Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Will John Calipari win another title before he leaves UK?

Will John Calipari win another title before leaving UK? 47 members have voted

  1. 1. Will John Calipari win another title before leaving UK?

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Featured Replies

They're discussing this on KSR right now and I wanted to put it before BGP.

 

What do you think?

 

I say no.

  • Replies 35
  • Views 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Author

I say no mostly because I think he'll only be here two more seasons after this one.

I say yes, but that's contingent on him hanging around more than another season or two.

 

I could easily see him leaving after the 2019-2020 season when Brad graduates.

Winning titles isn't easy. Winning multiples, that much harder. 14 coaches have won 2 or more. A couple of those are head to head with him right now, including probably the greatest coach ever (or second best if you go purely by titles) - a coach who is beating him head to head on the recruiting trail right now both overall, and in the one-and-done category that Cal HAS to have to have a shot. So as it stands right now.... no, I do not think he will win another title, because I'm not sure he'll be around long enough. If he does stick around for more years than the ten he once said he would do (which is one season past this one), and if he figures out how to get back on top with the elite of elite recruits, then I could see one more.

 

But, as John Anthony said, there is a general feeling that starting to show up that perhaps the window came and went. He obviously should have gotten one in 2015. He could've gotten one in 2010 as well, and he had two other Final Fours. Again, it's hard.

I think he gets one more. I think that's a hurdle that he wants to cross before he hangs it up.

Looking at it right now I would say no. It looks like he is losing his touch on the recruiting trail. I don't think he is a good enough coach without the top tier talent to win a title.

I think so. I think he stays at UK longer than most people believe. I’d give him another 4 years or so. I think he’ll revamp his recruiting staff a bit this off season. I see quite a few 3-4 year guys on this roster. If Cal can land one more monster 1 and done class to go along with what will be in place the next couple of years. I think they can definitely get it done.

Only one coach at UK has one.

 

Only UNC and IU have coaches that won multiple titles. It’s rare.

 

Joe Hall always thought he’d win another but 1984 was as close as he got.

 

Pitino came so close but was denied. Cal had two opportunities: 2014 and 2015. 2014 cause he was there. 2015 cause he had a 38-0 squad in the Final Four.

Honestly next year may be his best chance depending on who stays.

Probably not, but that would be my answer for 99% of coaches because of the uncertainty of a single elimination tournament deciding your Championship. Of course the reverse argument of that could hold true. Love or hate him, Cal's teams are usually playing near the top of their games come tournament time, which is promising.

Honestly next year may be his best chance depending on who stays.

 

I actually agree with this. If his “good but not rock star talent” takes another step, combined with Quickley, he might have something.

I believe he will. While it may not be this year, he has a very good track record of getting teams to jell late in the season for great runs into the NCAA's. Think of 2015 and the run to the NC game.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.