Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

1978 NCAA Champions 40 years later

Featured Replies

On the Indiana Hoosiers home floor...

 

I remember the game quite well, but I didn't know this or it never registered with me. What was the reasoning behind that? Surely there was a floor in the checkerdome. Indiana didn't win the title the previous year.

I remember the game quite well, but I didn't know this or it never registered with me. What was the reasoning behind that? Surely there was a floor in the checkerdome. Indiana didn't win the title the previous year.

 

I beleive that Indiana had just ordered a new floor for the upcoming season and allowed the NCAA to use it in the Final Four. The Final Four/NCAA Tourney wasn't the cash cow it is today, they cut corners where ever they could back then.

  • Author
I remember it like it was yesterday. Man those were the days. 1 year outta HS and traveling with a Regional Rock Band "Tangent" and UK with a great Football team as well. Good times. And somehow I lived through it. :lol2:

 

Did you guys play Boyle County any?

  • Author
I beleive that Indiana had just ordered a new floor for the upcoming season and allowed the NCAA to use it in the Final Four. The Final Four/NCAA Tourney wasn't the cash cow it is today, they cut corners where ever they could back then.

 

Actually the ice rink underneath warped the checker dome floor. Flew in

I.u’s.

 

Hall had two great quips at Victory Celebration.

 

“Digger had fun at the Final Four”. This after Phelps told Joe to lighten up and enjoy the Final Four.

 

“Great winning the Title on IU’s home floor!”

My parents got to go to the game. Future UK head coach Eddie Sutton was there coaching Arkansas as well.

I'm going to the game Saturday evening, and I'm thinking about trying to get over to see if I can at least get a poster for my parents basement. Any info on what to expect, what to do even? i've never been to an autograph session

Sure did Hatz!

  • Author

I remember the Florida State Game when Hall kept Robey, Givens and Claytor on the bench for Cowan, Casey and Williams. My dad said he would never complain about Joe B. again. (well he did. :lol2:)

 

One of the all time gutsy moves ever. I totally believe that if the Cats had lost that game with that move Hall would have been fired soon after.

I remember the Florida State Game when Hall kept Robey, Givens and Claytor on the bench for Cowan, Casey and Williams. My dad said he would never complain about Joe B. again. (well he did. :lol2:)

 

One of the all time gutsy moves ever. I totally believe that if the Cats had lost that game with that move Hall would have been fired soon after.

I was at that game in Knoxville, at their old arena. When he emptied the bench and replaced his starters we thought it was the end. But it all worked out. If I’m not mistaken WKU played Syracuse in the other game that day.

  • Author
I was at that game in Knoxville, at their old arena. When he emptied the bench and replaced his starters we thought it was the end. But it all worked out. If I’m not mistaken WKU played Syracuse in the other game that day.

 

My parents were there as well.

I remember this season so very well 40 years later.

 

1977-78 was a magical year for UK athletics. 10-1 in football and 30-2 and a National Championship in basketball. Who has ever done that?

 

Florida topped it in 2006-2007 as Tim Tebow led the Gator football team to a 12-1 recored beating Ohio State in the BCS Championship game for the title, while on the basketball side, the Gators defeated Ohio State again to win their second consecutive NCAA Tournament Championship.

  • Author

The overlooked feat of this team is who they beat.

 

They defeated a Notre Dame team that joined them in the Final Four.

 

Won at Lawrence vs a Big 8 Champ Kansas.

 

Beat UNLV by 20.

 

Defeated Florida State who was Metro Regular Season Champs.

 

Miami of Ohio who upset #2 and defending champ Marquette.

 

Magic Johnson and next years Champ Michigan State.

 

Arkansas with Sidney Moncrief and company.

 

Duke with Gminski.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.