Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Covington Holy Cross 88 Beechwood 11

Featured Replies

Last comment on this... this score will not be an aberration after Beechwood plays the other top ten schools on their schedule. The JV score was 50-0 with a running clock and basically the same Beechwood kids played both games. Like another poster said, hopefully this year will help Beechwood in the years that follow. They are very young. I wish them well. Put simply, however, there was absolutely no attempt to run up a score in either game and anything to the contrary is #fakenews

 

You are right. I don't think anyone claimed they did but even if they would have, it doesn't matter. Kids are resilient. Getting crushed probably hurts the parents more than the kids. It's just sports. Learn and move on.

  • Replies 83
  • Views 15.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you both are ok with the 88-11 score when clearly it didn't have to be that way? A coach/team has control over how many fast breaks to take, how many passes to make and what type of shot to take. I just think its wrong to do that to a team.

 

I somewhat agree with you..BUT- I think it depends on what the HC staff did..meaning personel. When did they pull their starters? Don't you think that nos.7-10 or 8-12 down the HC bench (depending on how many are dressed) deserve the chance to play some- like kids that will probably see little if any time on the varsity court? What about the parents of those kids that sit game after game to watch their kid play a minute if any at all? Dont get me wrong, I feel for teams like this that can't really compete for whatever reason, and like someone said on here, it probably hurts the parents more than the kids.

So you both are ok with the 88-11 score when clearly it didn't have to be that way? A coach/team has control over how many fast breaks to take, how many passes to make and what type of shot to take. I just think its wrong to do that to a team.

 

Yes I am.

Why is everyone so jealous of Holy Cross? Maybe because they are the only team from NKy area to have a State Championship Title? From what I know.. Holy Cross had several starters out that game too.. Holy Cross played an 8th grader and lots of Freshman.... either way.. the outcome would have been the same.. Beechwood is just too young to compete with a very good Squad!!

Edited by blue11

Why is everyone so jealous of Holy Cross? Maybe because they are the only team from NKy area to have a State Championship Title? From what I know.. Holy Cross had several starters out that game too.. Holy Cross played an 8th grader and lots of Freshman.... either way.. the outcome would have been the same.. Beechwood is just too young to compete with a very good Squad!!

 

 

You make good points. I actually learned something from your post.

Edited by True blue (and gold)
Rule 2

Yes I am.

 

Guess you would, sure you think its good sportsmanship?

Why is everyone so jealous of Holy Cross? Maybe because they are the only team from NKy area to have a State Championship Title? From what I know.. Holy Cross had several starters out that game too.. Holy Cross played an 8th grader and lots of Freshman.... either way.. the outcome would have been the same.. Beechwood is just too young to compete with a very good Squad!!

 

Don't think anyone is jealous at all. HC has a good team :sssh:

I was at this game and have no complaints about how Holy Cross handled the situation. If it wasn't a required district game, Beechwood would not play Holy Cross this year. The Tigers are on their third basketball coach in three years. There also is a challenge with volleyball. The result is Beechwood is playing 2 sophomores and the rest are freshmen and 8th graders. It is a rebuild from the ground up. The new coach will be here and is committed to building the program. That is going to help bring stability and grow numbers in the program.

Holy Cross was missing two starters. They stopped pressing after the first quarter and played 2/3 zone much of the second half. They even had 7th and 8th graders playing much of the game. There was nothing more the coach could have or should have done.

Outsider question (and I may be invading on a territorial argument):

 

Does Beechwood have an issue with success in girls' sports programs?

 

Or any other program that's not football?

Guess you would, sure you think its good sportsmanship?

 

You're welcome to your opinion my friend.

I guess Holy Cross does no how to slow it down I see they only put up 22 versus South Laurel.

Outsider question (and I may be invading on a territorial argument):

 

Does Beechwood have an issue with success in girls' sports programs?

 

Or any other program that's not football?

 

On your second question, Beechwood's baseball team has been in the top 3 programs in the region for years and is consistently one of the top baseball teams in the entire state. They won the All A state championship twice in the past couple years. They have been to the state championship game in baseball.

 

The boys basketball team is a pretty consistent winner despite playing in one of the toughest districts in the state (Covington Catholic, Holmes, Covington Holy Cross). They beat Covington Catholic in 2009 in the districts. On average, they are above .500 and win 15-20 games a year over the past 10-15 years.

 

In girls sports, the success has been limited. The only sport with success has been volleyball. I did not think a lot about this till writing this post to answer your questions. Now you have me thinking.

 

Beechwood is a small school. All those boys sports I listed share athletes. Those teams have players that play basketball and football, or baseball and football. That does not happen in girls sports. It seems like the girls at Beechwood play one sport only. Maybe that is why almost all of the girls sports teams have not had success like the boys sports. In a small school, if athletes play only one sport it is more difficult to have success. You have to share athletes and the coaches have to agree to do that.

Edited by EyeOfTheTiger

I've seen this time and again. When one team's second and third string is considerably stronger than the other team's first string, it is wrong to tell those third string kids not to compete. I say that having been on both ends of this before.

I've seen this time and again. When one team's second and third string is considerably stronger than the other team's first string, it is wrong to tell those third string kids not to compete. I say that having been on both ends of this before.

 

When its 88-11 you can tell your 3rd string to not score. If it's 88-40 then I see your point. If its 60-11 I see your point. Not 88-11 though or something like 87-5.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.