Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Has the one and done killed major college basketball?

Featured Replies

  • Author

If they were able to recruit those type players, then heck yes they would take them. Those type of players only go to bigger name programs, so the fan in me never has to worry about them going after those players.

  • Replies 67
  • Views 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If they were able to recruit those type players, then heck yes they would take them. Those type of players only go to bigger name programs, so the fan in me never has to worry about them going after those players.

 

You'd be a John Feinstein fan. You should read his book, The Last Amateurs.

You'd be a John Feinstein fan. You should read his book, The Last Amateurs.

 

Great book.

I watch maybe 10% of the college basketball I did 30 years ago. The product is watered down.

In what way?

 

In Pitino’s run he had 2 Final Eights, 3 Final Fours, 1 title, and a Round if 32. Six years.

 

Cal has 1 title, 3 more Final Fours, 2 Elite Eights, one round of 32 and a tourney missed.

Check the talent pools of the two guys you are comparing and the best Coach will be obvious.......
Check the talent pools of the two guys you are comparing and the best Coach will be obvious.......

 

Is procuring talent not part of coaching? And let's not pretend some of Rick's teams were not loaded at UK and filled with more veteran players.

 

And for the record, I wish the hands of time could be turned back and Rick didn't take the Boston job, but he did and I feel Cal has restored a similar mojo, given the nature of today's sport.

At least Tubby developed the kids before they went to the NBA.

 

:lol2: :lol2::lol2::lol2::lol2::lol2::lol2::lol2::lol2::lol2::lol2:

Check the talent pools of the two guys you are comparing and the best Coach will be obvious.......

 

Not sure Pitino was without super stars. mashburn . Walker. Rhoades. Delk. Anderson. Mercer. McCarty.

 

Not really chopped liver there.

 

Cal took a team whose Center was Harrelson and another with Dakari Johnson. Pretty good work.

 

National Title team that was six deep.

Not sure Pitino was without super stars. mashburn . Walker. Rhoades. Delk. Anderson. Mercer. McCarty.

 

Not really chopped liver there.

 

Cal took a team whose Center was Harrelson and another with Dakari Johnson. Pretty good work.

 

National Title team that was six deep.

 

Nazr Mohammed spent a whole lot of years in the NBA. Let's throw him in.

As to the chart above, didnt Duke just recently "lower" themselves to One and Done?

Also I hate the one and done. I hope the G_league starts accepting these guys right out of high school. Its ridiculous that you can make big money straight out of graduating high school in any field except sports. For me as much as I have always dreamed of being a senior and hearing "My Ole Kentucky Home" on senior day, a few millions would certainly change my mind.

As to the chart above, didnt Duke just recently "lower" themselves to One and Done?

Also I hate the one and done. I hope the G_league starts accepting these guys right out of high school. Its ridiculous that you can make big money straight out of graduating high school in any field except sports. For me as much as I have always dreamed of being a senior and hearing "My Ole Kentucky Home" on senior day, a few millions would certainly change my mind.

You can already go straight to the G-League from High School.
I would much prefer the players stay 4 years, a lot of fun following them and watching them progress. I realize that will never again happen. The one and done doesn't bother me, I just wish things were different.

 

I concur.

Not making a judgment on how one and done has harmed the game, I can only say how today's college game has affected my interest. Let's see... let me give this a try. The '78 Cats: Rick Robey, Mike Phillips, Jack Givens, Kyle Macy, James Lee, Truman Claytor, Jay Shidler(my sis' favorite), Fred Cowan, Lavon Williams, Duane Casey, Scott Courts, Chris Gettlefinger, Tim Stephens(from McCreary Co.). I know I'm missing one big guy but it will come to me.

 

This year's team: Knox( is it Chuck?) , Hamidu, Cal, Jr. , Vanderbilt, Washington, Alexander , Green(can't remember his first name). Now, I'm struggling. I know it's probably my fault , but it's just not as fun(for me) as it was years ago. Like 75center said, we used to watch these kids for four years, kinda feel like we knew them a little, watched them progress over the years. Those players seemed to have more passion and pride in the jerseys they wore. I'm sure our younger readers are fine with today's game, and maybe they should be. They also probably like Justin Bieber and Kanye West. I'll take '78 game, the nut-hugging shorts and all ... and Supertramp over Bieber. I'm just an old fart, I guess.

Not making a judgment on how one and done has harmed the game, I can only say how today's college game has affected my interest. Let's see... let me give this a try. The '78 Cats: Rick Robey, Mike Phillips, Jack Givens, Kyle Macy, James Lee, Truman Claytor, Jay Shidler(my sis' favorite), Fred Cowan, Lavon Williams, Duane Casey, Scott Courts, Chris Gettlefinger, Tim Stephens(from McCreary Co.). I know I'm missing one big guy but it will come to me.

 

This year's team: Knox( is it Chuck?) , Hamidu, Cal, Jr. , Vanderbilt, Washington, Alexander , Green(can't remember his first name). Now, I'm struggling. I know it's probably my fault , but it's just not as fun(for me) as it was years ago. Like 75center said, we used to watch these kids for four years, kinda feel like we knew them a little, watched them progress over the years. Those players seemed to have more passion and pride in the jerseys they wore. I'm sure our younger readers are fine with today's game, and maybe they should be. They also probably like Justin Bieber and Kanye West. I'll take '78 game, the nut-hugging shorts and all ... and Supertramp over Bieber. I'm just an old fart, I guess.

 

Chuck Alecksinas.

 

Ironically Scott Courts transferred after season. Tim Stephens and Aleksinas would leave in the middle of next season. :thumb:

Chuck Alecksinas.

 

Ironically Scott Courts transferred after season. Tim Stephens and Aleksinas would leave in the middle of next season. :thumb:

 

I think Chuck(Aleksinas) was almost 7 ft. Big guy. I remember watching Tim play in HS. He shot the lights out at McCreary.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.