Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

We're All Guinea Pigs in a Failed Experiment

Featured Replies

And who's fault is that? Surely you aren't placing the blame for that on the "MAN", are you?

 

Where do I mention that I'm placing blame on anyone, let alone "the Man"? Ultimately, blame lies on the individual. Life is about choices, and everyone has different priorities. It's just that not everyone's situation is the same, and what might be really easy for you, might not be as easy for someone else. Life isn't as cut and dry as many would like to make it out to be.

  • Replies 168
  • Views 16.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Which is a fair point and I'm sure it effects some areas. As far as what @rjs4470 referenced not sure of anywhere in Cincinnati that it would take 30 minutes to find a grocery store.

 

While I don't know for certain, I don't think there is an area of Cincinnati that you can't get to a grocery store within a 10-15 minute drive. To me that's a reasonable distance.

 

Maybe, maybe not. Try it without a owning a car and you might get different results. You'd be surprised how many people in big cities don't own vehicles. Some large cities have 25% or more of their population who don't own cars.

Maybe, maybe not. Try it without a owning a car and you might get different results. You'd be surprised how many people in big cities don't own vehicles. Some large cities have 25% or more of their population who don't own cars.

I get what you are saying, but that's not the reason the majority of Americans are overweight.

I get what you are saying, but that's not the reason the majority of Americans are overweight.

 

Yes, I realize that. There are a multitude of reasons why someone may end up overweight. But it's not always because someone is lazy.

Man, I wish I had time to really respond here. I have actually lived this. The responses here illustrate just how little people understand about the choices the working poor (in particular) have to make.

Maybe, maybe not. Try it without a owning a car and you might get different results. You'd be surprised how many people in big cities don't own vehicles. Some large cities have 25% or more of their population who don't own cars.

 

Maybe if those people used the street car during the week to go to the grocery store, it would solve that problem too.

Man, I wish I had time to really respond here. I have actually lived this. The responses here illustrate just how little people understand about the choices the working poor (in particular) have to make.

 

You can eat very healthy on a budget, people just don't want to. Plenty of ways to cut calories/sugar out without busting the budget.

 

Tuna, corn on the cob, plenty of fruits and vegetables, all super cheap. Get wheat bread instead of white. Stop buying juice and soft drinks.

 

Yeah, if you rush to Ramen noodles, then you aren't doing yourself any favors.

 

I very much disagree how little people understand about the choices of the working poor and feel like that's almost more condescending.

You can eat very healthy on a budget, people just don't want to.

 

Tuna, corn on the cob, plenty of fruits and vegetables, all super cheap.

 

Yeah, if you rush to Ramen noodles, then you aren't doing yourself any favors.

 

I very much disagree.

 

Went to Kroger last night and got food for meals for lunch & dinner for the wife and I for the week (and upcoming weekend) as well as enough to make the little guy's baby food for the next month. I think I spent just under $40. Vast majority of what I bought was fruits & veggies. Had I not bought the stuff to make his food it would've been roughly $20-$25 for the entire week.

Went to Kroger last night and got food for meals for lunch & dinner for the wife and I for the week (and upcoming weekend) as well as enough to make the little guy's baby food for the next month. I think I spent just under $40. Vast majority of what I bought was fruits & veggies. Had I not bought the stuff to make his food it would've been roughly $20-$25 for the entire week.

 

I am with you man. Is it difficult to eat extremely healthy, without nothing but organic and "Simple Truth" (which I think is a sham anyway)? Sure.

 

Is it difficult to cut calories here and there, taking other options that maybe don't taste as good but still work? Not at all. People just don't want to do it.

Don't drink your calories. Done. See how much sugar is cut out of your diet by not drinking juice and soda.

 

Somebody that is quite a bit over weight would wind up losing a decent amount from that alone.

  • Author
I am with you man. Is it difficult to eat extremely healthy, without nothing but organic and "Simple Truth" (which I think is a sham anyway)? Sure.

 

Is it difficult to cut calories here and there, taking other options that maybe don't taste as good but still work? Not at all. People just don't want to do it.

 

Cutting calories, for many isn't the issue. It's the bodies reaction to the type of calories that they are eating. Hormonal responses ensure that a calorie is not a calorie. That was the point of this article. The stigma around healthy fats is finally starting to fade.

You can eat very healthy on a budget, people just don't want to. Plenty of ways to cut calories/sugar out without busting the budget.

 

Tuna, corn on the cob, plenty of fruits and vegetables, all super cheap. Get wheat bread instead of white. Stop buying juice and soft drinks.

 

Yeah, if you rush to Ramen noodles, then you aren't doing yourself any favors.

 

I very much disagree how little people understand about the choices of the working poor and feel like that's almost more condescending.

 

Nobody cares about the working poor. Come on now.

Nobody cares about the working poor. Come on now.

 

I'm not discussing the political issue that is the working poor and how nobody cares about them. If you guys want to turn this conversation into that, let's move it to a different forum.

 

I thought we were discussing the misinformation the American public has been giving about diets and/or how expensive (which I disagree with) it is to eat healthily.

 

Can you politicize this topic? Sure. But if we do, we might as well end the original conversation.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.