June 6, 20179 yr Author Fine, here from personal experience. 230 lbs. Diet: P 210 g, Carbs 210g, rest from fats. (2400 Carbs came from fresh fruit, oatmeal, quinoa, and vegetables. Additionally, alcohol on the weekends (bourbon and beer). 206 lbs P 210g, Carbs 100, rest from fats (2400 calories) Carbs from more vegetables, trace carbs from nuts/seeds, fruit Drank organic wine on weekends. I didn't change anything else. Still exercised the same (weights, jiu jitsu, sprints). Inflammation and the effects of grains really impacted the amount of water I carried. It was crazy. My issue wasn't lack of self-control. I was actually extremely frustrated by my weight. It didn't make mathematical sense. I had to really dive in to learn about insulin and glucose better. Additionally, I learned about gretin, leptin, and other hormones that regulate hunger and satiety. Beyond that, many of these foods are addictive. If you don't know what you are doing, you are going to get to the point where it is almost too late. It isn't as easy as saying, it is just a lack of self-control or will power.
June 6, 20179 yr I just finished reading the attached book. Very easy read, and you don't have to read the entire book to get the gist: the amount of added sugar in foods (often with misleading names such as fructose, sucrose, dextrose, maltose, barley malt, corn syrup, rice syrup, etc) that the public believes is "healthy" is quite staggering. As with everything, the truth lies somewhere in the middle (between deceptive marketing techniques and personal responsibility). But it's very easy for the uneducated to inadvertently "harm" themselves, every time they ingest something. Zero Sugar Diet: The 14-Day Plan to Flatten Your Belly, Crush Cravings, and Help Keep You Lean for Life: David Zinczenko, Stephen Perrine: 978
June 6, 20179 yr Shout out to my mom and dad for passing on whatever genes or metabolism that has allowed me to continue to eat whatever I want! :thumb:
June 6, 20179 yr I just finished reading the attached book. Very easy read, and you don't have to read the entire book to get the gist: the amount of added sugar in foods (often with misleading names such as fructose, sucrose, dextrose, maltose, barley malt, corn syrup, rice syrup, etc) that the public believes is "healthy" is quite staggering. As with everything, the truth lies somewhere in the middle (between deceptive marketing techniques and personal responsibility). But it's very easy for the uneducated to inadvertently "harm" themselves, every time they ingest something. Zero Sugar Diet: The 14-Day Plan to Flatten Your Belly, Crush Cravings, and Help Keep You Lean for Life: David Zinczenko, Stephen Perrine: 978345547989: Amazon.com: Books While I don't strictly practice this for myself, I have read into it and I do try to make better choices when purchasing food. I now have the means to be choosy if I choose to. You know what I am best at? Choosing dog foods, and making dog foods and treats. I had a dog with a corn and wheat allergy, and now have one wother other health issues. If only I practiced as good of care for myself. :lol2: I really, really need to do better.
June 6, 20179 yr Fine, here from personal experience. 230 lbs. Diet: P 210 g, Carbs 210g, rest from fats. (2400 Carbs came from fresh fruit, oatmeal, quinoa, and vegetables. Additionally, alcohol on the weekends (bourbon and beer). 206 lbs P 210g, Carbs 100, rest from fats (2400 calories) Carbs from more vegetables, trace carbs from nuts/seeds, fruit Drank organic wine on weekends. I didn't change anything else. Still exercised the same (weights, jiu jitsu, sprints). Inflammation and the effects of grains really impacted the amount of water I carried. It was crazy. My issue wasn't lack of self-control. I was actually extremely frustrated by my weight. It didn't make mathematical sense. I had to really dive in to learn about insulin and glucose better. Additionally, I learned about gretin, leptin, and other hormones that regulate hunger and satiety. Beyond that, many of these foods are addictive. If you don't know what you are doing, you are going to get to the point where it is almost too late. It isn't as easy as saying, it is just a lack of self-control or will power. I think this post and topic has definitely been interesting. But I'll pose the question, what percentage of the overweight population are really focusing on their diet and realizing now that they were potentially eating the wrong "healthy" things, like maybe yourself? Feels like it wouldn't be a lot. The real obesity/overweight problem in America are the people that aren't paying attention whatsoever because of laziness or lack of carrying and it really doesn't matter what information is out there, they weren't following it anyway. I simply ask because I weigh 227 currently. Could get down to 215 if I really wanted to and focused, cause I have. And I bet I could take it even further. I just don't feel like it. So many others out there that truly have weight issue, they probably aren't paying any attention to any of this information that's provided either way and that's our country's real problem. Isn't it?
June 6, 20179 yr Shout out to my mom and dad for passing on whatever genes or metabolism that has allowed me to continue to eat whatever I want! :thumb: I hate you. :lol2: ... signed all the people who struggle when just smelling food.
June 6, 20179 yr Author I think this post and topic has definitely been interesting. But I'll pose the question, what percentage of the overweight population are really focusing on their diet and realizing now that they were potentially eating the wrong "healthy" things, like maybe yourself? Feels like it wouldn't be a lot. The real obesity/overweight problem in America are the people that aren't paying attention whatsoever because of laziness or lack of carrying and it really doesn't matter what information is out there, they weren't following it anyway. I simply ask because I weigh 227 currently. Could get down to 215 if I really wanted to and focused, cause I have. And I bet I could take it even further. I just don't feel like it. So many others out there that truly have weight issue, they probably aren't paying any attention to any of this information that's provided either way and that's our country's real problem. Isn't it? I don't think that there is 1 real problem. It is a combination of factors touched on in here. This thread was to highlight one of the major factors. I'd say the factors are 1. Willful neglect/personal responsibility 2. Willful lying to the public regarding nutrition 3. Sloth (which, in many cases, is a result of foods impact on already overweight individuals) 4. Lack of education 5. Lack of access to healthy alternatives whether due to finance or geography.
June 6, 20179 yr I don't think that there is 1 real problem. It is a combination of factors touched on in here. This thread was to highlight one of the major factors. I'd say the factors are 1. Willful neglect/personal responsibility 2. Willful lying to the public regarding nutrition 3. Sloth (which, in many cases, is a result of foods impact on already overweight individuals) 4. Lack of education 5. Lack of access to healthy alternatives whether due to finance or geography. Not to mention there are often other underlying issues, both mentally and physically that can be at play.
June 6, 20179 yr Y'all are cracking me up. I have no idea how you think I was being condescending. And your grocery lists and amonuts spent for 2 people...those are about the dollar amounts I used to have for a month of groceries for me and 2 kids age 2 & 5. For a whole I qualified for commodities, but working my way up to better pay meant I worked my way out of free powdered eggs, canned beef and pork, powdered milk and copious numbers of huge boxed of corn flakes and cheerios...and the cheese. Listen, it's pretty much a punch in the gut to see you say I am being condescending while reading your grocery lists and remembering how I prayed slmy family would have some extra tomatoes or cucumbers because I couldn't afford them. And let's not even talk about fruit. You can call me whatever you like. You obviously are very fortunate to not have had to make those choices. This is pretty much the situation my girlfriend was in when we met about 16+ years ago. Had three daughters at home, approximately 14, 9 and 7, making $8.50 an hour, no benefits and no child support from ex. Would drive down on the weekend to see them and would literally barely be any food in the house at times. I bought a house and told them to come live with me, couldn't watch them struggle like that when I could help prevent it.
June 6, 20179 yr By the way, I read much of this thread while chomping on an apple and drinking water at my desk from a gallon jug. Trying to make some better choices myself...my diet for the most part isn't very good, and is heavy on "convenient". I lost some weight after my hip surgery but have put a little back on and let more sugar creep back into my diet. That I have to watch.
June 6, 20179 yr By the way, I read much of this thread while chomping on an apple and drinking water at my desk from a gallon jug. Trying to make some better choices myself...my diet for the most part isn't very good, and is heavy on "convenient". I lost some weight after my hip surgery but have put a little back on and let more sugar creep back into my diet. That I have to watch. I'm eating Doritos and drinking a Mountain Dew :ylsuper:
June 6, 20179 yr I'm eating Doritos and drinking a Mountain Dew :ylsuper: Snack of champions?:idunno: Hardly ever drink soda's any more. Had a vanilla creme soda the other night, cookout at a friends house. Drank about half the 12 oz bottle...though good, it was so sweet I could barely stand it. Speaking of food...I have some chicken quarters I need to spice up and smoke. YUMMY!
June 6, 20179 yr I think the overall idea is correct, but to present it as some grand conspiracy to fatten up the masses is silly. The general public is by and large quite ignorant of what they should and should not be putting in their body. However, as someone with a science background I can tell you with certainty that you do not need a science background to understand what is good and bad for you. Especially when nearly every single person is literally walking around with a computer in their pocket that possesses infinite knowledge with just a few key strokes. Patient education is one of the most important aspects of healthcare providers, but that doesn't mean the individual shouldn't take personal responsibility when they can. Dr. Google is often the enemy of healthcare providers, but for basic stuff like this it can be a huge tool for people if they're willing to put in the effort.
June 6, 20179 yr Author I think the overall idea is correct, but to present it as some grand conspiracy to fatten up the masses is silly. The general public is by and large quite ignorant of what they should and should not be putting in their body. However, as someone with a science background I can tell you with certainty that you do not need a science background to understand what is good and bad for you. Especially when nearly every single person is literally walking around with a computer in their pocket that possesses infinite knowledge with just a few key strokes. Patient education is one of the most important aspects of healthcare providers, but that doesn't mean the individual shouldn't take personal responsibility when they can. Dr. Google is often the enemy of healthcare providers, but for basic stuff like this it can be a huge tool for people if they're willing to put in the effort. Isn't the whole purpose of food companies to sell as much food as they can? Do they hide sugar under many different names? Are they truthful in their advertising and labeling??? It may not be a conspiracy to fatten us up, but it is one to make people eat as much as they can. Additionally, I find most general practitioners are clueless when it comes to nutrition and exercise guidelines. They just repeat whatever the latest is in the New England Journal of Medicine, or that AHA spouts. That should worry us as well.
June 6, 20179 yr That is the point. Sensible choices. Many thought that they were and were lied to by people in authority. This should make everyone furious, but it seems like we are misdirecting the angst here. Yes, you are ultimately responsible for what you put in your mouth. The obvious garbage is on you. My issue is with passing half-truths and lies to people. Low fat will save you from the fires of Hell. Don't eat saturated fats, it'll raise your cholesterol and increase your risk of heart disease.... That's the point. People tried to do the right thing, either in moderation or all of the time. They were given the wrong set of facts to base their decision off of. That's alarming. It kind of reminds me of the whole "cigarettes don't cause cancer" campaign of my childhood which morphed into "we knowingly lied, cigarettes cause cancer and will kill you" campaign of my adult life.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.