June 6, 20179 yr Isn't the whole purpose of food companies to sell as much food as they can? Do they hide sugar under many different names? Are they truthful in their advertising and labeling??? It may not be a conspiracy to fatten us up, but it is one to make people eat as much as they can. Additionally, I find most general practitioners are clueless when it comes to nutrition and exercise guidelines. They just repeat whatever the latest is in the New England Journal of Medicine, or that AHA spouts. That should worry us as well. If you're depending on a corporation to tell you the complete and honest truth then that's your fault as well. You know Axe body spray won't actually get you more women either. Companies are beholden to shareholders not consumers. To respond to the second part, I cannot possibly speak to the knowledge of the general practitioners you have personally seen. I can speak to what is taught in medical school currently and nutrition and preventive medicine is a key element. I'd post lectures to prove it, but the intellectual property police would be beating down my door in a minute so you're just going to have to take my word for it.
June 6, 20179 yr Author If you're depending on a corporation to tell you the complete and honest truth then that's your fault as well. You know Axe body spray won't actually get you more women either. Companies are beholden to shareholders not consumers. To respond to the second part, I cannot possibly speak to the knowledge of the general practitioners you have personally seen. I can speak to what is taught in medical school currently and nutrition and preventive medicine is a key element. I'd post lectures to prove it, but the intellectual property police would be beating down my door in a minute so you're just going to have to take my word for it. Give me a brief synopsis over what is currently recommended for an average, healthy American.
June 6, 20179 yr I get it. And I don't disagree. My point is only that not everyone is in the same situation as you. Access is a major problem in many urban areas. For many, convenience can outweigh the monetary savings. http://www.cincinnati.com/story/money/2017/06/06/kroger-build-its-first-downtown-cincinnati-supermarket-since-1969/361370001/ Good news for downtown Cincinnati residents!
June 6, 20179 yr Give me a brief synopsis over what is currently recommended for an average, healthy American. Raw numbers will vary widely from person to person depending on age, sex, nutritional status, and weight loss or gain desires. However, in general ~50-60% of caloric intake should come from carbohydrates, no more than 30% should come from fatty acids, and the remaining from protein.
June 6, 20179 yr Author Raw numbers will vary widely from person to person depending on age, sex, nutritional status, and weight loss or gain desires. However, in general ~50-60% of caloric intake should come from carbohydrates, no more than 30% should come from fatty acids, and the remaining from protein. That's my point. That is the Standard American Diet. That is the problem. Almost all people don't require that many carbohydrates. Particularly those sitting behind a desk 8-10 hours a day. That isn't a healthy diet for non-athletes.
June 6, 20179 yr That's my point. That is the Standard American Diet. That is the problem. Almost all people don't require that many carbohydrates. Particularly those sitting behind a desk 8-10 hours a day. That isn't a healthy diet for non-athletes. While carbohydrates aren't essential per se, the brain, red blood cells, and a portion of the kidney called the medulla are almost exclusively dependent on them. If you were to restrict carbohydrates to less than 60 g/day you'd cause ketosis,electrolyte imbalance, and muscular wasting all of which lead to bad things themselves.
June 6, 20179 yr Author That's my point. That is the Standard American Diet. That is the problem. Almost all people don't require that many carbohydrates. Particularly those sitting behind a desk 8-10 hours a day. That isn't a healthy diet for non-athletes. There is a group of doctors/scientists who are now telling patients, if you want to lose weight eat less calories, eat less fat. Women get down into the 1500-1800 calorie range of that 60% come from carbs. That's 225-270 grams of carbs. Most of those carbs are coming from grains and cereals (whole grain mind you). What happens to your body when you eat grains and cereals??? Do they discuss that? What happens when you aren't sprinting or doing anaerobic exercises and you eat that much, basically, sugar?
June 6, 20179 yr Author While carbohydrates aren't essential per se, the brain, red blood cells, and a portion of the kidney called the medulla are almost exclusively dependent on them. If you were to restrict carbohydrates to less than 60 g/day you'd cause ketosis,electrolyte imbalance, and muscular wasting all of which lead to bad things themselves. Not true, completely. Ketones can power the brain. That is why the Ketogenic Diet works for those who suffer from epilepsy and neurological disease. The body adapts its energy source. Fats are more energy dense, but the body was designed to survive on them (animal fats) as well as carbohydrates that they found via fruits and vegetables.
June 6, 20179 yr Not true, completely. Ketones can power the brain. That is why the Ketogenic Diet works for those who suffer from epilepsy and neurological disease. The body adapts its energy source. Fats are more energy dense, but the body was designed to survive on them (animal fats) as well as carbohydrates that they found via fruits and vegetables. Nothing I said is untrue. And ketones can serve as a fuel source (as seen in starvation for example), but merely being viable does not make it optimal. Far from it. A well balanced diet has been and always will be the best diet for optimal health. A solid rule of thumb is that any diet that makes either a hero or a villain out of any one food is not likely to be successful.
June 6, 20179 yr Author Nothing I said is untrue. And ketones can serve as a fuel source (as seen in starvation for example), but merely being viable does not make it optimal. Far from it. A well balanced diet has been and always will be the best diet for optimal health. A solid rule of thumb is that any diet that makes either a hero or a villain out of any one food is not likely to be successful. Nothing is a villain. That is the point. For 30plus years, fat (particularly) saturated fats has been the villain. In that time period, obesity has SKYROCKETED. Why is that? If we are eating less fat than ever before, why are we fatter? It isn't just about eating too much. It's misinformation regarding this and how many carbs are actually needed that have largely led to this crisis.
June 6, 20179 yr Nothing is a villain. That is the point. For 30plus years, fat (particularly) saturated fats has been the villain. In that time period, obesity has SKYROCKETED. Why is that? If we are eating less fat than ever before, why are we fatter? It isn't just about eating too much. It's misinformation regarding this and how many carbs are actually needed that have largely led to this crisis. I think we're arguing the same thing from two different perspectives. The only part of this I took issue with was the notion that it was somehow a conspiracy by those responsible for our health that led to people having a misunderstanding of basic human health. Too many carbs are bad. Too few carbs also bad. Too much fat is bad (particularly saturated fat). Too little fat is also bad. As I've said multiple times, a well balanced diet is the best recommendation.
June 6, 20179 yr I'd say this little exchange here is a bigger part of the problem as well. Who really knows what is good for you? Every few months a new study comes out with a different opinion than the last. I'm not saying either of you are right or wrong. You are both much more education on the topic than me.
June 6, 20179 yr There is a group of doctors/scientists who are now telling patients, if you want to lose weight eat less calories, eat less fat. Women get down into the 1500-1800 calorie range of that 60% come from carbs. That's 225-270 grams of carbs. Most of those carbs are coming from grains and cereals (whole grain mind you). What happens to your body when you eat grains and cereals??? Do they discuss that? What happens when you aren't sprinting or doing anaerobic exercises and you eat that much, basically, sugar? I did the "17 Day Diet" for two years. I lost a bunch of weight but then allowed other things in my life to supplant my nutrition and exercise and have gained back. I've been thinking about starting it up again. Will you indulge me in critiquing it? It seems like a good deal of what I am hearing you say is in the book on the diet. I'll just ask about the First 17 days: Accelerate - you can eat unlimited protein (chicken, ground turkey, egg whites and fish) as well as many vegetables (cleansing vegetables - cauliflower, cabbage, broccoli, asparagus, spinach, okra, tomatoes, onions, greens, peppers, some others.) Carbs are limited by cutting out white bread, potatoes, pasta, rice, chocolate, biscuits and sugary desserts and treats. You have two servings of low sugar fruit before 2 pm. You have two probiotics per day (I always chose yogurt.) You get to have one to two tablespoons of healthy fats per day. That included olive oil and flaxseed oil. You could use low carb condiments in moderation. Lots of water and green tea were drinks to choose.
June 6, 20179 yr Author I'd say this little exchange here is a bigger part of the problem as well. Who really knows what is good for you? Every few months a new study comes out with a different opinion than the last. I'm not saying either of you are right or wrong. You are both much more education on the topic than me. Check out who pays for the study. That has to be disclosed. Follow the money.
June 6, 20179 yr Author I did the "17 Day Diet" for two years. I lost a bunch of weight but then allowed other things in my life to supplant my nutrition and exercise and have gained back. I've been thinking about starting it up again. Will you indulge me in critiquing it? It seems like a good deal of what I am hearing you say is in the book on the diet. I'll just ask about the First 17 days: Accelerate - you can eat unlimited protein (chicken, ground turkey, egg whites and fish) as well as many vegetables (cleansing vegetables - cauliflower, cabbage, broccoli, asparagus, spinach, okra, tomatoes, onions, greens, peppers, some others.) Carbs are limited by cutting out white bread, potatoes, pasta, rice, chocolate, biscuits and sugary desserts and treats. You have two servings of low sugar fruit before 2 pm. You have two probiotics per day (I always chose yogurt.) You get to have one to two tablespoons of healthy fats per day. That included olive oil and flaxseed oil. You could use low carb condiments in moderation. Lots of water and green tea were drinks to choose. Did you feel hungry? You shouldn't feel hungry when you change the way you eat. that is a recipe for disaster. I'd say that the fats were too low. I'd sub whole eggs for egg whites, or add an avocado. That is where satiety comes from. The general idea behind any change in the way you eat is not to "diet." That fails for so many reasons. It is to find the healthiest lifestyle that you will be able to follow. It isn't about 100% adherence. 80/20 is fine. If you life a healthy lifestyle, indulging at a family party, or on a Sunday with neighbors actually helps you. It allows you to reset yourself a little physiologically and psychologically.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.