I remember those guys to in several Frankfort venues including East Frankfort pool. Caught "Exile" at one pool party. Late 70's were a great time to be a teenager in the Capitol city.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.