Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

We're All Guinea Pigs in a Failed Experiment

Featured Replies

I think the bigger issue is that there are lots of reasons, and you cannot exclude the issue of access, and you can't exlude the government's role, and you can't exclude the food industry's role, and you can't exclude personal responsibility. It's actually a complex issue.

 

Since Mexitucky listed both financial and geographic access above, I assume you and MJ will now allow a discussion of those factors.

 

You can discuss whatever you'd like. When did I ever say otherwise? Hell, I haven't replied to a single one of your posts in this thread, how did I get dragged into this?

  • Replies 168
  • Views 16.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think the bigger issue is that there are lots of reasons, and you cannot exclude the issue of access, and you can't exlude the government's role, and you can't exclude the food industry's role, and you can't exclude personal responsibility. It's actually a complex issue.

 

Since Mexitucky listed both financial and geographic access above, I assume you and MJ will now allow a discussion of those factors.

 

You can list as many reason as you want. I'm in the camp that believes personal responsibility is the number one reason for our America's weight problems and it is by far.

 

Haven't we always had people that struggled to get by? Yes. For the most part, haven't we always lack of access in certain areas? Yes. Heck, me asking and answering those two questions just bumps up's @mexitcuky's idea about the government to an even larger factor.

What other posts did I have that said anything about people having access to grocery stores other than asking that question and answering his follow-up?

 

I don't think it's the government's fault that people are unhealthy. I don't agree with him in any way, shape, or form about that. Neither do quite a few others in here.

 

1. You said everyone had access to agrocery store within a 15 minute drive which a) ignores the fact that not everyone is a car owner and b) you fail to understand what options are actually in a lot of those grocery stores.

 

2. You continually assert that this obesity is brought on by only ONE thing.

 

So yes, your intent was blindingly clear.

Again. "The poorest of the poor". Seriously. C'mon man. That is NOT what we are talking about.

 

Your verbiage and language continues to assert that these are extreme examples when I can assure you they aren't. It's not just the West End. Go to any number of rural counties sprinkled throughout our state and checkout what food they have access too.

 

If eating powdered eggs and having powdered milk, because it's all you can afford isn't towards the "poorest of the poor", what is? And I don't mean that at a slight as all but that sounds accurate to me.

 

And happy for @rockmom that she was able to pull herself up and out of having to live like that but to me that sounds like an extreme. Same as the person that eats caviar every night and has a personal chef, that sounds like the other extreme and I didn't think that those were the type of people we'd be talking about that would pay any attention to any type of study either way.

Edited by MJAlltheWay24

1. You said everyone had access to agrocery store within a 15 minute drive which a) ignores the fact that not everyone is a car owner and b) you fail to understand what options are actually in a lot of those grocery stores.

 

 

Umm, he asked me about Cincinnati, and I gave him an answer that was to the best of my knowledge, which I stated in my post. I also said that to me that didn't seem to be unreasonable. I made no comments on other cities or areas because I don't know about them.

 

So you know what is in grocery stores all throughout the Cincinnati area? You've been in the OTR Kroger? I have. They have healthy options.

 

2. You continually assert that this obesity is brought on by only ONE thing.

 

So yes, your intent was blindingly clear.

 

Is it the only factor? Probably not, but it is the overwhelming cause IMO. My only comment in this thread regarding financial costs is that it isn't that much more expensive to eat smart. That's it. Can that difference in cost exclude some from being able to? I'll acknowledge that it can, but I don't think those situations are very prevalent.

You know Axe body spray won't actually get you more women either.

 

Wait. What? I wish someone would've told me this sooner. :idunno:

  • Author

Here's something that I think that we can agree on. Juvenile, Type II Diabetes is going to be the factor, or a major contributing factor in more early (pre 40s) deaths than any other health factor in the next 20 years and it isn't even going to be close. Now, we can blame those kids for their bad life choices, but sugar is an addictive toxin and they didn't really choose to start on it. They have no clue and know no better. Their parents should, but that is a THEM issue and one of personal choice. Let's focus in on what is going to bankrupt us.

 

So you have MILLIONS of these kids with insulin issues, cancer issues, early senility if they blast past 40. We'll be doomed. What we need is better nutritional education in the schools. We need to not allow fast food companies in our Elementary and Middle Schools. We need better education with Pediatric Medical Professionals. We need to treat childhood obesity like a disease and hold parents feet to the fire no less than if they were beating their child b/c that is what they are doing to their organs by not removing the garbage from their house. If my 6 year old starts smoking my cigarets, I have to answer to state authorities. If my kid is crushing Hot Pockets, Mountain Dew, and Potato chips for dinner...eh, it's America. Both are equally as bad.

 

Let's say the parents start to try. They take their child, who is too young for a nutritionist, to the doctor. The doctor says, "Weight loss requires you to burn more calories than you take in (not accurate)." "Eat less fat, eat a little more protein, and eat complex carbs (don't worry too much about the source)." Boom, kid loses first 30 lbs b/c that's what new dieters do. Then what? All of the factors that caused insulin resistance are still prevalent in the diet. Kid is doing what a lot of professionals hold as the healthy way to eat. They BELIEVE that b/c of the studies that have been brought to the forefront (sponsored by Coca Cola, the Sugar Council, whoever).

Edited by mexitucky

Here's something that I think that we can agree on. Juvenile, Type II Diabetes is going to be the factor, or a major contributing factor in more early (pre 40s) deaths than any other health factor in the next 20 years and it isn't even going to be close. Now, we can blame those kids for their bad life choices, but sugar is an addictive toxin and they didn't really choose to start on it. They have no clue and know no better. Their parents should, but that is a THEM issue and one of personal choice. Let's focus in on what is going to bankrupt us.

 

So you have MILLIONS of these kids with insulin issues, cancer issues, early senility if they blast past 40. We'll be doomed. What we need is better nutritional education in the schools. We need to not allow fast food companies in our Elementary and Middle Schools. We need better education with Pediatric Medical Professionals. We need to treat childhood obesity like a disease and hold parents feet to the fire no less than if they were beating their child b/c that is what they are doing to their organs by not removing the garbage from their house. If my 6 year old starts smoking my cigarets, I have to answer to state authorities. If my kid is crushing Hot Pockets, Mountain Dew, and Potato chips for dinner...eh, it's America. Both are equally as bad.

 

No issues with any of this.

 

See, we can find common ground. :thumb: :D

Here's something that I think that we can agree on. Juvenile, Type II Diabetes is going to be the factor, or a major contributing factor in more early (pre 40s) deaths than any other health factor in the next 20 years and it isn't even going to be close. Now, we can blame those kids for their bad life choices, but sugar is an addictive toxin and they didn't really choose to start on it. They have no clue and know no better. Their parents should, but that is a THEM issue and one of personal choice. Let's focus in on what is going to bankrupt us.

 

So you have MILLIONS of these kids with insulin issues, cancer issues, early senility if they blast past 40. We'll be doomed. What we need is better nutritional education in the schools. We need to not allow fast food companies in our Elementary and Middle Schools. We need better education with Pediatric Medical Professionals. We need to treat childhood obesity like a disease and hold parents feet to the fire no less than if they were beating their child b/c that is what they are doing to their organs by not removing the garbage from their house. If my 6 year old starts smoking my cigarets, I have to answer to state authorities. If my kid is crushing Hot Pockets, Mountain Dew, and Potato chips for dinner...eh, it's America. Both are equally as bad.

 

Not arguing against you. But how do you enforce that? Monitor what the kids pack for lunch somehow?

  • Author
Not arguing against you. But how do you enforce that? Monitor what the kids pack for lunch somehow?

 

Take soft drinks out of the schools. Take fruit juices out of the school. If we aren't going to punish parents for killing their kids, then we need to make sure that schools don't contribute to the problem. Schools will never do it. They make too much money providing soda and fruit juice from those machines and in the lunch line. Not a huge fan of milk either, but for some of the kids, it will be the only calcium and vitamin D they get all day.

If eating powdered eggs and having powdered milk, because it's all you can afford isn't towards the "poorest of the poor", what is? And I don't mean that at a slight as all but that sounds accurate to me.

 

And happy for @rockmom that she was able to pull herself up and out of having to live like that but to me that sounds like an extreme. Same as the person that eats caviar every night and has a personal chef, that sounds like the other extreme and I didn't think that those were the type of people we'd be talking about that would pay any attention to any type of study either way.

 

MJ, I most certainly was not of the extreme. And I like to think you are not intentionally being condescending. But the tone you of your words is very dismissive of a very large segment of society. Part of me I'd happy for you that you are unaware, because that means you haven't ever had to live like that. The other part of me is upset, because your lack of awareness is indicative of societies attitude as a whole, toward that group of people who receive no benefits, but make too little to even have the opportunity to make better choices. It's not a political statement. It's just a statement of fact for millions and millions of people.

You can list as many reason as you want. I'm in the camp that believes personal responsibility is the number one reason for our America's weight problems and it is by far.

 

Haven't we always had people that struggled to get by? Yes. For the most part, haven't we always lack of access in certain areas? Yes. Heck, me asking and answering those two questions just bumps up's @mexitcuky's idea about the government to an even larger factor.

 

I don't even think you want to know.

It's always very clear when folks haven't had to live one second of their lives that would be described as "less fortunate." This thread is a good example of that.

It's always very clear when folks haven't had to live one second of their lives that would be described as "less fortunate." This thread is a good example of that.

 

You're absolutely right, I haven't. And I'm incredibly proud of that.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.