Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Covington Holy Cross 88 Beechwood 11

Featured Replies

When its 88-11 you can tell your 3rd string to not score. If it's 88-40 then I see your point. If its 60-11 I see your point. Not 88-11 though or something like 87-5.

That doesn't make sense. If the score is 60-11 and your third string starts scoring, how long before it is 88-11?

 

Regardless, the third string kids should not have to simply hold the ball until time runs out. Let them play. There's more respect in that then playing keep away with the ball or giving half an effort.

  • Replies 83
  • Views 15.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When its 88-11 you can tell your 3rd string to not score. If it's 88-40 then I see your point. If its 60-11 I see your point. Not 88-11 though or something like 87-5.

 

I know I am different than most, but I don't care if the winning team keeps competing. I would rather they keep playing than go into a stall or stop playing. If the score ends up 100-10, so be it. Definitely no pressing or something like that. But I don't want the winning team to quit playing. That does no one any good and the score is already ugly. 100-10, 75-10, what's the difference?

Not saying they should stop playing but making one pass then shooting doesn't help make several passes then shoot and only take 10-12' shots not layups.

Not saying they should stop playing but making one pass then shooting doesn't help make several passes then shoot and only take 10-12' shots not layups.

 

You're kidding right?

Is this debate really still going on? Beechwood is awful. They are gonna have a lot of scores like this. Nobody did anything wrong.

Is this debate really still going on? Beechwood is awful. They are gonna have a lot of scores like this. Nobody did anything wrong.

 

Well said. I agree 100%. In my opinion this thread has run its course

��You're kidding right?

 

No I am not, there are ways to avoid this type of score and to not completely embarrass the other team.

No I am not, there are ways to avoid this type of score and to not completely embarrass the other team.

 

Holding the ball and passing it a set number of times is not a way to keep from embarrassing a team.....that is much like treating them like a 3rd grade team, not a high school varsity team.

Outsider question (and I may be invading on a territorial argument):

 

Does Beechwood have an issue with success in girls' sports programs?

 

Or any other program that's not football?

 

Beechwood doesn't have a history of success in girls sports. Cross County can be pretty good. Basketball is rarely strong. Softball the same. Swimming has some success. Volleyball has had a few good stretches. If a girl in Ft Mitchell wants a strong athletic option they often go to Notre Dame.

I've spoken to and had text message conversations with numerous folks (Holy Cross and Beechwood supporters) who said, and I'm paraphrasing, Holy Cross could have had 2 girls on the court and still won by 60 plus. The Beechies are very young and were in way over their head.

 

Both groups said Holy Cross did nothing wrong.

When its 88-11 you can tell your 3rd string to not score. If it's 88-40 then I see your point. If its 60-11 I see your point. Not 88-11 though or something like 87-5.

 

That's just like in football when the second and third string come in in a running clock situation and they just keep running the ball up the middle and don't try to pass or score, these kids practice hard day in and day out they should be allowed to show what they have learned in practice no matter the score.

 

I think it's more embarrassing to the other team when the winning teams second and third string just "go through the motions".

I know I am different than most, but I don't care if the winning team keeps competing. I would rather they keep playing than go into a stall or stop playing. If the score ends up 100-10, so be it. Definitely no pressing or something like that. But I don't want the winning team to quit playing. That does no one any good and the score is already ugly. 100-10, 75-10, what's the difference?

 

Agree.

That's just like in football when the second and third string come in in a running clock situation and they just keep running the ball up the middle and don't try to pass or score, these kids practice hard day in and day out they should be allowed to show what they have learned in practice no matter the score.

 

I think it's more embarrassing to the other team when the winning teams second and third string just "go through the motions".

 

I guess we just disagree. I think there is a point where it gets so out of hand that you tell your players to stop stealing, but go ahead and get the first defensive rebound, make the outlet pass, and walk the ball up the floor and run offense for a good minute before looking to score. I think that point is before you get to a 77 point lead.

 

 

But whatever, I've been coaching various levels for 15 years and am probably only a handful over .500. There are a lot better coaches out there then me.

I guess we just disagree. I think there is a point where it gets so out of hand that you tell your players to stop stealing, but go ahead and get the first defensive rebound, make the outlet pass, and walk the ball up the floor and run offense for a good minute before looking to score. I think that point is before you get to a 77 point lead.

 

 

But whatever, I've been coaching various levels for 15 years and am probably only a handful over .500. There are a lot better coaches out there then me.

 

We can agree to disagree with each other.

That's just like in football when the second and third string come in in a running clock situation and they just keep running the ball up the middle and don't try to pass or score, these kids practice hard day in and day out they should be allowed to show what they have learned in practice no matter the score.

 

I think it's more embarrassing to the other team when the winning teams second and third string just "go through the motions".

 

I am not telling the team who is up by A LOT to stop playing, but you can walk the ball up the floor every time you can run sets pass the ball around and then shoot. You have seen a lot of basketball and so have I and the games that are good those teams are making a lot more than 1 or 2 passes.

If some of you are ok with layups which is an easy shot than any being up by 60 well then there is no changing your mind but an 88-11 score is ridiculous especially against 8th, freshman and sophomores.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.