5A #1 Covington Catholic vs. #9 Highlands

Pete W

Who wins Covington Catholic or Highlands  

133 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins Covington Catholic or Highlands

Blitzing Mayer probably helps him. He is very smart in his reads, gets rid of the ball very quickly and has big receivers for targets where he can take chances on 50-50 throws.

I think you force him to throw fast or decide to run. Letting him sit back in the pocket and pick apart the much smaller DB's for Highlands is not smart IMO.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jenkins or Trimble Co could've put 63 on the Birds last year. That was then and this is now.

I think the Birds will have their hands full but Huddy has brought tremendous energy to a defense that has gotten better each game.

If AJ has time to throw and room to scramble this could be a long night but I think the Birds will mix a lot of blitzes and keep the Colonels off balance.

Was just a observation....I for one am in the camp that thinks this might be competitive.

Yes. QB read option plays. QB draw. QB sneaks and straight ahead power runs in short yardage. Plus scrambling on pass plays. Chatard had a 3rd and 15 play perfectly defended, had a LB spying on Mayer, Mayer couldn't find an open WR, scrambled and just ran away from the LB spy to pick up the first down. Very few QB's could have made that play.

I feel like that is the difference maker, I saw him as a junior and he was pretty good at taking what the defense gave him. Highlands will have trouble stopping him.

I feel like that is the difference maker, I saw him as a junior and he was pretty good at taking what the defense gave him. Highlands will have trouble stopping him.

AJ is the straw that makes that team stir for sure. He is just a tremendous athlete. I hope he gets to play right away at Miami after that buffoonery on Saturday by the current QB,

Highlands has won 18 of the last 21 games played between these schools. CCH was probably favorite in some games they lost. Just saying.

Really? ...I sure don't recall many. I remember a lot of "maybe THIS will be the year" years in the course of the last decade or so, but I don't recall many "Cov Cath is the favorite" years. Last season and 2006 are the only times I can really remember Cov Cath being anywhere near favorite for the game.

Anyone else?

Really? ...I sure don't recall many. I remember a lot of "maybe THIS will be the year" years in the course of the last decade or so, but I don't recall many "Cov Cath is the favorite" years. Last season and 2006 are the only times I can really remember Cov Cath being anywhere near favorite for the game.

Anyone else?

I honestly don't think in 2006 that CovCath was suppose to win that 1st game at HHS, the 2nd game in the playoffs, now that was a different story!

Anyone else?

This is exactly right.

Anyone else?

First game in 2015 at CovCath. I would think many felt that they were the favorites for that first game. The second game (playoffs), no they were not.